Southern Barbeque? Fooled Again

thebes

@Jeff Matthews

Pork ribs ok, never tried any of the vinegar&pepper stuff on beef.

I've marinaded it and then used the rub liberally, then put in smoker but that was my uncles homemade sauce and rub I used.

For that Carolina Treet: I clean the chicken, soak it in a bowl with the sauce until it gets room temp 3-4hrs when it's 80F inside here in the summer. This stuff I would not use a rub with, it's a strong flavor, thick like the tomato based sauces. I just grill that. The vinegar & peppers reddish colored liquid sauce you can use a rub with it, think all the restaurants do. Seen it done marinade then rub, roast, break apart then served with the sauce that you throw it on it again.

2 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

So if I wanted to try vinegar on a rack of ribs, is it in lieu of the rub and sauce, or in addition?  And how do you apply it and how much?

The vinegar is used primarily for the sauce, not as part of the cooking process.

Western NC is tomato based, uses vinegar but is still a bit sweet.  Eastern NC is a thin sauce, more like a mop than a thick sauce, using apple cider vinegar and is strong.  Both are great additions to something that needs a little extra flavor or moisture, like pulled pork.

When I use a sauce, which is seldom, I do what is basically a mixture of both styles, ie some ketchup but always apple cider vinegar, usual spices etc.

Hardly an authority on this stuff, by the way. Got a cheap backyard style smoker  and have to use chips over charcoal.  Still, I've had some really good barbecue in my life.  Talked turkey (and lamb, and pork and beef etc.) with some serious smoker hobbyists and one of my best friends runs a little catering outfit with big Texas style trailer smoker. Its called Hiclory Smoke Barbeque, and I must say, the Hickory works very well with what she makes. Yummy,. Just thinking about it.

Yummy too, cause in another hour or two my Boston Butt will be done. Now I remember why I never make pulled pork. Takes forever.

Good thing I smoked some chicken with the butt.

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, thebes said:

Got a cheap backyard style smoker  and have to use chips over charcoal. 

I think with charcoal the good size chunks instead of chips seems to last longer.

A long time ago i did it the same way, the chip's would burn up pretty quick. I even started soaking them until I read that's not a good thing to do.

I smoked 3 racks of baby back ribs at my buddy's house last night on his Jim Bowie Green Mountain Grill ( that i bought him). Only used Woodys dry rub, rolled up, and put in fridge overnight. Smoked at 185 degrees for 2.5 hours, wrapped in foil at 325 for 1.5 hours, then 45 minutes at 325. When wrapped, I just spritz them with an apple cider vinegar and Worcestershire sauce. I prefer dry rub and cooked and sauce for those that indulge. But, no one wanted any sauce...they didn't need it. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

Very close to the 3-2-1 method, I seem to have good luck with it.

They say you should take a bite out of a rib and the rounded shape of your bite should be left in the meat if it's the right tenderness. Myself I like them more tender, where they almost fall off the bone, I don't want to fight it much.

• Moderators
17 hours ago, avguytx said:

I prefer dry rub and cooked and sauce for those that indulge. But, no one wanted any sauce...they didn't need it. 

I do the same, on occasion someone wants sauce cooked on the ribs. If I have to do that I like to add it halfway through to let it really kind of almost dry up then keep adding sauce to bake it on well, even a little burned.  There are a million ways for all of this.

On 1/17/2018 at 8:20 PM, Jeff Matthews said:

That would be potassium nitrate.

If you want to enjoy pulled pork, buy an 8 pound Boston Butt Cut pork shoulder roast.  They are always on sale around here for $1.49 per pound. 

Make 1.5 cups rub out of 2 parts brown sugar to 1 part each of Fajita Seasoning and Lowry's Seasoned Salt.  Coat the roast in yellow mustard like the video.  It will not affect the flavor, but it will make the rub stick.  

Put the whole thing in a crock pot with no water or any liquid.  Cook on low for around 8-9 hours.  When finished you can take out the roast, put it on a baking pan and start pulling it all apart with 2 forks.  It's fall-apart tender.  Once it's all pulled, add whatever BBQ sauce you like in whatever quantity you want.  

Super easy, and it makes a lot.   It's great on toasted buns.

Do you use bone in or boneless?  I grabbed a regular bone-in to give this simple recipe a try.  Weekdays are a pain in the butt with kids and jobs and after school appointments etc to make a decent meal for dinner.  I love stuff that is either quick prep and quick or hands off to cook so this definitely qualifies.  5 minute prep and all day slow cooking.

6 minutes ago, bkevind said:

Do you use bone in or boneless? 

Ha!  I just made some 2 days ago and am still enjoying leftovers.

Boneless vs. Bone-in?  I have had some chunks which had a small, slender, flat bone.  If that's bone-in, it doesn't make a difference.  The stuff falls right off the bone.  

Warning:  It's not just 5 minutes prep.  At the end, you need to pull it all apart.  That takes a little time.  It takes me about 20-25 minutes to pull an 8 pound (uncooked) roast.  But it's mmmmm.... mmmm.... good!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Ha!  I just made some 2 days ago and am still enjoying leftovers.

Boneless vs. Bone-in?  I have had some chunks which had a small, slender, flat bone.  If that's bone-in, it doesn't make a difference.  The stuff falls right off the bone.  

Warning:  It's not just 5 minutes prep.  At the end, you need to pull it all apart.  That takes a little time.  I takes me about 20-25 minutes to pull an 8 pound (uncooked) roast.  But it's mmmmm.... mmmm.... good!

Hah nice!  Just curious about cook time with the bone, I suppose it's about the temperature of the meat anyway.  The butt I got was only 5.6lbs, which so happens to just fit in my smallish crock pot, hopefully it turns out.  It's hard to find fajita seasoning without a lot of MSG in it, but I did find one, I was about to just mix up my own.

Yeah I wasn't counting pull time!  Also will be making a quick cole slaw and some fries.  Hawaiian style sweet rolls to eat as sliders or just because.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bkevind said:

Hah nice!  Just curious about cook time with the bone, I suppose it's about the temperature of the meat anyway.  The butt I got was only 5.6lbs, which so happens to just fit in my smallish crock pot, hopefully it turns out.  It's hard to find fajita seasoning without a lot of MSG in it, but I did find one, I was about to just mix up my own.

Yeah I wasn't counting pull time!  Also will be making a quick cole slaw and some fries.  Hawaiian style sweet rolls to eat as sliders or just because.

OK.  If the bone is more than 10%, you have a different cut of meat than I am used to using.  It's still a roast, though, and it should be fine.  

Just cook on low.  If you go that long on high, you will ruin it.  I had a couple of friends try, but they burned it that way. 

For a 5.6-pounder, 7 hours will probably do it.   This last one I did was probably 4-5 pounds, and I let it go 6 hours.  It's hard to find them around here under 7 pounds, and so I cut them in half for 2 uses.

Enjoy!  

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Jeff Matthews said:

It takes me about 20-25 minutes to pull an 8 pound (uncooked) roast.  But it's mmmmm.... mmmm.... good!

If you cook this often it's worth having a better way to pull them, with this it takes about 1-2 minutes max to pull 2 butts. You put the buts in a tall pot, connect this to a cordless drill set to high, start the drill and just press it into the meat. It shreds it perfectly and fast. The reason for the tall pot is if not little pieces will fly, the 2 little dogs we have would rather I use a short pot. The sell them online about $60 but being cheap I made this one from SS, It's 14" tall.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 6:38 PM, USNRET said:

If so, I really thought you were a man of means by no means and knew that Southern BBQ don't come in no darn box from the store

Well, I didn't comb the entire thread but had to comment here.  I've had BBQ from all over the world, but, of course, the bulk of it being Arkansas Hickory, Oak, fruitwood and the same from Texas, add mesquite, of course to that one.  

But the best pulled pork is from the Carolinas and the sauce is ANYTHING but sweet.  Thin vinegar sauce with as many variants and claims as the Texas tomato based stuff.  I've  recipe I use with pulled pork that is authentic, but for a bit of heat and personalization due to my Southwestern bias...but I love the stuff they make as well.

Dave

Ok, it being close to lunch and with Naaman's just down the street, decided to review all.  Noted the reference to the southeastern vinegar sauce.  Also noticed that, will there are a lot of savvy tidbits here to get the stomach rumbling, I find myself wanting to head south, to the border, for a visit to Gilbert.  There's a man who knows his BBQ!

Dave

4 hours ago, Mallette said:

Well, I didn't comb the entire thread but had to comment here.  I've had BBQ from all over the world, but, of course, the bulk of it being Arkansas Hickory, Oak, fruitwood and the same from Texas, add mesquite, of course to that one.  

But the best pulled pork is from the Carolinas and the sauce is ANYTHING but sweet.  Thin vinegar sauce with as many variants and claims as the Texas tomato based stuff.  I've  recipe I use with pulled pork that is authentic, but for a bit of heat and personalization due to my Southwestern bias...but I love the stuff they make as well.

Dave

My source of vinegar is a pile of pickled jalapenos.  ;)

• Like 1

On 1/31/2018 at 12:25 PM, Jeff Matthews said:

OK.  If the bone is more than 10%, you have a different cut of meat than I am used to using.  It's still a roast, though, and it should be fine.  

Just cook on low.  If you go that long on high, you will ruin it.  I had a couple of friends try, but they burned it that way. 

For a 5.6-pounder, 7 hours will probably do it.   This last one I did was probably 4-5 pounds, and I let it go 6 hours.  It's hard to find them around here under 7 pounds, and so I cut them in half for 2 uses.

Enjoy!  

It was pretty good, and family approved.  The bone turned out to be quite small.  Tons of meat...we had our third meal of it tonight and still had leftovers, which are now in the bellies of our happy dogs (3 days in a row, we're pulled porked out).  For the first day I made a mustard sauce as part of the pulled pork slider concept.  I enjoyed it.  Pretty much anything on a sweet roll is a win :D  Mustard sauce was: Mustard (duh), fresh garlic, honey, a little mayo and ketchup, cider vinegar and cayenne.

Cook time was close to 7 hours I'd say, I might have gone a little too long as I let it get to about 184F.  180 was probably about right.

• Like 1