What is the Least Expensive Amplifier?

nicesound

Nicesound, this Sherbourn 8100 receiver has just come available on Ebay. A great little Sherbourn surround receiver with a full 80 watts for seven channels. It gives you basically the best of everything. If you only use it for two channel it would be at least as good as the TA-100 but if you ever want to expand there are seven channels available to do so. The "buy it now" price is definitely fair but since nobody has bid yet you may be able to get it cheaper via bidding. Sherbourn was Emotiva's Pro Installer line of products. A little heavier duty components built to last.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sherbourn-SR8100-7-channel-receiver/183019575460?hash=item2a9cd118a4:g:Ng4AAOSw~3paXNcX

Here is a cool review and video about the 8100 too 

http://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/sherbourn-sr-8100-receiver

To me NAD and Emotiva are about on par with each other. I do know that the rated watts per channel that Emotiva posts specs for are actual bench tested watts. I would assume based on the NAD history they do the same.

Teaman,

I just looked at that eBay posting. Thanks.

I think I'm pretty close to buying the NAD C 328. I really want to get away from an AV receiver. I may get an AV pre-amplifier by a good brand some day, but until then I think an HDMI switch would work just fine.

This new Class D amplifier technology also sounds very nice and NAD apparently uses the best class D chip, though with some special implementation. Having a receiver that is super slim, needs no heat vents, so I can stack stuff on it if I want, is also nice. The simplicity of the device and the remote also seem to match my style and I like to reward companies for that as well as use their products.

The only thing that could make it more future proof would be a modular power supply so I can swap out an AC power supply for DC. I believe homes will start  running on DC within the next 10 years. Only current way around that is to get an amp that runs off of DC and has an AC adapter, but I didn't see any really good ones like that.

I don't know if any of the other members mentioned it, but you might consider a quality used piece of equipment from the 70's or 80's. Their sound is so much better than most of the under $1,000 stuff that's available new. A couple of ones that come to mind are Yamaha receiver 70's vintage best. Concept 4.5 or larger, I had a 5.5 it was amazing! Sansui also made some sweet sounding stuff, that will make your klipsch sing. The biggest problem with new stuff, is crappy pre-amp sections, and small power transformers. Oh yeah Nad from 80's and early nineties pretty clean stuff. Just my 2cents.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The Temple Audio Bantam Gold digital amplifier has received rave reviews from many high efficiency speaker fans.  I purchased one myself and this little amplifier runs my Klipsch horn speakers very well.  I am  currently researching the prospect of using a car battery as the power supply which I've been told will lift the Bantam Gold's sound quality to within 95% of tube amplifiers costing many times the price of the Bantam.  Even with the standard power supply, the sound quality is stunning and absolutely blows away the T-amp competitors. 

Here's a link to the manufacturer's website:  http://www.templeaudio.net/index.html

Here's a link to a TNT Audio review: http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/bantam_gold_e.html

I've attached some pics from Temple Audio's website.  John from Temple Audio is very helpful - although it might take some time for him to respond as I know they are flat out trying to keep up with orders:

goldfrontfull3.jpg

goldbackfull3.jpg

Some have criticized the Bantam Gold and other compact amplifiers because they lack more than one input.  I solved this issue by the purchase of a Rek-O-Kut Low Noise Stereo Phono/Aux Switch.  The Rek-O-Kut enables me to easily switch between my Rega turntable/phono preamp and my Play Station 3 which I use as a universal disc player.  The Rek-O-Kut is completely noise and hassle free.  Highly recommended:

LowNoiseSwitchFront375.jpg

LowNoiseSwitchBack375.jpg

I am a big Class D fan and power my LaScalas with a $20 Lepai 2020 A+ amp and it sounds great to me. Unfortunately they dont make the Tripath chips for them anymore so they are very hard to find. Here are 2 other options I think you will be happy with: 

Here is a Class D amp from Dayton Audio that costs about $80 that should work well for your needs.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dta-120-class-t-mini-amplifier-60-wpc--300-3800

This is a well regarded AB amp from Dayton audio as well that is a bit more at $140 but has pre-outs for a subwoofer:

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-apa150-150w-power-amplifier--300-812

You can buy world beater used surround amps that AB on all channels, auto eq for the room and speakers etc.

Pioneer Elite, or Totl Yamahs and others for $100.

I'm pretty sure one of the older yammies i have runs class A for the first watts, then goes AB, it's old school first attempt surround statement product, $4k when new if memory is correct. Can be had for near zero today.

Get a mint pre HDMI for almost nothing. Be sure to get the mic and manual if it has auto EQ like the pioneers.

On 1/18/2018 at 7:11 PM, nicesound said:

Teaman,

I just looked at that eBay posting. Thanks.

I think I'm pretty close to buying the NAD C 328. I really want to get away from an AV receiver. I may get an AV pre-amplifier by a good brand some day, but until then I think an HDMI switch would work just fine.

This new Class D amplifier technology also sounds very nice and NAD apparently uses the best class D chip, though with some special implementation. Having a receiver that is super slim, needs no heat vents, so I can stack stuff on it if I want, is also nice. The simplicity of the device and the remote also seem to match my style and I like to reward companies for that as well as use their products.

The only thing that could make it more future proof would be a modular power supply so I can swap out an AC power supply for DC. I believe homes will start  running on DC within the next 10 years. Only current way around that is to get an amp that runs off of DC and has an AC adapter, but I didn't see any really good ones like that.

I just demoed the NAD C328 with the KEF LS50, Klipsch RP-150M and JBL Studio 530. I really wanted like this piece because it had all the features I was looking for use in my bedroom 2channel system. However the sound quality was just not there. Bass is lacking and the midrange seems thin. I can see why they included a bass boost eq. It sounded best paired with the JBL’s but I don’t this amp delivers the full potential of any of these speakers. I also have a Cambridge CXA60 on hand for comparison which is in a different league to the NAD. The sound from the Cambridge is richer and more full bodied. 

Edited by DerKommisar

On 1/28/2018 at 1:40 PM, DerKommisar said:

I just demoed the NAD C328 with the KEF LS50, Klipsch RP-150M and JBL Studio 530. I really wanted like this piece because it had all the features I was looking for use in my bedroom 2channel system. However the sound quality was just not there. Bass is lacking and the midrange seems thin. I can see why they included a bass boost eq. It sounded best paired with the JBL’s but I don’t this amp delivers the full potential of any of these speakers. I also have a Cambridge CXA60 on hand for comparison which is in a different league to the NAD. The sound from the Cambridge is richer and more full bodied. 

DerKommisar,

That is a very interesting post! You somehow covered everything I've been looking at for speakers. I'm not really planning to buy more expensive speakers now though. I have the JBL 530's.

Where in the world did you see JBL 530's on display? They aren't found around as much.

I also just found this thread and noticed you replied to my thread.

They mention nCore sounding much better than UcD, which is in the NAD I'm looking at. Do you think the Cambridge sounds better because more watts RMS? Also, if so NAD a more powerful similarly priced UcD amp maybe.

I think I really wanted a class D Hypex though. I was looking into those NC400 mono block kits. That is way more power than I would need though. I think klipsch Bookshelf speakers need like 4 watts to listen at standard 80db and have power handling of like 80 watts and the NC400 are 400 watts RMS I think!

Do you have any idea how the NAD C328 would compare to my AV receiver Marantz NR1606? That is what I'm using right now.

Edited by nicesound

On 1/29/2018 at 10:13 PM, nicesound said:

DerKommisar,

That is a very interesting post! You somehow covered everything I've been looking at for speakers. I'm not really planning to buy more expensive speakers now though. I have the JBL 530's.

Where in the world did you see JBL 530's on display? They aren't found around as much.

I also just found this thread and noticed you replied to my thread.

They mention nCore sounding much better than UcD, which is in the NAD I'm looking at. Do you think the Cambridge sounds better because more watts RMS? Also, if so NAD a more powerful similarly priced UcD amp maybe.

I think I really wanted a class D Hypex though. I was looking into those NC400 mono block kits. That is way more power than I would need though. I think klipsch Bookshelf speakers need like 4 watts to listen at standard 80db and have power handling of like 80 watts and the NC400 are 400 watts RMS I think!

Do you have any idea how the NAD C328 would compare to my AV receiver Marantz NR1606? That is what I'm using right now.

I’ve owned the JBL 530 for a couple years now. I also got to demo a Marantz NR1508 for a few days as well. I thought it sounded better than the NAD  C328. 

• Moderators
On 1/29/2018 at 9:13 PM, nicesound said:

That is a very interesting post!

Nicesound, just wanted to say thank you for this thread, just general looking around here and seen the post by USNRET about the amps he had. He sold them to me for a great price and I really like the way they sound, pretty amazing for what they cost even new.

It was all an accident but worked out well, you just never know what you will run across reading here.

I ran K'horns a year or so back for several months using a Dayton audio Class D that was around 100.00.  Sound was excellent and more than adequate power.  I've also run them from a Jolida acquired from USNRET that I paid very little for.  With a change of tubes it's performed beautifully and is a stunner to look at with it's blue tube lights.  Amps do not have to cost a lot of money to sound good.  Being proud of how much one spent for one's audio gear is like crowing over how much you pay for gasoline.  I am in it for the music, not for show.  

Dave