Don't even bother, way too difficult

vasubandu

I am on a mission to design a new full range speaker with an many drivers that make sense.  So I arbitrarily state a range from 10 Hz to 30 kHz, and if I want to stay within the sweet spot of each driver, how many drivers do I need, and what are they? Assume that each driver will get its own amp and that the crossovers are digital.  Thanks for playing,

One of my old bosses use to always tell me "no need to reinvent the wheel" and "just about everything under the sun has been done before." if you're serious I'd commit a whole lot of time researching what has been done already along with the advantages and disadvantages of each configuration. Complexity and cost are two major factors.

Multiple drivers is one way to do it but what about the electro-static approach like Martin Logan? Similar principle in large surface area with limited amount of movement for low distortion, which is one of the benefits of multi-driver, limited band-width speaker configurations. Ribbons also do this quite well. 

@jjptkd I will devote a lot of time and effort to exactly what you suggest. As I have said, one of the attractions of audio is that so little has change, for both good and no so god reasons. As I get a better understanding of things, it does seem to me that technology has been under-applied. For example, digital crossovers seem to make a lot more sense than passive, but that of course requires a digital signal. And a lot of basic debates have not been answered.  But my sense is that technology should provide a path to audiophile sound for everyone.

1 minute ago, vasubandu said:

I see subwoofers down to 10, so was not sure.  And if 10 were feasible, why not?

I don't think you're current 120lb sub reaches down to 10hz, trying to get better performance out of a tower speaker may prove difficult at best. 

Designing a good speaker is a bit of sorcery to me, as such I'm not qualified to help you in your quest.  It seems simple at first glance.

I'm sure you can design a speaker that can hit your desired range, it's not at all impossible, it's simply impractical. But who cares about being practical?

You have a lot of design choices to make, driver choices to sort through (there many many drivers you can buy, and different types of drivers that achieve similar objectives) and a crossover network(s) to design.  There are some pretty crazy (outside the norm of a rectangle shaped speaker box) designs out there.  

I've even seen "speakers" that are mounted into drywall, making the drywall itself the speaker.  Never heard them but some say it sounds good.

2 hours ago, wdecho said:

You will not go wrong building the cornscala speaker.

I actually have been corresponding with Crites.  Told him I am probably a year out but wonder if he would take a job to build whatever he wanted, maybe something experimental that he has been thinking about without any risk of complaints.  He seems confused, but perhaps mildly interested.

2 hours ago, bkevind said:

Designing a good speaker is a bit of sorcery

And that is the allure, isn't it. If it were easy, we would have thousands of Klipsches, not just one.  I have never even tried to make a speaker, and I sure as heck do not know how to. But just imagine designing one, building it, and loving the way it sounds.  Would that not be the most amazing feeling?