Southern Barbeque? Fooled Again

thebes

• Moderators
2 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

If you can find Sugar Maple wood, it’s terrific

None of those around here, if they could grow down here I would have some planted in the yard.

4 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Mesquite is good for grilling steaks, not for smoking low and slow.

Never knew that, could be why I didn't like the taste.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Mesquite is good for grilling steaks, not for smoking low and slow.

Agreed. Mesquite gets bitter quick if you over due it.  I would like to find Pecan and Cherry, but Hickory is easy to get around here.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dtel said:

None of those around here, if they could grow down here I would have some planted in the yard.

Never knew that, could be why I didn't like the taste.

Sugar Maple's got my immediate attention as well. Can't find it locally, but found this at Amazon....  just not sure if this is the same thing as Sugar Maple.

https://www.amazon.com/Cooking-Grilling-Smoking-Camerons-Products/dp/B001VKYAFO?th=1

8 hours ago, Max2 said:

Agreed. Mesquite gets bitter quick if you over due it.  I would like to find Pecan and Cherry, but Hickory is easy to get around here.

Mesquite must be aged (or seasoned), similar to post oak. I'm not a big fan of Hickory, yet I've heard many people rave about it. I have only tried it a few times, but just didnt' like it, was way too strong...... I suspect it wasn't aged enough, or maybe it needed to be in coal form before I put the meat on. Anyway, it killed my appeite for trying Hickory, maybe it's time to give it another try. 

Post oak rocks for brisket.  I have a lot of clue, and have no problem smoking turkeys...

That being said, what I really mean is that mesquite is recognized as too strong for the milder tasting meats, like chicken.  For cabrito and older goat in south texas I'm sure it is fine---plus people have to use what they have and there are a lot of places that only had mesquite locally.  It's all good, part of the culture.

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Gilbert said:

Sugar Maple's got my immediate attention as well. Can't find it locally, but found this at Amazon....  just not sure if this is the same thing as Sugar Maple.

https://www.amazon.com/Cooking-Grilling-Smoking-Camerons-Products/dp/B001VKYAFO?th=1

Not sure if that sugar maple or one of the other maples.

As far as a tree goes I love sugar maples they just don't grow down here, but they are a nice looking tree and have great fall color. I do have one variety planted in the back yard called a Florida Flame, it's a cross between a sugar maple and red maple. It was designed to live in the south, but even it does not have that fall color of a real sugar maple. 

Post oak rocks for brisket.  I have a lot of clue, and have no problem smoking turkeys...
That being said, what I really mean is that mesquite is recognized as too strong for the milder tasting meats, like chicken.  For cabrito and older goat in south texas I'm sure it is fine---plus people have to use what they have and there are a lot of places that only had mesquite locally.  It's all good, part of the culture.
Cooking older goat LOL, .... you made me blow coffee out my nose, shame on you. We border folks affectionately refer to that as cooking "Cabron" (poor slang for cabra viejo), but actually means something else that's as equally unpleasant.

agree, post oak is definitely milder, and definitely more forgiving when it comes to aging. I guess some of you guys that had bad experiences with mesquite don't don't like it, or don't have decent access to the quality seasoned stuff.... which in my opinion starts at around 12 to 18 months for 3" to 4"dia. split limbs/logs. Post oak that size, is good to go within 4 to 6 months.

This is the seasoned pile in the back yard. Youngest branches are about 7 to 10yrs, the bigger, older trunks (18" to 24" dia) that are strickly for low and slow are around 15 to 20yrs. To get the big trunks, I have to go back home.d38a9c75a98d3c47e44315f30f0c00a9.jpg2785e2b2db947ce84906e38464f63cbb.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On 1/20/2018 at 8:41 AM, Gilbert said:

Mesquite must be aged (or seasoned), similar to post oak. I'm not a big fan of Hickory, yet I've heard many people rave about it. I have only tried it a few times, but just didnt' like it, was way too strong...... I suspect it wasn't aged enough, or maybe it needed to be in coal form before I put the meat on. Anyway, it killed my appeite for trying Hickory, maybe it's time to give it another try. 

Hickory is known to be strong, so use it lightly.  Mix a few small chunks of hickory in with mesquite.  

• Like 2

will do Jeff.

all this wood talk has me cooking out this evening. got the bbq prep'ed and ready, all I gotta do is throw a match on it. Scotch has already started flowing, and took out and doctor'ed up some bone-in ribeye's, extra-garlic sausage, bacon wrapped pork loins and a couple of my all time tasty pieces of the bovine...... "arrechera" and "mollejas".

Dang @thebes problem is that you got it out of a box. I did it once also. 

I bought some of that same brand at the BJs a few years ago and it had coffee grinds in the ingredients. NASTY! Thought knowing about whiskey would give them license to make bbq but I know better now. Gave it to the young guys from Ohio St. across the street and they ate it.

My familiar favorite is eastern NC pulled pork with vinegar & red peppers in it that gives it the flavor.

St Louis style beef brisket is fantastic so are the ribs!

Texas chili is pretty good, but I prefer it with tomatoes in it, not had bbq specific to there.

If you've never had it there is a cooking sauce around here called Carolina Treet. It's a mustard based sauce that is great on chicken or pork on your grill. So don't knock the mustard if you haven't given it a try. It's just a little different.

I like to smoke my salmon over mesquite, whew.... with some fresh asparagus and good bread!  Gotta do that again soon!

2 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

St Louis style beef brisket is fantastic so are the ribs!

St. Louis spare ribs are the parts of the ribs closer to the stomach.  They are fattier and stringier, and IMO, not as good the baby-backs, which are closer to the back.  You can tell the difference by the shape of the bone.  St. Louis are round, whereas baby-backs are flat.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I know there are two main differences in sauces depending on where your at, vinegar biased or sweet. I tend to like the sweet as long it's spicy, I also like the vinegar but I have had some that would almost take your breath away because of a strong vinegar taste, don't care for those.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

I am a little interested in this vinegar thing.  Can't recall ever trying it.

Done right the vinegar thing like marinades gets the flavor into the meat I believe. Think the Carolina Treet is at amazon.