Southern Barbeque? Fooled Again

thebes

Had a  $3 off coupon and was being lazy about making dinner.  Plus  it said right there on the label that this is "pulled pork made the traditional way".

Yup Jack Daniels's "Original Old No7 Brand Quality Seasoned and Fully Cooked Pulled Pork". Now I've always been a bit chary about anything coming from that company. They reside in one of a handful of "dry" counties left in the USA, yet the whole county earns its living distilling booze. It's kinda like Columbia outlawing cocaine.

First clue I was in for a gustatory barforium was when, having brought it home, I glanced at the ingredients list. The first item on the list: boneless pork.  Then there were things high up the list like sodium phosphate, which I think is another name for salt peter, which is used in making gunpowder and in sperm control for overeager men.

Supposedly the meat had been smoked in small batches using traditional methods with a rub.  Its possible but since there was more sauce then pork drowning in sweetness from the corn syrup (alas no corn liquor), it was impossible to discern any smoke flavor in the so called meat.

Now this may not be the last time I'm taken in by Southern crackers , but be aware I'll be  paying more attention from now on.

Here's the ingredient list:

Ingredients

BONELESS PORK, INJECTED WITH WATER, SALT, PHOSPHATE, RUBBED WITH (BLACK PEPPER, SALT, BROWN SUGAR, GARLIC, ONION), BBQ SAUCE (DARK BROWN SUGAR, SUGAR, WATER, ONION, APPLE CIDER VINEGAR, SOY SAUCE (WATER, WHEAT, SOYBEANS, SALT), TOMATO PASTE, VINEGAR, MOLASSES (MOLASSES, WHEAT STARCH, SOY FLOUR, CALCIUM STEARATE, SOY LECHITINE), CORN SYRUP, CORN STARCH, VEGETABLE OIL, GARLIC, SALT, SEASONINGS, TENNESSEE WHISKEY, LEMON JUICE, CARAMEL COLOR, CAYENNE PEPPER, BLACK PEPPER, WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE [MALTODEXTRIN, WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE [VINEGAR, MOLASSES, CORN SYRUP, SALT, CARAMEL COLOR, GARLIC POWDER, SUGAR, SPICES, TAMARIND, NATURAL FLAVORS AND SULFITING AGENT], AND SILICON DIOXIDE).
CONTAINS: SOY AND WHEAT PRODUCTS

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, USNRET said:

so my man, this was a box in the grocery store?
If so, I really thought you were a man of means by no means and knew that Southern BBQ don't come in no darn box from the store

Well now that fine fried chicken that thar Colonel makes comes in a box.

Are you tryin to a fool me inta thinkin that ain't Southern Cookin at its finest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thebes said:

like sodium phosphate, which I think is another name for salt peter,

That would be potassium nitrate.

If you want to enjoy pulled pork, buy an 8 pound Boston Butt Cut pork shoulder roast.  They are always on sale around here for $1.49 per pound. 

Make 1.5 cups rub out of 2 parts brown sugar to 1 part each of Fajita Seasoning and Lowry's Seasoned Salt.  Coat the roast in yellow mustard like the video.  It will not affect the flavor, but it will make the rub stick.  

Put the whole thing in a crock pot with no water or any liquid.  Cook on low for around 8-9 hours.  When finished you can take out the roast, put it on a baking pan and start pulling it all apart with 2 forks.  It's fall-apart tender.  Once it's all pulled, add whatever BBQ sauce you like in whatever quantity you want.  

Super easy, and it makes a lot.   It's great on toasted buns.

• Like 1

Pork BBQ with BBQsauce, I dounno dog. I live in peidmont area of NC and that is a sin. It's only vineager based BBQ pulled pork here. Once ordered BBQ in Texas and got sliced beef with BBQ sauce. Didn't see that one coming. It's all where you come from.

• Like 1

• Moderators
17 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Crock pot?  That's a crock!  12 hours in a smoker or nothing.....:emotion-19:

Or internal temp of 195 or so, nothing but a smoker will do.

The yellow mustard thing works great, season, mustard season again until no more seasoning sticks.

I add no sauce after pulling, maby a sprinkle of the same seasoning.

Just because it says southern means nothing, when traveling we always try to stay away form anywhere that says Southern, Louisiana style or especially Cajun, it usually means they just added pepper. :emotion-45:

• Moderators
19 hours ago, thebes said:

Here's the ingredient list:

I'm surprised that had that much seasoning on it, I always thought there as a huge shortage of seasoning in the north ? Every time we have ever traveled a good bit North as far as food went it was like a bland tour of eating.

The only thing that was worse was if it said "country food", I'm beginning to think this means mostly vegetables and heat until it's warm and your done. :unsure:

3 hours ago, Bigdnfay1 said:

Pork BBQ with BBQsauce, I dounno dog. I live in peidmont area of NC and that is a sin. It's only vineager based BBQ pulled pork here. Once ordered BBQ in Texas and got sliced beef with BBQ sauce. Didn't see that one coming. It's all where you come from.

It really is!  Actually, my experience among friends re: the pulled pork is some like it more without the sauce.  So, I say, "add as much or as little as you like."  Either way, it's a simple, delicious food to prepare.

3 hours ago, dtel said:

Just because it says southern means nothing, when traveling we always try to stay away form anywhere that says Southern, Louisiana style or especially Cajun, it usually means they just added pepper. :emotion-45:

Yeah, and beware of bad deep-frying down here.  Some things can just be "too much" of something.

• Like 1