What size sub

latts

I currently have the RP-280f speakers, and would like to add a Klipsch subwoofer to my system.  I mainly listen to 2 channel stereo, but would like to try out a movie with the system.  My question, how do I determine if I should go with a 12 inch or 15 inch sub.  Any help would be appreciated...

latts

19 hours ago, latts said:

how do I determine if I should go with a 12 inch or 15 inch sub.  

That's easy.  You just go with a 15 unless the budget doesn't allow or you are extremely short on space and just simply can't fit the 15.  :)  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

That's easy.  You just go with a 15 unless the budget doesn't allow or you are extremely short on space and just simply can't fit the 15.  :)  

Or an 18.  You can never buy too big of a sub.  Going big initially will keep you from upgrading too soon plus you can always calibrate it to level match any speakers you have, even if they're bookshelf's.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:
41 minutes ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Or an 18.  You can never buy too big of a sub.  Going big initially will keep you from upgrading too soon plus you can always calibrate it to level match any speakers you have, even if they're bookshelf's.

The OP asked about a 12" or a 15" sub, so 18" is the answer!  :lol:  I love this place!

In your defense Carl, 18 is the new 15 so spiritually your answer is still OK.  B)

If the OP wants a Klipsch sub, I'm with Cory (MetLakeOut) ^^^ for all the reasons he laid out.

• Like 3

Bigger, multiples, and of the best quality < - that's more important than just a sloppy boom noise maker.  

The R-115SW reviews pretty well, though apparently it has some exaggerated mid-bass, which can mean it's a bit boomy, but that's probably  part of why it's such a punchy, visceral sub.  

I think I might actually like that in my open area but I'm pretty happy with my SB-13 Ultra for now.   I think that is what some folks that have become accustomed to a Klipsch sub, then try another, like SVS, which have a mostly flat response, they sound like they're missing something compared to a sub that is tuned to have a bit of a hump in the bump.  

• Like 1

On 1/17/2018 at 6:59 PM, bkevind said:

The R-115SW reviews pretty well, though apparently it has some exaggerated mid-bass, which can mean it's a bit boomy, but that's probably  part of why it's such a punchy, visceral sub.  

Several people have debated this.  Best guess I've seen is that there's coloration due to ringing while spanking it, due to the box being a little smaller than optimal.  I cannot confirm.  

• Like 1