An Audiophile's dream come true (you don't want to miss this)

vasubandu

OK, not all dreams are necessary good dreams, and you probably would not want to miss the end of the world either. But bear with me.

I am in the process of becoming the proud owner of a 2007 vintage  Epic 80 500 Home Theater System.  This is what it looks like.

Epic80V500BlackGrilleOff51.jpg

You could get yours from Axiom for the online discount price of $4,788, but why would you when you could get it from me for dollars less?

But wait, as they say, there's more.  Unlike that fine acoustic art gloriously depicted above, my set has 4 not 2 of the renowned QS8 speakers, which retail for $758 per pair even though they plainly are worth more.  

But wait, there's more.  You will notice that the speakers pictured above are dressed for a funeral, but I suspect that your own life is one of carefree leisure as you absorb the angelic sounds of these acoustical specimens, or perhaps better said you sense a kind of emptiness that only the deep earthy bass and cleansing harmony of its arias could ever fill to the brim and more.

By now you no doubt are contemplating a day or two per week or perhaps moving to Kansas so that you could afford such magnificence, but as reasonable as such measures would be, they are unnecessary.  

You may, for example, have a basement to which you resign speakers that no longer make the annual top ten lists. Speakers that were the wonder of the world mere decades ago, but now look suspiciously like firewood when the weather turns cold.  And if you look hard enough, you may find a certain awkward and oversized speaker that goes only by its code name.  No Escala, Jubilee or even Cornwall, for this orphan, just letters and numbers.  The letters and numbers rf-7. And now your memory is nagging you.  You have heard that combination recently, so this must not be such an outcast after all.  And that is true, but the lowly RF-7 was replaced by the RF-7 ii, which cured some, but not all of its flaws. And then lo the RF-7 ii was consigned to the heap of speakers condemned to eternal silence for the mighty RF-7 iii.

Take not my word for it. No less an expert than our own @MetropolisLakeOutfitters said it plainly

"Original RF-7's had some kind of unnatural bump in the low treble that made them very fatiguing to listen to.  Tons of people were desperate enough to go for the resistor mod to try to tone it down.  

RF-7II's were an improvement on this but was still fairly bright and could still be pretty fatiguing with higher volumes over a long period of time.  The horn had this hot spot if pointed right at your head, midrange wasn't the most accurate, it was a cool speaker but still had some flaws.  

RF-7III cleaned up the midrange, imaging is way better, no hot spots, no harshness, fatigue is pretty much gone, it's just a significant upgrade.  Anything that could have annoyed somebody with the RF-7II's is now gone.  An all new compression driver was used and it's pretty magical.  "

Harsher and truer words were never spoken of a speaker.  So fatiguing that listeners were desperate enough to go for the resister mod. Truly the end of times.

Now as luck would have it, I need a pair of those version one RF-7 so that I can conduct unspeakable experiments and turn it into a full range speaker. So if you have such a pair in red and wish to partake of auditory bliss, find me.

Shorter version:  I got these in a deal and I am not sure what to do with them.  Their fans love them to pieces, but I have no idea.  I will get them on Saturday.  The owner told me they are perfect, and based on everything else he said, I believe him.  I am in Seattle, but will ship.  I have the RC-7 and RS-7 surrounds and really need a pair of RF-7.

Thanks.

I got the Axioms in a deal.  The deal was an Outlaw 7700, Outlaw 990 and the Axioms for $750.  The Outlaw 7700 seems to be worth more than $750, and now I can sell the 990 and the Axioms.  I doubted/ that this was the place to sell the Axioms, but you never know.  I know nothing about them. And I figured that if anyone here did want them, I would throw them out there and find out. They sell for $5,500 new, and I found some similar sales over $2,000, which made me think that if I got crazy lucky and someone both wanted them and had a pair of RF-7 i, then a straight up trade would get me my RF-7 and give someone a really good deal.  

The whole goofy part was because in offering Axioms here I felt a bit like the guys with the white vans offering these really awesome speakers.  So I was trying to make fun of myself for offering Axiom speakers here.

• Like 1

I got the Axioms in a deal.  The deal was an Outlaw 7700, Outlaw 990 and the Axioms for $750.  The Outlaw 7700 seems to be worth more than $750, and now I can sell the 990 and the Axioms.  I doubted/ that this was the place to sell the Axioms, but you never know.  I know nothing about them. And I figured that if anyone here did want them, I would throw them out there and find out. They sell for $5,500 new, and I found some similar sales over $2,000, which made me think that if I got crazy lucky and someone both wanted them and had a pair of RF-7 i, then a straight up trade would get me my RF-7 and give someone a really good deal.  

The whole goofy part was because in offering Axioms here I felt a bit like the guys with the white vans offering these really awesome speakers.  So I was trying to make fun of myself for offering Axiom speakers here.
I still really like my RF 7ii's. Mostly used for surround sound H/T listening. Threy are eq'd down slightly and paired with 2, SW 12/300's. I think they sound quite nice and I got them dirt cheap.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, Joe01880 said:

I still really like my RF 7ii's. ... I think they sound quite nice and I got them dirt cheap.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Ummm, any more dirt cheap RF 7ii's out there?  Needing a good home in Sunny Florida?  Will even take them to Disney World if necessary. 

49 minutes ago, Joe01880 said:
5 hours ago, vasubandu said:

HiFiShark.com or USAudiomart.com may be a good place to list them. AVSForum as well, but they reguire a $25 membership to list or buy.

I spent almost 30 years in that industry before the "riding the ship till it sank" rep firm I worked for closed its doors summer 2009. I just lost interest in it all after that. Except 2 channel of course. 

Yeah, forum name is a little ironic now and I guess I should change it so it's more up to date. Ha. But, "netadminguyar" is a little long. ;) Thanks for the compliment on the speakers. They were a labor of love for sure. 

@wstrickland1 since I got them for free, yeah it seems like a good deal, but what do I do with them now? I have a feeling that my password here would quit working if I starting waxing poetic about the beautiful sounds of my M80s.  I thought that maybe someone here might like them and want them for a kid's room or something.  They actually get pretty good reviews, but they are not covered by the audiophile crowd.  I could put them up on Audiogon.

11 hours ago, vasubandu said:

@wstrickland1 since I got them for free, yeah it seems like a good deal, but what do I do with them now? I have a feeling that my password here would quit working if I starting waxing poetic about the beautiful sounds of my M80s.  I thought that maybe someone here might like them and want them for a kid's room or something.  They actually get pretty good reviews, but they are not covered by the audiophile crowd.  I could put them up on Audiogon.

Good reason they aren't covered by the audiophile crowd but it appears you came to the right place to look for RF-7s.  Problem is you'd probably have to trade them plus a grand to get RFs.  Good luck.