Is Anthem MRX710 an upgrade over my Onkyo TX-NR5008

Youthman

• Moderators

The Onkyo has served me well.  The only issue I have is it often has trouble with HDMI handshake between it and the PS4.  Handshake between the AppleTV is flawless so there is something it doesn't like about the PS3 and the PS4.

Came across an Anthem MRX710.  Asking $600 for it (of course I'll offer less).  Wanted to see if this is a lateral move or even a step down since it's only a 7.2 receiver (vs my 9.2 Onkyo) and it is 90wpc with 5 channels driven.

I was never happy with my Onkyo. It had the power, but it didn't deliver good clean sound.

It seemed to me that distortion and harshness was ever present in my 806 when mixed with my Heritage.

I don't have any experience with anthem, but I do think there are gains to be had by switching from Onkyo multi-channel receivers.

• Moderators

I'm definitely do not have any brand loyalty to Onkyo.  I've owned Yamaha, Harman Kardon, Onkyo and Emotiva.   Honestly, I'm open to anything I can move to with little to nothing out of pocket (typical Youthman upgrade).  LOL