Elevated Klipsch Models.

jazzer

I have seen on the internet various Klipsch models in the homes of their owners that are raised up on a stand of some sort.I am referring to such floor standing models as the Heresy and the new Forte 3.Is it that the midrange  and tweeters of these particular speakers are below ear level?

yes,i am familiar with the risers but what i have seen on the internet are heresys on stands meant for regular bookshelf speakers as well as heresys placed atop of a set of chest of drawers.also,go to you tube and check out the channel of z review as he calls himself.on his channel he is reviewing a pair of forte 3's that he has placed on top of a pair of 15 inch end tables.[!]

Like this huh? I'm cheap and haven't found anything to use that better than an old five. Five gallon paint bucket that is, you'd be surprised at what old painters use empty buckets for. The other one is on top of two of them so it isn't as obstructed by the sofa it's behind in the other corner! It makes a big difference in the sound to the La-Z-Boys especially for movies.

Untitled.jpg

• Like 2

I built 6 inch risers for a pair of La Scalas so the midrange horn would be ear level. 

I have a pair of Chorus iis and will make risers.  The midrange horn is 29 1/2 inches and when I sit on my couch my ears are around 36 inches.  So a riser at least 4 inches to

5 1/2 inches should do it.

Some people like that.  I tend not to, but then, due to space limitations, my La Scalas are sitting on my subwoofers, 23" off the floor.  Heresies with slant risers are a good solution, partly because of the highly directional squawker horn. 

On 1/16/2018 at 8:42 PM, JohnJ said:

Like this huh? I'm cheap and haven't found anything to use that better than an old five. Five gallon paint bucket that is, you'd be surprised at what old painters use empty buckets for. The other one is on top of two of them so it isn't as obstructed by the sofa it's behind in the other corner! It makes a big difference in the sound to the La-Z-Boys especially for movies.

Untitled.jpg

hey johnj,

that you have your iconic heresys sitting atop buckets would have the hard cores over at stereophile demanding that you invest in 400.00 stands.your solution to stands is absolutely brilliant as is this picture!

• Haha 1

On 1/15/2018 at 6:45 PM, jazzer said:

I have seen on the internet various Klipsch models in the homes of their owners that are raised up on a stand of some sort.I am referring to such floor standing models as the Heresy and the new Forte 3.Is it that the midrange  and tweeters of these particular speakers are below ear level?

Raising the speakers up gets the speakers into more optimal position and does help improve the image/soundstage, but there is loss of boundary reinforcement/bass, so the speakers will benefit from eq if you raise them.  See my avatar for an example; those stands are available HERE (no affiliation aside from being a happy customer); I have to peel back the mids and highs quite a bit to restore the warm tonal balance I prefer.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jazzer said:

hey johnj,

that you have your iconic heresys sitting atop buckets would have the hard cores over at stereophile demanding that you invest in 400.00 stands.your solution to stands is absolutely brilliant as is this picture!

That's funny @jazzer They don't look too great, and I put a few big rocks in each so the H2s wouldn't make them walk around. Looking at craigslist and yard sales when I'm out early on Saturdays I'll find something more suitable eventually but for now it's no biggie, silver spoons aren't needed here either.

On 1/19/2018 at 7:09 PM, JohnJ said:

That's funny @jazzer They don't look too great, and I put a few big rocks in each so the H2s wouldn't make them walk around. Looking at craigslist and yard sales when I'm out early on Saturdays I'll find something more suitable eventually but for now it's no biggie, silver spoons aren't needed here either.

Used to use milk crates for my Frazier Mark Va's corner loaded with their rear facing port.  Seemed to allow the bass to flow with zero interruption or impact.  That would also work well with Heresy's or Forte's without riser.

• Like 1

Heresy risers were a separate purchase back when I bought mine. I lost some of the bass with the heresies being further out from the wall than I've ever kept them. Just can't change the arrangement of some of the stuff. TV shows and movies have been mastered for a long time now with chronic and acute volume changes of the dialogue.

WTF happened to the volume levelers that were in a lot of good tvs twenty years ago? That did detract from the ambiance of the scene sometimes.

Decrease the treble, decrease the midrange less and leaving the bass flat works well.

Now whoever sits on the sofa next to the sliding door...... they get an earful unless we adjust the balance!

Untitled.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Madman1 said:

Hey Ski Bum, 

I like those stands! But, that link is no good. What brand are they?

Thanks,

Hmm.  Works for me, but let's give it another go:

http://www.aandmcustomsteelspeakerstands.com/

And if that doesn't work, it's "A and M Custom Steel Speaker Stands"...I see their prices have gone up, but they're still in the 'bargain' category IMO.  Good product.

• Moderators

I'm cheap and haven't found anything to use that better than an old five.

Well you went all out and got the black model, much better than the white, good choice. :D

They also doubles as a cell phone amplifier for outside, throw your phone in it and it sounds louder. :o

I'm cheap

I completely understand that, don't blame you at all.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 1/19/2018 at 10:34 AM, jjptkd said:

On the larger speakers I've found just propping up the fronts by an inch or so can work out perfect or with smaller speakers old bar stools off craigslist or (even new) work too.

stool (640x640).jpg

I like that idea

3 hours ago, Marvel said:

I used some Rubbermaid step stools for my Heresy IIs and JBLs.

We've got one of those in the shed for when she works on the flowers.

They would not add a bit of resonance with the rubber feet under the legs either!