Update: New house done (enough) and moving in this weekend!

avguytx

7 minutes ago, avguytx said:

I showed my wife your comment with the picture. She thought that was hilarious...as I did too! 

I too took lots of pictures while building and there always seemed like there was something in the picture that didn't belong:)

Driveway and sidewalk probably won't be done till it's in the "dry" since there will still be some tractors rolling around digging the trenches for the leach field for septic plus the tanks. 

Yeah...it poured all day pretty much and nothing got done with roof. They work weekends, too, so they should have it finished Sunday which is good since they're calling for rain on Monday. It sucks seeing all the water inside right now especially after the frog floater we got. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It's been quite awhile since I updated this post and its come quite a ways now. Here's the front of house after we set six 8 x 8 x 9 foot posts today. 4 go on back porch but it was all we could do to get these up at 200lbs+ each and leveled. Haha. But looks hella better than the 2x4's that had been there temporarily. 

20181117_180606-1024x514.thumb.jpg.2537ccb6da22487d0eaad8ae53dbf94d.jpg

20181117_180621-1024x546.thumb.jpg.1154f5dcc6c66bb1be9ebbc546421602.jpg

• Like 4

On 11/17/2018 at 7:20 PM, avguytx said:

It's been quite awhile since I updated this post and its come quite a ways now. Here's the front of house after we set six 8 x 8 x 9 foot posts today. 4 go on back porch but it was all we could do to get these up at 200lbs+ each and leveled. Haha. But looks hella better than the 2x4's that had been there temporarily. 

20181117_180606-1024x514.thumb.jpg.2537ccb6da22487d0eaad8ae53dbf94d.jpg

20181117_180621-1024x546.thumb.jpg.1154f5dcc6c66bb1be9ebbc546421602.jpg

Will you be in for the Christmas holiday ?

looking nice !

• Like 1

• Moderators

Good looking house, love the big porch with the large post. It will be great to get moved in, alot of work but fun. Also like the vertical part on top instead of it matching the lower front, looks better to me.

Like the neighbors also, not being 10' away.

On 11/18/2018 at 9:05 AM, JohnJ said:

Looking good, I like the raised ridge roofing that you put over the porch. Looks like it wraps around for the back porch too?

You'll hear the raindrops a different way and darn, that's as permanent as slate and more durable.

It doesn't go all the way around with the metal part of the roof.  Porch goes maybe 6 feet and the metal roof maybe 20 feet.  Front porch is about 46 feet across and back is 44 feet, I think.  My wife has already said she'd be hanging out front in a rocking chair a lot.  lol

3 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

Will you be in for the Christmas holiday ?

looking nice !

I'm hoping we will be but honestly doubt.  Thanks!

3 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

How's the inside coming along? Looks nice.

Walls are painted, all cabinets are in, and most all lights and fixtures are in.  Getting ready to start the floor tiling for the rooms that get it and also start laying the LVP floors, too.  Still need granite counter tops done and we're going to try and get the front door stained, back french doors painted, and other two exterior doors painted so we can put the handles and locks on everything for appliances to be delivered in next couple of weeks.  We're hoping the electricity will be hooked up by this weekend.  Getting colder inside and hard to see to do anything...even with LED work lights.

43 minutes ago, dtel said:

Good looking house, love the big porch with the large post. It will be great to get moved in, alot of work but fun. Also like the vertical part on top instead of it matching the lower front, looks better to me.

Like the neighbors also, not being 10' away.

We have no neighbors beside us on either side and there's 43 acres behind me that will never be built on (most likely).  My closest neighbor is about 400 feet away on another street.  I can see them but they aren't "right there".  Nice people, though.  But it's definitely nice not having neighbors too close to us and if we do have a next door neighbor or across the street, they are more than 10 feet away since we're on 1+ acre lots.

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, avguytx said:

we're on 1+ acre lots.

That's much nicer, they need to get away from building them so close you could almost jump from roof to roof. 

Like the stone around the bottom also, it looks like with the right grade you will never have a water problem. Make sure they get the grade right to pull water away from the house before they go ahead with the driveway. 

Good looking house

Those porch beams reminded me of erecting a similar decorative 9' long bird feeder beam  by picking it up and setting it on a 5/8" metal rod embedded in the concrete footing. There was a 5/8" hole in the bottom of the beam which had to line up and after several loud yells it finally found the hole. It was held in place to the massive deck. During the pickup I said a lot of words and those words stuck as the name of the pole. It was only a 6" x 8" wolmanized about 9 feet long. After about 40 years the bottom rotted out so I had to pick it up again and saw off about 2 feet then drill another hole and set it back down again. As I walked away I said to myself out loud, "How stupid can you get ---hole"

JJK

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, windashine said:

… totally very nice home !!!

Is the front entry stairway going to be a long wooden bridge to the porch ?

Thank you, sir.  We're proud of it so far.  They'll bring in the fill dirt and top soil where it won't be quite as high on the front porch for the steps coming off.  They'll be done out of brick, cinder blocks, and concrete.  But yeah, it's a pretty good haul as it sits right now.  

• Like 1