Does material of speaker case/housing matter?

vasubandu

13 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Real wood is not desirable in speaker enclosures.  They expand and contract with humidity.  They vibrate like a bell producing distortion, and over time hard wood will crack.

MDF is THE building material of choice, no kidding.  They have a desirable sound deadening characteristic in that they don't have their own resonant frequency like a hard wood has.  Be aware there is a cheap MDF and a good one.  The better speakers all use MDF, heavily braced and then veneered.

FYI:

Khorn: 175 pounds

La Scala: 125 pounds

CF-4: 108 pounds

RF-7:  94 pounds

RF-83:  100 pounds

It's interesting that the RF7ll lost 7 lbs over the RF7, then the RF7lll gained 10 lbs over the RF7ll.

18 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

It's interesting that the RF7ll lost 7 lbs over the RF7, then the RF7lll gained 10 lbs over the RF7ll.

I don't know the size of the III, but @Youthman is the only person I've ever seen who owned at the same time, RF-7, RF-7 II and RF-83, and documented it via his usual fine photography.

gallery_25073_7_119478.jpg

No, @mustang guy bubinga is a tropical wood.  Sometimes it has waves like that.  The wood has a depth that you would not believe.  It looks three dimensional.  That is a $6,000 slabe of wood though.  But there are tons of amazing woods out there.  They typically are 2 to 3 inches thick but can be more.  Three or four feet wide and 8 to 16 feet long.  They make wonderful desks and tables.

you also can get them small for a bookshelf speaker.  Dang, check this one out.  Tempting.

Picture 1 of 1

https://www.ebay.com/i/232580016746?chn=ps

If you are actually curious, just search google for "wood slabs" and go to images.

43 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

No, @mustang guy bubinga is a tropical wood.  Sometimes it has waves like that.  The wood has a depth that you would not believe.  It looks three dimensional.  That is a $6,000 slabe of wood though.  But there are tons of amazing woods out there.  They typically are 2 to 3 inches thick but can be more.  Three or four feet wide and 8 to 16 feet long.  They make wonderful desks and tables.

you also can get them small for a bookshelf speaker.  Dang, check this one out.  Tempting.

Picture 1 of 1

https://www.ebay.com/i/232580016746?chn=ps

If you are actually curious, just search google for "wood slabs" and go to images.

That is a bit thicker than veneer. Beautiful depth! We have a woodcraft where I live. They usually have a great selection of exotic wood in the back room. WARNING: They ain't cheap by any means!

1 hour ago, mustang guy said:

WARNING: They ain't cheap by any means!

Uh, couldn't that be said about anything here?

I am lucky because there are 2 slab dealers within 30 miles that each have a few hundred raw slabs at any given time.  I still could not finish one to save my life.  They have been dried, usually in a kiln, and to finish them you plane to a good surface, but if you plane one side too far, it will curl up like a ribbon.  A three inch thick piece of wood all curled up is quite a sight.  So you have to do both sides a bit at a time, and that is a skill I lack.

2 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I don't know the size of the III, but @Youthman is the only person I've ever seen who owned at the same time, RF-7, RF-7 II and RF-83, and documented it via his usual fine photography.

gallery_25073_7_119478.jpg

Yes, his pics are always wonderful. 

The RF7 series keeps growing, they need the displacement of the box. The llls are quite a bit bigger than the lls, only a half inch taller, but over 2 inches wider, and 1.5 inches deeper. The weigh 10 lbs more than the ll. I think they look much more refined.

9 hours ago, vasubandu said:

Uh, couldn't that be said about anything here?

I am lucky because there are 2 slab dealers within 30 miles that each have a few hundred raw slabs at any given time.  I still could not finish one to save my life.  They have been dried, usually in a kiln, and to finish them you plane to a good surface, but if you plane one side too far, it will curl up like a ribbon.  A three inch thick piece of wood all curled up is quite a sight.  So you have to do both sides a bit at a time, and that is a skill I lack.

I remember the planer in wood shop in highschool. You could send a very large piece through that monster. I think it weighed a ton. I remember putting a piece of very old and seasoned hickory through the thing. the teeth were not sharp enough to handle the extremely hard wood and the whole school shook when the board went through.

The purpose of a speaker cabinet is to support the drivers and in the case of woofers, contain the pressure wave off the rear of the cone to prevent it from cancelling the front wave at low frequencies, long wavelengths technically.  Also, the cabinet volume may be tuned with size and/or vents or passive radiators to resonate at particular frequencies to enhance the low bass output of the woofer.  This tuning requires an air-tight enclosure.  If a solid plank splits/cracks, it will no longer be air-tight. 

Weight in and if itself is irrelevant to speaker design/performance and should not be sought after.  However, to have a stiff enclosure, perhaps with bracing, that is relatively non-resonant, a certain weight is inevitable depending on the material used.  JBL makes some speaker cabinets for pro use that are plastic, with neodymium magnets that are surprisingly light.  Others are out there, too.  http://www.erseaudio.com/Products/SPXProSpeakerCabinets  

Though I am not much of a fan, MDF has been proven to be an excellent cabinet material, because of its low resonance.  It also does not split or warp, though most of it will soften and sag in wet or high humidity conditions.  Plywood is about 4 times as strong and stiff as MDF with similar density (weight).  The increased stiffness at the same weight means it tends to ring when struck, if the panel is large and unbraced, i.e. the top or sides of a La Scala I.  But high grade plywood will not soften, split or warp if sheltered from water. 

On 1/16/2018 at 9:39 PM, vasubandu said:

@Dave A OK I see the smiley face, but I assume there is some level of seriousness to what you said.  If not, you totally got me.  

As I recall, platinum is not much of a conductor - something like 4 or 5 times the resistance of gold, and gold has I think something less that twice the resistance of copper and silver.  Silver has the least resistance of any metal, but it is so close who cares except yuppies buying speaker wire.  All in all, this would seem to make platinum a poor choice, especially over a distance.  And temperature is important here, I just don't remember why.

Now your comment about puddled electrons made me laugh.  Yes, electrons have mass, about 1/2000 of a proton, but that does not mean that they puddle.  Electrons are both particle and wave, and making one stop in a puddle would have drastic consequences for the universe.  Now that one did send me to the internet,  specifically to ResearchGate, where I found this, which seemed fairly illuminating. https://www.researchgate.net/post/Can_we_stop_electrons_from_moving  Bottom line, I do not think that electrons pool, but I may be wrong.

Copper wire, nice thick copper wire.  

Serious humor only.  Speaker wire by the roll from Parts Express is fine as far as I am concerned. Finer strands mean you can bend it more times before breaking but other than that all this other stuff is fluff.