Stereo System upgrade

Caio Ferrari

Hi there, 

I have a 2.1 system which is composed by: 

- Yamaha A-S501 integrated

- pair of RB51II

- A DIY 10" sub with a professional amplifier (using only one channel)

It bothers me a little having a "two head" system (Yamaha + Stereo amp half used for Sub) and I'd like to change it. 

What I'm thing about: 

- Change the sub for a Klipsch 110SW and put the professional amp away.

- Change the RB51II and look around for a used RB61II or a brand new 160M and stay without sub. 

I listed to music 80% of the time. Movies are not my deal, so, all my attention goes to music. What you guys recommend for me? 

If you built a good subwoofer, you should build another one and place them both near the middle of opposite walls in your room.  More woofer area allows less excursion for the same sound level and thus less distortion.  More bass sources smooth bass response throughout the room.  

Subwoofers are the easiest speaker systems to design and build.  Can you build another?  Or two 12" subs that dig down to at least 30 Hz, in room?

Did you expect that answer?  ;)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JohnA said:

If you built a good subwoofer, you should build another one and place them both near the middle of opposite walls in your room.  More woofer area allows less excursion for the same sound level and thus less distortion.  More bass sources smooth bass response throughout the room.  

Subwoofers are the easiest speaker systems to design and build.  Can you build another?  Or two 12" subs that dig down to at least 30 Hz, in room?

Did you expect that answer?  ;)

No, I really didn't :D

But, my point is having a external amp for my sub is really annoying me. Should I invest in a amp like Bash to keep it inside the sub? 

I have a pretty good sub here: Fs 26Hz; Qts 0,33; VAS 74L 

Is it possible it's a best option over Klipsch 110W driver? 

My room is really small. I don't think my problem is SPL though. Maybe it's time to think about making this sub ative... 

My 4 unpowered VMPS subs are all run by outboard power amps (Acurus A250s).  Nothing is wrong with that. 

Multiple subs are more about lower distortion and smooth response, though you will pick up an extra 6 dB peak for each doubling (1 -> 2 = +6, 2 -> 4 = +6 more dB). 

• Like 1

You have a Sub Out, correct? I would look at active sub, But, you know how you are annoyed running the second amp for your passive sub? You will likely be annoyed by having to adjust the volume of the active sub. Pick your poison? Good luck!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, baron167 said:

You have a Sub Out, correct? I would look at active sub, But, you know how you are annoyed running the second amp for your passive sub? You will likely be annoyed by having to adjust the volume of the active sub. Pick your poison? Good luck!

Yes, my current integrated amp has sub out. I don't dont need to adjust the sub volume :D

I'm in doubt if 110SW is better than my current DIY sub... 

38 minutes ago, pzannucci said:

just go get a plate amp and put it in the sub. 

My first thought as well.  A 300 watt plate amp would be more than enough for a ten inch sub.  Use a regular plate amp for ported, bass boost for sealed.  The Yung 300 watt amps are $109, that's a good price.

https://www.parts-express.com/Search.aspx?keyword=plate amplifier&sitesearch=true

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wvu80 said:

My first thought as well.  A 300 watt plate amp would be more than enough for a ten inch sub.  Use a regular plate amp for ported, bass boost for sealed.  The Yung 300 watt amps are $109, that's a good price.

https://www.parts-express.com/Search.aspx?keyword=plate amplifier&sitesearch=true

Once I live in Brazil, it's not easy for me buying something on parts-express. But I've found here a used Bash 500S. Maybe it's a nice choice for me. 

I think it'll be more powerful than 110SW

That 500 watt Bash plate amp sounds great.  And yes, it is too much for your 10" sub, but all you have to do is turn the gain down and I think you'll be fine. 

A bonus will be if you decide to upgrade to a 15" DIY sub, the Bash 500 is a perfect choice.

5 hours ago, wvu80 said:

That 500 watt Bash plate amp sounds great.  And yes, it is too much for your 10" sub, but all you have to do is turn the gain down and I think you'll be fine. 

A bonus will be if you decide to upgrade to a 15" DIY sub, the Bash 500 is a perfect choice.

Yes, I'll go for it. It's the cheapest and simplest way to get a decent sub right now.