Just when you thought Vasubandu could not get crazier

vasubandu

My RF-7 seller may have flaked on me again, so that got me to thinking alternatives, and something popped up on my screen like some virus and say there blinking at me.  All it said was "KP 3002" over and over again until I finally looked it up.  So now I wonder it is a magical beast to replace the RF-7 or something that belongs in the back yard?

2 hours ago, vasubandu said:

My RF-7 seller may have flaked on me again

I seen they were back on Craigslist this morning. I may have a pair of Chorus II's up for sale soon, haven't decided if I'm going to let this set go or not. Hard to justify keeping a pair of the 1's, II's and my custom 362's..

That's what I have pictured under my name on the left, one of the best Klipsch speakers ever made IMHO, the "big brother" of the forte II. I'm also going to be selling my Cherry RF-5's once I pick a replacement out of the larger 3 I have on hand since I already have a second set of RF-5's. Right now my keepers are my custom 362's and one pair of RF-5's along with one pair of Chorus, just not sure if its going to be the 1's or II's yet. Once I'm done with this speaker swap and testing and decide what I'm keeping I'm clearing out my inventory of extra speakers and parts, have a whole lot of stuff just taking up space. 

Picture pulled from the webs, the Chorus II is in the middle:

Klipsch-chorusiirf83rsw15 (1000x687).jpg

@jjptkd I really don't want to have to be the one to tell you this, but you have a speaker problem. I mean, I know this may be news to you, but there are only so many speakers you can listen to at a time, and no matter how big your east side house may be, there are only so many places you can listen to them. No matter what people here may say, speakers in your garage do not count, even if they are connected to some Byzantine definition of an amp or receiver. You need to check in with speakersannonymous.org  post haste. 

Now, as a gesture of my friendship, and at great personal expense, I am willing to to give you the outlandish sum of $50 for one of your pairs of Chorus speakers purely and solely for the purpose of setting you on the path to recovery. I would offer more, but it would only encourage your disease.

• Like 1

I'm not sure there's any help for me I just made a 6 hour round trip to Portland for an empty pair of Chorus cabinets, I'm still catching shiit for that.. the wife just doesn't understand. The word "rare" has worn off on her already, need to find a new angle. B)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@jjptkdI have been married for 30 years and have little to suggest except that forgiveness is easier to obtain than permission. But if  your off-loading plans include anything that you think would work for LR in my system, let me know.  The would replace 2 JBL Stadium Venue speakers, and that should be a low bar.  Just looking for a single, not a home run.

And while I am thinking about it, why not RC-7 for left and right?

8 hours ago, vasubandu said:

@jjptkdI have been married for 30 years and have little to suggest except that forgiveness is easier to obtain than permission. But if  your off-loading plans include anything that you think would work for LR in my system, let me know.  The would replace 2 JBL Stadium Venue speakers, and that should be a low bar.  Just looking for a single, not a home run.

I ran 3 RC-7's as an L C R for a few months and they worked perfect in my bedroom system. Moved up to the RF-5's with the RC-7 center and moved the other two RC-7 to the rears. After thinking about I wanted a matched front trio so I stripped the guts out of the two RC-7's and installed them into my RF-5's so they all matched up front. After awhile decided to go only 2 channel and that's how you ended up with my old Cherry center.

I still have a pair of RC-7's with RF-5 parts deciding whether I'm going to switch everything back to where its supposed to be before selling it all off. Now that I'm strictly 2 channel wanted a larger, more efficient set of main speakers and so started my custom 362 build, which I just completed today so now the 5's need to go. 

The Klipsch pro series would work well if you had a bigger room.  Looking at the dimensions you posted in another thread you want to stick with the Reference series.  Thinner cabinets will work better in your case.

Just be patient.  99% of the speakers I've had over the years have been from Craigslist or Facebook marketplace.  Examples:

forte II $275

Chorus I $50

RB-5 II $100

KG4 $100

SC-3 $50

Funny thing is the most I've ever spent for main speakers was $1,000 for used RF-7s about 10 years ago.

Got it @wuzzer.  Check out the deal I got.  

OK, I made a decision, and it will be brilliant or a disaster.  I agreed to buy the package that the guy is selling in Craigslist for $750..  Most importantly, it has an Outlaw 7700 amplifier and an Outlaw 990 preamplifier. The 7700 has seven channels rated at 300 watts.  Its actual maximum power consumption is 1800 watts.  I hope that will keep the speakers happy.  The cheapest price I can find for a used one is $1,000, so $750 looks like a pretty good deal.  And the 990 preamplifier seems to sell for about $150, so that makes it even a better deal.  And then the deal also includes a complete set of Axiom speakers: 2 towers, center, 4 surrounds and subwoofer.  He bought it all in 2007, but Axion still sells the same package with a few upgraded models for $6,500.  He said that they are like new and based on my conversation with him, I suspect that they are.  

SO now, I either make a second home theater with Axiom speakers or find a way to sell them.  Hmm.  I think I will sell them.  Any suggestions?

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I recognize that red wall and the great photography, @Youthman  :lol:

Yup, those were my Chorus II in the photo above.  Liked my RF-7 II better for 2ch so I eventually sold them.  Sold the RF-83 after upgrading to the LaScalas.  And yes, I've always had a speaker problem but I guess there are worse issues to be had.  :lol:

16 hours ago, vasubandu said:

Those are of course center speakers in the D'appitolo MTM format.  I love the MTM sound.

The knock on center speakers used as L/R is the bass typically doesn't go as low so you would have to use a sub with them.  You would run them in the vertical position.  Your bigger problem would be finding a pair on the used market but if you could, I bet that would be a dynamite setup.

A lot of people like the 3-way speakers.  The Chorus II, La Scala and Klipschorn are all examples of 3-way horn designs.

I prefer 2-way systems, and I like the MTM sound because of the way it blends.  Here are my computer speakers, the CF-4 with dual 12" woofers:

CF-4 Computer setup right 1.jpg

• Like 1