Starting over after lightning strike!!! need advice

Koadog

So, about three months ago lightning hit our house and fried every audio and video device in our home (and the coffee pot).  DAMN!!   Insurance money was enough to replace the must have video items; no luck for the amps, receivers,  speakers, etc.   Budget is now very tight with kids. I bought an older set of RF-7's (in mint condition) and a older Sony receiver from a buddy who rarely used them for $200.  A great deal and they are mind blowing.   Bought an Onkyo TX-RZ810 yesterday.    Now for my question. Center and rear choices. I need to match the RF-7's with an center, probably an RC-64.  (1.) Will it matter which version I purchase?   (2.) Where can I get a good deal on a pre-owned RC-64?     My rear speakers must be in wall speakers due to the design of my house.   (3.)  Which Klipsch in wall speaker would match well with the above mentioned front and centers?

Separate question - why can i find the RC-64 special edition for less and other RD-64 speakers?

Thank you in advance for your advice!!

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums Kaodog!  Sorry to hear about the lightning strike. 

The matching center for the RF-7 is the RC-7.  Some have used the RC-64 or RC-64 II (they both sound the same) but the RC-7 has a brighter sound signature than the RC-64 and RC-64 II.  I've owned two RC-7's over the years and paid $150 and $200 for them.  They can definitely be found for under $400.  Locating used gear usually requires searching Ebay, Craigslist, Offer Up, Let Go and Facebook Marketplace. 

Just a warning....RC-7's don't tend to ship well due to having heavy magnets that are supported by plastic baskets.  If the speaker is dropped (which is very likely) the magnet can break loose from the plastic basket and wreak havok on the inside components.

43 minutes ago, Koadog said:

Separate question - why can i find the RC-64 special edition for less and other RD-64 speakers?

I'm not aware of a "Special Edition" RC-64, and Klipsch doesn't have an RC-64 speaker.  Can you clarify?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Youthman said:

I'm not aware of a "Special Edition" RC-64, and Klipsch doesn't have an RC-64 speaker.  Can you clarify?

Ummm....

http://www.klipsch.com/products/rc-64

http://www.klipsch.com/products/reference-center-speakers?model=rc-64-ii

http://www.klipsch.com/products/rc-64-iii-center-channel-speaker

1 hour ago, Koadog said:

(2.) Where can I get a good deal on a pre-owned RC-64?   

Welcome to the Klipsch forums KOA Dog.  :emotion-21:  :emotion-46:  :cool:

You are lucky to have a friend who would sell you RF-7's for $200.  Your buddy just saved you a thousand bucks.

@Youthman directly upstream ^^^ gave you great insight and advice.  He has owned just about every Klipsch higher-end speaker coming and going.

As far as where you can find a good deal on a pre-owned RC-64, you can't, deals are far and few in between.  That is the holy grail of Klipsch center speakers and they don't come onto the market all that often.  When they do they are snapped up quickly, usually for about $600-700, the II versions going for at least $700-900.  They are well known and highly sought after.  That keeps the supply low and the price high.

Youthman said to keep an eye out for the RC-7, I agree.  It's a great sounding center, pairs will with your RF-7's, is less expensive and easier to find than the RC-64.

Where do you live?  We have a lot of guys here who know where to look and are some are unbelievable at finding deals. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

You are lucky to have a friend who would sell you RF-7's for $200.  Your buddy just saved you a thousand bucks.

Wow!  I missed the purchase price.  SWEEEEET score bro!  You beat me as I paid $400 for mine with no receiver.  LOL.  That most definitely classifies as a Youthman Deal.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Koadog said:

I need to match the RF-7's with an center, probably an RC-64.

Hey, I have an RC-7 and it is my most favorite speaker ever in my entire life.  If weighs 45 pounds, but is just sits there so so what.  $400 seems to be the price today.  I would take @Youthman's suggestion about shipping, but I am still monitoring the national market because I have not turned it off.  And by the way, there are matching RS-7 monster surrounds.  About 22 pounds each and glorious.  These guys will keep up with that RF-7.  Of course, if you wanted to go in another direction, you could ship me the RF-7, and I would even double your money. :wub:

There is one for $500 Canadian in Saskatoon Canada http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649401947-klipsch-rc-7/

A guy in Matthews, NC has one, no price  http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649254145-klipsch-rf7/

Greenbay for $600 https://greenbay.craigslist.org/ele/d/klipsch-rc-7-center-speaker/6414227028.html

These seem to show up often, so over a month you should get one.The RC-7 has 2 8-inch woofers.  It fills the room with sound in a way that no puny center could.

30 minutes ago, Youthman said:

You beat me as I paid $400 for mine with no receiver.  LOL.  That most definitely classifies as a Youthman Deal.

@Koadog you are new here (I am too really) and I sure hope you hang around. You would have no reason to  know this, but you already have been given the the highest compliment known around here.  Many have been here for years if not decades hoping that one day they too might score a Youthman deal. One or two may have succeeded, but I have not heard of it.  You are a legend in the making.

• Like 1

Youthman has you covered.

I just want to give my condolences for the loss of your coffee pot.  That's not a good day for anyone.

The loss of your other electronics may prove to be a boon, as you've already scored a fantastic pair of speakers :)

• Like 1

On 1/16/2018 at 11:02 PM, Youthman said:

Welcome to the forums Kaodog!  Sorry to hear about the lightning strike. 

The matching center for the RF-7 is the RC-7.  Some have used the RC-64 or RC-64 II (they both sound the same) but the RC-7 has a brighter sound signature than the RC-64 and RC-64 II.  I've owned two RC-7's over the years and paid $150 and $200 for them.  They can definitely be found for under $400.  Locating used gear usually requires searching Ebay, Craigslist, Offer Up, Let Go and Facebook Marketplace. 

Just a warning....RC-7's don't tend to ship well due to having heavy magnets that are supported by plastic baskets.  If the speaker is dropped (which is very likely) the magnet can break loose from the plastic basket and wreak havok on the inside components.

Here is a link for a Special Editon RC-64   https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Special-Reference-Channel-Loudspeaker/dp/B00P8BFFA6

Also an RC-64  https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Center-Channel-Speaker-American/dp/B0776ZY5ZN/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1516276426&sr=1-6&keywords=klipsch+rc64

Maybe it's just the title in the add to attract attention?

On 1/17/2018 at 12:20 AM, vasubandu said:

Of course, if you wanted to go in another direction, you could ship me the RF-7, and I would even double your money. :wub:

I appreciate the offer, however, said RF-7's will remain mine for all time.    Wouldn't part from them for any price.

Any suggestions on an in wall speaker?

On 1/16/2018 at 11:47 PM, wvu80 said:

Welcome to the Klipsch forums KOA Dog.  :emotion-21:  :emotion-46:  :cool:

@Youthman directly upstream ^^^ gave you great insight and advice.  He has owned just about every Klipsch higher-end speaker coming and going.

As far as where you can find a good deal on a pre-owned RC-64, you can't, deals are far and few in between.  That is the holy grail of Klipsch center speakers and they don't come onto the market all that often.  When they do they are snapped up quickly, usually for about $600-700, the II versions going for at least $700-900.  They are well known and highly sought after.  That keeps the supply low and the price high.

Youthman said to keep an eye out for the RC-7, I agree.  It's a great sounding center, pairs will with your RF-7's, is less expensive and easier to find than the RC-64.

Where do you live?  We have a lot of guys here who know where to look and are some are unbelievable at finding deals. 

On 1/16/2018 at 11:51 PM, Youthman said:

Wow!  I missed the purchase price.  SWEEEEET score bro!  You beat me as I paid $400 for mine with no receiver.  LOL.  That most definitely classifies as a Youthman Deal.

I forgot to mention.  To sweeten the deal, he threw in an RSW-12 that matched the set!!     I know how insane of a deal I got.  I still smile every time I look at them :)

• Like 1

• Moderators

Now that’s what I’m talking about!  

That sounds similar to my story when ended up buying  RF-7ii, RC-64 II and RB-81 II for $900 and I asked if I gave her $1000, would she include the Onkyo TX-NR5008 ($2400 when New) receiver and she said “sure”.  😀

You my friend are living proof that there incredible deals to be had, you just have to be patient, continually looking, and have some cash in hand.  

6 hours ago, Koadog said:

I appreciate the offer

If you appreciate that offer, you are way too generous. 

For wall speakers, you might check out a recent post with a good discussion

If it were me, I would go for something bigger, as in huge, i.e., RS-7.  They are on the big side but what would you expect with an 8 inch woofer?

Excuse the mess, work in progress

1b.jpg

1a.jpg

• Moderators
On 1/16/2018 at 11:27 PM, bkevind said:

I just want to give my condolences for the loss of your coffee pot.  That's not a good day for anyone.

That's just terrible, but losing that and audio, I would require medicine, and a quick trip to replace the coffeepot.

• Haha 1