Southern Barbeque? Fooled Again

thebes

5 hours ago, Bigdnfay1 said:

Pork BBQ with BBQsauce, I dounno dog. I live in peidmont area of NC and that is a sin. It's only vineager based BBQ pulled pork here. Once ordered BBQ in Texas and got sliced beef with BBQ sauce. Didn't see that one coming. It's all where you come from.

Now there is a man with his head on straight. Even though I'm strictly a dry rub man myself, the vinegar-based sauces in North Carolina, when done right, are absolutely wonderful. 

I've never understood why brown sugar, or mustard, come to think of it, are allowed within 100 miles of any decent barbecue.

No wonder there's so many missing teeth in the South.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, dtel said:

I always thought there as a huge shortage of seasoning in the north ? Every time we have ever traveled a good bit North as far as food went it was like a bland tour of eating.

Its rare and far between, but some of the best barbecue I've ever had was on the side of the road in New Jersey and in a  rib joint in my home town of Syracuse, New York started by a  bunch of bikers.

22 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Crock pot?  That's a crock!  12 hours in a smoker or nothing.....:emotion-19:

Rodger that!!!

At 170 deg. the magic starts happening, at 195 deg. your almost there, somewhere between 200 and 203 is just about perfect. Pulled pork is about as easy as it gets, and it's got to be done in a smoker maintained at 225 deg..

4 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Rodger that!!!

At 170 deg. the magic starts happening, at 195 deg. your almost there, somewhere between 200 and 203 is just about perfect. Pulled pork is about as easy as it gets, and it's got to be done in a smoker maintained at 225 deg..

You low-and-slow people are always trying to barely cook something.  Just cook it at 250 and get on with life.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

I think pork "butt" is actually the shoulder. 

It is.

4 hours ago, thebes said:

I've never understood why brown sugar, or mustard, come to think of it, are allowed within 100 miles of any decent barbecue.

With the mustard, you do not taste it at all when it's done, it's more to hold spices on and to make bark and somewhat tenderize. First time I tried this I was scared I messed it up.