I scored a Youthman deal!

Mlaico

I recently hit the jackpot on craigslist and scored a complete system for just $299.  The insane part is when you hear what the main speakers are.

Mains: RF-7

Center: RC-3

Sub:  KSW-12

Surrounds: RS-3. 

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V2400

EVERYTHING TOGETHER for only $299!!!!!     And they're in good shape.  He just wanted them out of there. Or his wife did.

I already sold the sub and the receiver so I'm almost down to $0 for the RF-7s!!!!!!!!!!!   

Now, to see if I can upgrade the crossovers on the RF-7's.  I tried to call Dean using the number and email listed on his facebook page but the number didn't work so I shot him an email and message but haven't heard back yet.  Is he still doing crossovers?  Or are there details and instructions somewhere so I can buy the parts and do it myself?  Thanks!

Edited by Mlaico
  • Like 2

Nice, congrats on the great score!

32 minutes ago, Mlaico said:

Now, to see if I can upgrade the crossovers on the RF-7's.  I tried to call Dean using the number and email listed on his facebook page but the number didn't work and I also didn't get a reply to my email I sent him 5 days ago.  Is he still doing crossovers?  Or are there details and instructions somewhere so I can buy the parts and do it myself?  Thanks!

He recently had an ad up on Audiogon selling a set of custom crossovers, not sure if that was a one off or if he still works on stuff? 

• Moderators

INDEED YOU DID!  Congratulations sir!  The RF-7 alone would have been a sweet score for $300.

41 minutes ago, Mlaico said:

He just wanted them out of there. Or his wife did.

I love buying from people that are just looking to "get rid of stuff".

I already sold the sub and the receiver so I'm almost down to $0 for the RF-7s!!!!!!!!!!! 

That's exactly how you do it.  Buy a "lot", sell what you don't want and often get stuff for free or even make money on the deal.

I tried to call Dean using the number and email listed on his facebook page but the number didn't work and I also didn't get a reply to my email I sent him 5 days ago.  Is he still doing crossovers?

Yes, @Deang is still doing crossovers.  I'll reach out to him as well and point him to this thread.

• Like 2

Thanks Youthman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  You Rock.  

I also recently scored a beautiful pair of Forte II as well, so i'm actually looking for new crossovers for BOTH the Forte IIs and the RF-7s.  Please let Dean know. Thanks again!  

P.S. Love your videos.

50 minutes ago, Mlaico said:

I also recently scored a beautiful pair of Forte II as well, so i'm actually looking for new crossovers for BOTH the Forte IIs and the RF-7s.

I will beg the question; why do you need new crossovers for the RF-7?  Is there something about the sound you want to correct?

The Reference line does not need the crossovers capacitors updated like the older Heritage speakers.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I will beg the question; why do you need new crossovers for the RF-7? 

Many feel the original RF-7 are on the bright or harsh side.  The modified crossover "Tames the Highs" and smooths out the top end.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mlaico said:

@wvu80  Exactly what Youthman said.  

Instead of replacing the entire network, might I suggest a $1.38 (x2) solution instead?  This is the usual way people deal with that HF harshness.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dnr-10-10-ohm-10w-precision-audio-grade-resistor--004-10

Here are the instructions, compliments of Professor @CECAA850: