An Audiophile's dream come true (you don't want to miss this)

vasubandu

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 12:12 AM, vasubandu said:

OK, not all dreams are necessary good dreams, and you probably would not want to miss the end of the world either. But bear with me.

I am in the process of becoming the proud owner of a 2007 vintage  Epic 80 500 Home Theater System.  This is what it looks like.

Epic80V500BlackGrilleOff51.jpg

You could get yours from Axiom for the online discount price of $4,788, but why would you when you could get it from me for dollars less?

But wait, as they say, there's more.  Unlike that fine acoustic art gloriously depicted above, my set has 4 not 2 of the renowned QS8 speakers, which retail for $758 per pair even though they plainly are worth more.  

But wait, there's more.  You will notice that the speakers pictured above are dressed for a funeral, but I suspect that your own life is one of carefree leisure as you absorb the angelic sounds of these acoustical specimens, or perhaps better said you sense a kind of emptiness that only the deep earthy bass and cleansing harmony of its arias could ever fill to the brim and more.

By now you no doubt are contemplating a day or two per week or perhaps moving to Kansas so that you could afford such magnificence, but as reasonable as such measures would be, they are unnecessary.  

You may, for example, have a basement to which you resign speakers that no longer make the annual top ten lists. Speakers that were the wonder of the world mere decades ago, but now look suspiciously like firewood when the weather turns cold.  And if you look hard enough, you may find a certain awkward and oversized speaker that goes only by its code name.  No Escala, Jubilee or even Cornwall, for this orphan, just letters and numbers.  The letters and numbers rf-7. And now your memory is nagging you.  You have heard that combination recently, so this must not be such an outcast after all.  And that is true, but the lowly RF-7 was replaced by the RF-7 ii, which cured some, but not all of its flaws. And then lo the RF-7 ii was consigned to the heap of speakers condemned to eternal silence for the mighty RF-7 iii.

Take not my word for it. No less an expert than our own @MetropolisLakeOutfitters said it plainly

Harsher and truer words were never spoken of a speaker.  So fatiguing that listeners were desperate enough to go for the resister mod. Truly the end of times.

Now as luck would have it, I need a pair of those version one RF-7 so that I can conduct unspeakable experiments and turn it into a full range speaker. So if you have such a pair in red and wish to partake of auditory bliss, find me.

Shorter version:  I got these in a deal and I am not sure what to do with them.  Their fans love them to pieces, but I have no idea.  I will get them on Saturday.  The owner told me they are perfect, and based on everything else he said, I believe him.  I am in Seattle, but will ship.  I have the RC-7 and RS-7 surrounds and really need a pair of RF-7.

Thanks.

Can someone please interpret for me? I have no idea if this is a for sale or WTB ad. Exactly where is this going, other than he is mainly joking around?

Mark

Yeah , it got very confusing.  I bought a deal off craiglist.  It had an Outlaw 7700 amplifier, and Outlaw 990 whatever that is, and "some speakers."  The "some speakers" turned out to be a complete 7.2 set from Axiom Speakers.  Vintage 2007.  Now I need to sell the 990 and the Axiom speakers.  I felt very silly about posting them here.  I actually do not know anything about them, but some reviews seem very good.  They are not reviewed by the high end people.  But I figured I would see if anyone here wanted them.  2 M80 towers, VP150 center, 4 QS8 surrounds and an EP500 subwoofer.  To buy that today would cost over $5,500 (7.1 set plus 2 surrounds).

At the time, I was looking for an RF-7, and if anyone had one, maybe we could trade.  

I know that Axiom has been around for a long time and is a respected company. I do not know if their speakers are actually that good.  If anyone here actually is interested, I think I could offer a really good deal.

And did find a sound and vision review of the tower one below mine https://www.soundandvision.com/content/test-report-axiom-audio-m60-v3-tower-speakers-page-2

I assume you have a preamp/processor for your new system? The Outlaw 7700 is a 7 channel amplifier. You will need some kind of front end with it if you aren't going to use the 990.

Not to be too critical, but all of your posts ramble and don't get to the point. Your mixture of fantasies, what you really want to do mixed in with a lack of understanding how some things work undermines your credibility.

Bruce

• Like 1

Thanks @Marvel I get your point.  Sometimes I ramble when I am trying to be funny, and other times I just ramble.  I am getting a Marantz SR6011 for the front end and will just sell the 990.  I am new to this, and I am prone to take ideas to the logical extremes, so I also have a tendency to ask unusual questions, but they have the purpose of building a foundation of knowledge.  I have learned a lot here thanks to the help of many very generous people, but I am a long ways away from having much credibility in terms of actually knowing what I am talking about beyond what others here have taught me.  This is just the way that I learn.

• 2 weeks later...

@vasubandu Man, I'd definitely be interested in that set of Axiom's, but I'm in FL and wouldn't want to pay to send all that weight across the country.  I'm actually going to be in Seattle next weekend, but I can't exaclty check those on the flight home either, haha.  I'm planning to move to Seattle in the next year, maybe if you still have them by then I'll look you up again.  Good luck in the meantime.  

-Shawn