Spreadsheet to show db based on efficiency and amp capability

mustang guy

I threw together this spreadsheet to be able to quickly see how many dB I would get in a particular amp/speaker combo. I think I got it right, but I'm not overly confident. Here is the file link:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CGLhHTS8LWnumqUzu6BkIp4cv2Vqyjj-

It is a .xls file. I tried to do this in google sheets, but that limits people who are logged into google to be able to use the file. Let me know what you think. Did I screw anything up?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Deang said:

It’s right - but you get an extra 3dB for each speaker you add - but you lose 6dB every time you double the distance. 

Yes. The spreadsheet could indeed include the inverse square calculator. I think I will keep it simple by calculating based on a single speaker. It makes a lot of sense that I mention the +3dB with each speaker added.

OK, updated the sheet. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CGLhHTS8LWnumqUzu6BkIp4cv2Vqyjj-  

John. I have used many different calculators on the internet such as those you listed. Although they are great tools for those who know how to navigate them, there didn't seem to be a place where a person could just look at some speakers and a stereo and see how loud they could go. This spreadsheet can also exemplify the benefit of an efficient speaker to a person who may not have the most powerful amp. 

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, mustang guy said:

This spreadsheet can also exemplify the benefit of an efficient speaker

It's a small thing, but the term is "sensitive" or "sensativity." When comparing one speaker to another and the spl one will produce with a given power input you are referring to the sensitivity rating.

http://www.klipsch.com/education/speaker-sensitivity

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

"Efficiency"

"From a technical standpoint, “efficiency” is defined as the sound power output divided by the electrical power input—but that’s not how consumers use the word. So rather than try to turn laypeople into engineers, we’ll just concentrate on sensitivity.

The reason for quoting sensitivity rather than efficiency is that the true efficiency of a speaker varies wildly with frequency because of its impedance variation. The efficiency quote would be fairly meaningless, so loudspeaker engineers measure and refer to “sensitivity” instead."

• Thanks 1