Looking for a 5 channel amp...

Schu

I am looking for recommendations on a 5 channel amp for Home Theater duty... my preference is for a class D or Hypex based unit. 

I have seen the ATI and the NAD m27 hypex based units, but both are well over $2000 and closing in on $3000... that's eating into a budget for another purchase.

I could probably get away with a 3 channel or separates, looking for solutions I haven't thought of... or good places to buy the units mentioned above.

I've been very happy with my McIntosh MC-58 the last few years, for both HT and 2-channel.  They can be found used from $900-1200 depending on the age and condition.  They were manufactured from 2000 to around 2014, so there's lots out there.  It's a very flexible and customizable 8-channel amp.  I have mine set for 5-channel, with the front three channels bridged and the two rear channels stand-alone.  The variable input level controls on each channel are very helpful matching up with your pre-amp and/or compensating for different speaker sensitivities, as will always be the case if your L/R channels are LSII's.

2 hours ago, Schu said:

I am looking for recommendations on a 5 channel amp for Home Theater duty... my preference is for a class D or Hypex based unit. 

I have seen the ATI and the NAD m27 hypex based units, but both are well over $2000 and closing in on $3000... that's eating into a budget for another purchase.

I could probably get away with a 3 channel or separates, looking for solutions I haven't thought of... or good places to buy the units mentioned above.

Why settle for 5, when you can have 16 digital channels at your disposal.  Don't know anything about this amp, but it has been on Craigslist for some time, and does look interesting and the price is right too. 

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/ele/d/elan-16-channel-multi-room/6450744496.html

Check out the MC 7205 around $2K used and the MC 7106 which is is the overlooked real bargain in the $1.5 K range and boasts an extra channel which lets it double as an active setup for two 3-way speakers in stereo only.   Both have stellar THD numbers @ .005%,  93db 1/watt SNR number 113db at max rating.  Very, very quiet noise floor, sound is extremely transparent and unit will never lose value. Mc. quality at a budget price.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shiva said:

Why settle for 5, when you can have 16 digital channels at your disposal.  Don't know anything about this amp, but it has been on Craigslist for some time, and does look interesting and the price is right too. 

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/ele/d/elan-16-channel-multi-room/6450744496.html

For now... I am not considering a digital amp. Class d or hypex (which is still class d).

To be honest, I hadn't considerd a SS  Mac unit.

38 minutes ago, Schu said:

To be honest, I hadn't considerd a SS  Mac unit.

You should. I have been thru several over the years and keep coming back; permanent this time (I swear...really). I even went 7 channel so I can power the patio speakers without adding another amp. Honestly, to me most MCs sound very close and now I go with looks; meters on two channel, LEDs on surround, both controllable.

• Like 1

Classé Audio CAV-75 -- a multi-channel amp that can be bridged / configured to 3, 4, 5, or 6 channels.  Classé makes very smooth solid-state amps that sound great on Heritage.  Power output is 75 watts in unbridged, or 150 watts in bridged mode.  If you need more power (and you don't with Klipsch), there is also the CAV-150.

Wow!  I just found a CAV-150 for $1000.  I think these typicality run around $1500 used.  For reference, the CAV-75 usually sell for around $800 used.  If everything is in operating condition, you won't regret getting this amp.

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649395288-classe-cav150-6-channels-150-wattschannel-bridgeable/images/1709672/

1709672-classe-cav150-6-channels-150-wat

20 hours ago, USNRET said:

You should. I have been thru several over the years and keep coming back; permanent this time (I swear...really). I even went 7 channel so I can power the patio speakers without adding another amp. Honestly, to me most MCs sound very close and now I go with looks; meters on two channel, LEDs on surround, both controllable.

I would agree.  They are borderline Clinical in sound.  Not Warm, fuzzy, cloudy, slow or whatever term someone is wanting use to describe old  SS sound.   They're one of the cleanest sounding amps I have heard in the 1 watt range and extremely revealing. I will never part with mine unless my kids shoes depend on it.