Does material of speaker case/housing matter?

vasubandu

In the for what it is worth category.I just sanded the top of a Forte II piece of MDF crap. I don't like the stuff at all. It looks like just enough water from a planter soaked in to swell underneath the veneer and make a quite noticeable hump right where it hurts the worst. All the edges had small splintering in places at the edges where the veneer picked away from the MDF and the famous screw stripping in both drones because MDF and screws are not friends. I am going to build something later this year and I have decided that 1" Baltic Birch which can be had for $56.00 per 5" x 5" sheet in Nashville is the way to go. Just refinished a pair of La Scalas and the raw Birch with Golden Oak stain and Spar Polyurethane looked really nice.

I bought a gallon of tintable Duratex a while back and tinted it to a medium brown and coated a pair of black painted KG-4's with it. That also looked pretty good and had a better WAF to the couple that bought them and that could be used on MDF. If I ever did anything MDF I would just coat it with Duratex.

For the purposes of better sound I would rather brace more and or use heavier plywood any day. I have heard of La Scalas rolling down stairs and surviving but some how I picture chunks only if it were MDF. One of the projects I am contemplating is a pair of La Scalas with 1" Baltic and an OTHorn to go with it. I figure that will be more than enough to satisfy me for a long time.

DSC_0008.JPG

DSC_0001.JPG