New Home Theatre build - speaker advice 5.2.4 setup

mangomike

Hello I’m new to the Klipsch community and wanted to get some advice on a home theatre build. I’m designing my basement and have a large lounge 18’ w X 32’ w X 9 h. Screen will be on the 18’ wall seating about 15-20’ away. The back is open for a kitchenette/bar area.

Planning on a 120” fixed screen and wanted some advice for a 5.2.4 speaker setup. This will be over a fireplace linear 100” that will be about 34” high and 10-12” deep.

I was interested in either the pro 6502 or 6504L could work as a centre or use 250rpw lcr. Then I could use advice on the other speakers. I’ve never had in walls so i don’t really know what to look for.

I would prefer to do freestanding but I will have seating on the right side and will probably block the bottom of a speaker.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi again mangomike.  Your room is a bit bigger than mine and taller.  For over a decade, we had Paradigm Millenia speakers - 2 towers and the rest smaller units.  I bought them thinking that Paradigm makes great speakers, which they do, and that they would work well with our plasma TV.  But the truth is that they never actually filled the room with sound.  We sat 16 feet from the TV, and they always seemed to be straining to be loud enough, and even then I sort of had to strain to hear them.  

I now have some 8-inch JBL towers, an RC-7 center and RS-7 surrounds.  The JBL towers are just placeholders until I can get an RF-7 to replace them.  But all of my speakers have 8-inch woofers, and I cannot begin to say what a difference it makes.  The only way I can describe it is that sound seems to fill the room.  So given the size of your room, I would be inclined to go bigger on the speaker size.  

As long as space allowed it, you could put almost any center channel speaker on the fireplace.  I think that my RC-7 is about as big as centers get, and it is 13.5 inches deep.  If you got RF-7 or a similar tower for left and right, you should be able to arrange things.

I have not heard the pro 650-2 or 6504L, but I did manage to hear the Pro-7502-L-THX ceiling speaker, and I was surprised by how much less presence it had than my other speakers.  Other people here may be able to talk to the in-wall speakers, but my impression of the 7502 was that it would work for Atmos, but not much more.  I guess it depends on how important the absence of speakers is to you.  But I do believe that if you want a real cinematic theater effect in a room that size, you are going to need more speaker.  

I have spent a ton of time looking at subwoofers, and right now if cost were not an object, I would go with the SVS PC4000.  It is a cylinder, which just seems less obtrusive, and everything I read about them is positive.  I have not actually heard them, but I have an SVS subwoofer, and I am very impressed with the company.

Are the in-wall speakers a necessity?

Thanks Vasu

This is a sketch up of my room I’m planning on building.

We already got the sectional sofa so I think the right side will be blocked if I get a floor speaker. Those are if I get floors for example 2 rp 280 speakers the right is blocked which is why I’m leaning towards in wall so I can raise them.

Subs I was looking at 2 svs sb2000 diagonally placed.

I appreciate the recommendations and any advice.

db1fd6c4160a07979cdd602190acc20e.jpgdc6c7a8010b6dea282692958da90f2e3.jpg512e6cefc3780c03021aa98305d75ef2.jpg4089ebe26cbf8cde20c19bffc488e128.jpgf86a7778e6a80df106704bbee752ccd7.jpg

I bet you are right. One option would to use a pair of the short speakers you can put on stands.  Like the Forte  http://www.klipsch.com/forte-iii or the Cornwall http://www.klipsch.com/products/cornwall-iii-floorstanding-speaker There are plenty of others too.  

You will find lots of information about those here.  In fact, my own plans have changed for the fronts.  I was going to use the RF-7 which is the normal way to go, but then I saw the CF-4 and I had to have it.  Thiis is an RF-83 not an RF-7, but it will give you some idea of proportion. The CF-4 is on the left.

Image result for klipsch rf-7 cf-4

I just think that as big as your room is, you are going to need some serious speaker.

Since we're spending your money here - The THX Ultra2 in walls may be in order here.  If you're serious about good theater sound...

For the front L/R:

https://designeraudiovideo.com/product/klipsch-pro-7800-l-thx-ultra2/

Center:

Same as above for the center, or a horizontal https://designeraudiovideo.com/product/klipsch-pro-6504-l-thx-ultra2/

Surrounds:

in wall or ceilings?

In wall - https://designeraudiovideo.com/product/klipsch-pro-7800-s-thx-thx-ultra2-in-wall-speaker-each/

Ceiling - https://designeraudiovideo.com/product/klipsch-pro-7502-s/

As an alternate brand, I've seen (online) some very serious home theater builds using Triad speakers.  They have some in wall options.  As a point of reference http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/1498937-beast-unleashed.html

@mangomike I would second his suggestion to look at other top brands for in-wall and on-wall applications.  Bear in mind that I am new to all this, but mu sense is that in-wall products are outside the sweet spot for Klipsch, so I am not sure just how much of the Klipsch experience you will get.  The Triad speakers that he mentioned look unreal.  You can see them here

https://www.triadspeakers.com/product-tag/lcr/

10 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

@bkevind I have been trying to give him what help I can.  Do you think those speakers would actually fill his room with sound?  I have no idea. And do you have any thoughts on in-wall versus on-wall?

To achieve a THX Ultra2 speaker certification, the speaker must be able to achieve a high SPL within a maximum THD (distortion) level.  In other words, the Klipsch THX Ultra2 certified speaker line, properly amplified, will get loud, very loud and very clean. I believe there is a minimum room size as part of that certification as well. 

As a part of building a system like this, you'll need very good amps, and very good subwoofer(s).  For subs I have a soft spot for SVS, and would recommend the PB-16 Ultra x 2 to go with with the Klipsch THX Ultra2 speakers.  

"THX Ultra2 is a 7.1-speaker extension of the original Ultra spec. Ultra2 is designed to work well with multi-channel music and movie presentations playing up to reference levels in rooms of 3,000 cubic feet or larger. Each certification requires components to produce high volume levels, to play at a low level of distortion, and to disperse sound in specific ways, as well as to have extremely low noise and behave in a stable and predictable way."

Thanks JJPTKD

Looks good but I’m in Toronto, Canada.

Has anyone heard the ultra2 system. I’m leaning towards

Pro 6504L - centre
7800 - 2 fronts
7800s - 2 surround
4 6.5” ceiling will get lowest cost ones as they are just for height effects.

Question about AV. I was going to get a Yamaha RX-A3070. Do I need another amp?

2 minutes ago, mangomike said:

Question about AV. I was going to get a Yamaha RX-A3070. Do I need another amp?

@mangomike I just got a pretty thorough education in this very question.  You can find it at 

Long story short, you probably do not want the A3070 at all, but for the cost of one you should be able to get what you really need and want.  A lot of it comes down to the power.  Receiver companies misrepresent their actual power, and I am guessing that the 3070 would leave you underpowered and stressed.  You are after a 5.2.4 system, which means 9 speakers and 2 subs.  Yamaha claims lots and lots of power

• 9-channel powerful surround sound
  • --- 150 W per channel (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.06% THD, 2-ch driven)
  • --- 230 W per channel (4 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.9% THD, 1-ch driven)
  • --- 230 W per channel (8 ohms, 1 kHz, 10% THD, 1-ch driven)

So let's see 150 watts times nine channels is 1350 watts.  Now let's check out the manual.and at page 197, it tells us that its power consumption is 490 watts.  It cannot produce more watts that it consumes, so with 9 channels that is 55 or so.  Based on everything that I have learned, no receiver is going to produce the amount of power you need to really get the benefit of your speakers.  They need good clean power and lots of it, but receivers just don't have great amps because they don't have to.  So look at that post and the comments, and then ask any questions.  

• Like 1