Heresy w/SUB

mdbrien

Depending on your room size these are great for small to medium sized rooms. Not sure if you have considered diy subs. This is not my build thread but I built 2 of these for my Heresy's and after 2 years I still do not feel the need to upgrade.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rockhound said:

Depending on your room size these are great for small to medium sized rooms. Not sure if you have considered diy subs. This is not my build thread but I built 2 of these for my Heresy's and after 2 years I still do not feel the need to upgrade.

I’ve built five of these.  Four of them augment the bass for my DIY Super Heresys in my small space.  The first four were easily built DIY Sound Group flat packs.  Unfortunately, flat packs are no longer available.

I have Hersey's and Belles and my 12 in 400 watt Klipsch sub fills my 20 by 30 foot room like I have champagne in one hand...What a ride!

No seriously...WHOO HOO!

Just put on my recording of Dylan and Simon from 9th row center 6-12 99...Sounds exactly the same as when I was there...   

• Like 1

If you're going to primarily use the setup for music, I'd suggest you get a sealed subwoofer so it has that nice tight, bass response that the Heresy does.

I've been tempted by the SB-1000 and SB-2000 from SVS for just this reason. The tight bass response of an acoustic suspension design is not imaginary but a real result of sealed cabinet designs, and finding sealed subs is somewhat difficult. I think SVS does it right.

But I'm cheap, and didn't want to pay for the power consumption of a powered sub in standby mode (and I'm too lazy to turn it off). So as a cheap alternative, I tried and absolutely love my Klipsch kg sw subwoofer (@$150 on the used market). It's a passive sub, so there's no amp involved. It's merely a pair of 8" dual voice coil woofers in a bandpass enclosure, with a 150Hz high pass output to the speakers. Yeah; it's not a sealed design :( but it doesn't require an amp, and it's output level perfectly matches my Heresy II"s 94dB/W/m. They're hard to find; I found my first one on eBay and I'm keeping my eyes peeled there and on Craigslist for a second one for another pair of speakers-I love it that much.

But the kg sw only goes down to 38Hz. If you're looking for a sub that does duty with movies (read: plays below 30Hz), then a powered sub would probably be a better choice.

Let us know what you finally choose to boom with.

3 hours ago, Peter P. said:

If you're going to primarily use the setup for music, I'd suggest you get a sealed subwoofer so it has that nice tight, bass response that the Heresy does.

I've been tempted by the SB-1000 and SB-2000 from SVS for just this reason. The tight bass response of an acoustic suspension design is not imaginary but a real result of sealed cabinet designs, and finding sealed subs is somewhat difficult. I think SVS does it right.

My dual SB-2000s impress me more and more every day.  Between amazing output at the 20Hz range and detailed, musical bass they really complete the package.

On 1/15/2018 at 2:18 PM, mdbrien said:

Hi

I'm looking for recommendations on a great SUB for my Heresys in a two channel setup.

Thanks

A great sub will be more than one.  Klipsch subs are known for very low distortion.  Two R-112Sws or R-115SWs will be a good start.   

I am using a REL R305 which is older but sounds great with the Heresy III .  A little tricky to get it dialed in because the Klipsch are more sensitive than my last speakers .  Sounds great though.   You might even want to look at subs with an EQ , I am getting excellent results with the REL and a Velodyne SMS 1 ....

So many good options out there these days and good advice given already.

I'm a fan of SVS, and too lazy to DIY.  SVS, HSU, Rythmik, PSA, REL, etc all have great options that would do a great job for your use case.  I've got a SB-1000, and a SB-13 Ultra.  I love a sealed sub for music, even for movies I'm happy with the Sb-13, but might add a second one.  

• 1 month later...

New guy here.  I have Heresy IIs up on 12 inch stands because my wife likes how they look on stands and she let me put these in the dining room so I can't complain :).  The room is approximately 15 x 20 with vaulted ceiling. 

I'm running 1 M&K VX-7 8 inch sealed sub connected directly to the main left/ right speaker outputs on my amp using two extra sets of open banana plugs. Since the woofer is powered this does not increase the load on the amp and it sounds a lot better than using the sub out. Adjust (and readjust) volume and crossover until it fits your room dynamics.  I like a slight frequency overlap into 60-65hz territory but very low sub volume so that you only really notice it when you DONT hear it, like if it gets turned off during a song.

I think it's a good affordable match if you can find one on Craigslist etc. I actually have two of these subs and running them in stereo with the Heresys sounded wonderful, but I can only hide one sub in the dining room, so I had to settle for slightly less.  

Good luck!  My Heresys (with crites ti tweets and crossovers) are very pleasant to listen to with or without sub(s).

Mike

Edited by Mike N

20 minutes ago, ThomasD. said:
On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 12:49 PM, Khornukopia said:

Interesting.  Any resonance issues with stacking?  Also, what's the veneer finish on those H's?  looks unique.

Musically, the frequency response blends seamlessly. If your question is about the cabinet sitting on top, The cabinets are solidly built and have enough mass. It is recommended to place a layer of non-slip material between them, such as a thin layer of foam, but not the common kitchen drawer liner that will stick to the speaker's finish.  The veneer is Lacewood. 

The chances of the best position for the sub being directly beneath the speaker is close to none!  But hey... if it's working I won't argue.  It can be very difficult to get them integrated and if you are lucky enough that it looks good too that is a bonus!  That is a really pretty speaker!!  

Where did you find your material to put under?