Update: New house done (enough) and moving in this weekend!

avguytx

Built a house in Southern Maryland years ago.....was at the site every day at lunch time since I worked only about 5 miles away.  I knew that one day they were pouring the foundation so went out there and walked the entire perimeter of the foundation after it was poured.  I then went to the construction office (since they were on site) and asked the manager, "So, where is the area of the foundation where the wine cellar is supposed to be?".....He said to me, "Well, you are the third house on the left aren't you?" (these were 2 acre lots), and I said "No, I'm the second house on the right"......You can imagine what transpired after that exchange......

3 hours ago, richieb said:

^^^^

- I assume you made quick friends with the "third house on the left" --

Well, actually no.  They had 5 kids and used the space to store their toys....I did extract a bunch of other free work from them, especially considering that the day after closing and they were still doing some work, and one of the workers thought he could get away with stealing my brand new chain saw.....oh man, to say we had a contentious relationship after that is putting it mildly.....

I do enjoy building homes, even though it can be very stressful.

16 hours ago, garyrc said:

Did you tell us how high the ceiling in the sound room will be at its lowest and highest point?  Volume in cu.ft.?

It's one of those typical upstairs areas that, after you come up the stairs, you have a closet on the left and a bathroom on the right.  There's some open area before you get to the section I'm setting up my gear in that's 14'-6" width by about 19' in length.  (see picture)  The top of the ceiling is 8' and slopes down on the sides to 5'.   I figure I'll add a sub at some point like a Cinema F20 or something a tad smaller; I'm not looking to shake the walls apart but definitely have some more low end than what the Belle's do.  Doubtful that I'll ever do surround again as I really don't care about watching movies that much.  

I guess I could put the speakers where they are in the corners to the left and right of the smaller window but wasn't really keen on having equipment there plus putting a TV in front of it.

Upstairs area.PNG

On 8/11/2018 at 7:39 AM, MookieStl said:

Good to see you put on a good front porch. If I ever build a home from scratch, I will design the porch first and build the house around it! (behind it)!

Listening room may be second.

Yeah, it'll be nice having the porches versus how we've had next to nothing for a porch before.  Now we'll have a 44'-10" x 6'-8" porch in the front and a 44' x 8 ' porch in the back....both covered.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Coytee said:

I don't know if I applaud you guys....or feel for you.

My wife designed our house...so, ostensibly, it is what she wants.  (cough)

Duuuuudddeee.....that's crazy.  I've pretty much laid it out that we won't be doing any adding or changing for a long, long time.  This will be a new house to pay for not to mention a daughter going to college at the U of A.  Her budget for decorating or any other crazy stuff is on hold for a long time/.  Thankfully, she's very good about not going all out and is great with bargain buying for decor.

Pics of the upstairs area at the moment. 

I'm not looking for audio "perfection"; I can't have that with my tinnitus...I always hear extra "stuff".  I'm just excited to have my own area for when I do want to go listen to music via records, CD's, videos, hard drive, Spotify, etc., I have a place.

20180810_172331-800x450.jpg

20180810_172347-800x450.jpg

20180810_172402-800x450.jpg

• Thanks 1

Haha.  Yeah, kind of funny seeing that lone shovel in that picture.  I should've taken one yesterday after we had swept the upstairs (and downstairs) which was cleaner looking.  

On another note...I do look forward to having my audio stuff on one dedicated circuit breaker for that area.  

8 hours ago, avguytx said:

Pics of the upstairs area at the moment. 

I'm not looking for audio "perfection"; I can't have that with my tinnitus...I always hear extra "stuff".  I'm just excited to have my own area for when I do want to go listen to music via records, CD's, videos, hard drive, Spotify, etc., I have a place.

20180810_172331-800x450.jpg

20180810_172347-800x450.jpg

20180810_172402-800x450.jpg

Looks good.  You don't want the angled parts of the ceiling reflecting midrange and treble back at you too soon.  Other people with a ceiling shape like yours have put absorbers on half of the ceiling area on each side, hopefully with absorbers spaced so that the first reflection points are covered.  You know about the mirror test, right?  To get even more elaborate, some people put diffussers in between absorbers on the ceiling, so that any reflection you get is diffuse rather than specular.   The highest part of your ceiling looks like it may be high enough to cause no problems.  How high is it?  Some people would cover that highest part that is parallel with the floor with diffusers -- I've seen studios and control rooms like that.  Diffusers are ridiculously expensive, so you would probably want to make your own.

Speaking of expensive, you might want to check your city main library, or university library for this book:  https://www.amazon.com/Acoustic-Absorbers-Diffusers-Theory-Application/dp/0415471745

These look good, and are quasi-spherical, but may not do as good a job as some deeper ones: image.png.81d7ada8160a71d7b004c0d8311022ab.png

Take a look.  Your contractor might want to look at these -- might learn something -- mine did, but my wife ended up making ours.  Probably a good idea to get a mathematical model.  Free Plans:

http://arqen.com/sound-diffusers/ 

and:

image.png.14b230fed8002d9dd4ac124eb10ec800.png

And:

https://www.google.com/search?q=pictures+of+acoustical+diffusers&client=firefox-b-1&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiBtv_o-urcAhWPJHwKHdLIBJAQ7Al6BAgDEBs&biw=1025&bih=491

Oh, I didn't see the post in which you reveal that maximum height is 8' -- I would definitely put some diffusion on the highest part of the ceiling, as well.  For some reason, it looked like 10 or 12 feet!

5 channel music on SACD ranges from great down to barely there, but I would consider surround now or in the future.  You could hide surrounds behind the cripple wall?? Or elsewhere.  If you do that, don't tell anyone, and your Belle clones will sound especially spacious.

The glory and fascination of music well reproduced will charm you, tinnitus or not, IMO, especially with something fully horn loaded, like a Belle.  Have you tried Lipoflavonoid?   It is over the counter.  Strong experimental evidence isn't in yet, but good research is expensive, and I don't think anyone has been motivated to do a good multivariate double blind study, over sufficient time, yet.  There is reason to believe it might work (due to ingredients). 

Yeah, that's definitely something I might look into in the future. The first year in the house, there's going to be plenty of other things I'll be busy with before I can go too in depth up there. I'll mainly be tickled to get to shut a door and listen away. Lol. I know it's not a perfect audio room...but it'll work for me. I may build a sub of some sort before the room treatments...unless it works as it sits then I'll wait awhile. Who knows at this point. 

I asked a local audiologist about taking that stuff but he didnt seem to be too sold on it. Mainly said it was my money if I wanted to try it for awhile but it would take 6 months or so "if" there was any lessening effect to speak of. 

Are you planning to put the audio and video wires within the stud's, before they sheetrock ???

(edit) - if not - try to get some 1" conduit to some double gang boxes in there, in case you decide to pull some wires later.... just a thought

Edited by windashine

21 hours ago, windashine said:

Are you planning to put the audio and video wires within the stud's, before they sheetrock ???

(edit) - if not - try to get some 1" conduit to some double gang boxes in there, in case you decide to pull some wires later.... just a thought

Yep...never hurts to be prepared. Wire is cheap enough.  I'm pulling a Cat5, RG6, and a power drop to each TV in the house and x2 of Cat5 and RG6 in my room plus a drop (or 2) in the garage. Also will have Cat5 drops in a couple other inside locations plus pre-wiring for the outside IP cameras and lights and also 3 locations for wireless access points. 

There's a lot of area behind the knee space upstairs so it would be fairly easy to go back and wire down each side. But, I'll probably pull four 14/2 speaker wires from one side to the other just in case I ever added a small surround. Doubtful I will but you never know....since I can still buy many brands for cost. :D It would be a separate system for that with a 7.1 receiver and all inwall speakers. No Atmos crud.