The Absolute Worse Use of Records in a Commercial

thebes

Has anybody noticed just how often turntables and records show up in commercials since the vinyl revival. 

If you haven't there have quite a few.  The silliest and most egregious misuse of records as props has to be this drug commercial:

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wjRh/xeljanz-xr-vinyl-collection

Anybody want to take a run at just how many things are wrong vinyl and playback-wise with this commercial?

I count at least five.

Have fun!

Looks like it's a 78 needle which probably explains why the they dropped the needle on the run out groove.

Also, did you notice her picking out an album and gushing over it a bit, like it's a long lost treasure from her  youth.  Do you also notice that its an EP, and I've never seen anybody wax nostalgic over an EP.

Then they get home, and go into the storage room and she pulls out the portable record player from her puberty years.  Since the player is circa "Beatles I Want to Hold Your Hand" era, she is revealing her real age which is 70. Amazing what they can do with cosmetic surgery these days.

In the first scenes I see something like a steel 78 needle.  Uggg on vinyl.

The later scenes show a flip over pick up..

I'm curious about the record disk itself which seems to have the blank area on the outside, shown playing.  Could it be a transcription disk?  Did they track from the inside to out?

Thebes, I'm waiting for your analysis of the art of the sleeve and the record (there might be two).  The music is Orleans but is that the art?

Overall, a nice presentation.  Sort of grandma's music found at a flea market played on grandma's record player from the attic.  

WMcD

• Like 1

I think there are two albums aside from the first thing she's looking at which is an EP sleeve.  Music is probably soft pop from before she was born.

I think the guy whose looking at the album in their house has the record sleeve upside down. Hard to tell, but he strikes me as someone who can barely read.

Can't agree with your take on the commercial, though.  This is the parents introducing their child to the way they listened when they are kids and very badly done since they obviously have never played an lop in their life.

Thebes,

It seems like you don't have a sentimental bone in your body. [Edit:  Add a smile.  Thebes is a good guy.]

There are many anachronisms.  

The lady seems too young to have RA.  If the kid is eight years old,  She'd be late 20's or mid 30's depending when they got on the nest.

At the flea market she give hubby a sly glance as if to say, "Remember when we listened to this."   But the couple is far too young to have danced to an LP in their youth.  

From some glances the cover is either Days of Futures Past or In the Court of the Crimson King.  Saturated reds and blues.  The label art I don't know but maybe Hendrix?

The player in the later parts seems to me to be a reproduction.  

WMcD

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've thought about this a bit more. 

My thought is that the original script had a decidedly older Grandma and Grandpa.  

Then someone realized that old viewers see themselves as young and would only identify accordingly.

WMcD

• Like 1