Southern Barbeque? Fooled Again

thebes

13 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

You low-and-slow people are always trying to barely cook something.  Just cook it at 250 and get on with life.

LOL, low and slow is not important with a boston butt, because there's so much fat, that you really have to be a royal screw-up to ruin the meat...... so I agree with you on that. But I do prefer a my bbq meats with a natural smokey wood flavor, just not over the top smokey. I use different kinds wood, depending on the type of meat, and my mood; but Post Oak (mild smokey) and Mesquite (heavy smokey) are best for Pork and Beef. I prefer my chicken with mesquite though. I also like Pecan and Apple, but apple's hard to find, and I usually have to order it. Those are good for fish, and turkey. Apple wood will make some killer smoked turkey. Turkey's a challenge, haven't mastered that one yet.

As for Crock Pots, I like them, the wife has made pot roast that's to die for, using both crock pots and slow pressure-cookers.

When it comes to a beef brisket, the low and slow mantra true, and it is critical to getting it moist (unless you buy a real fatty packer's cut brisket). Either way, there is real need to drag out the cooking process within the 175 to 185 temp zone. 170 is the the temp when the fat marbleing just starts to begin to melt and ooze into the meat grain. If you want to rush it through, you can use the Texas crutch method, or just add another cigar and couple high balls to the process if you go low and slow. There's some tricks to draging out the process too, once you take it off the smoker. I cool mine down for 6 to 8 hours, and their still hot to the touch.

I've learned the hard way. I've wasted too many good quality briskets thinking there was some magical time 10 hr. , 12 hr. etc..., but there's a real science to getting it right everytime. And temperature is key. but the science actually begins at the grocery store and knowing what to pick out. I have not screwed-up a brisket since finally learning to do it right. I cook about 3 to 4 briskets a year for my family. I have friends that ask me to call the week before I smoke a brisket, because they want me to include theirs in the smoker. They do their own rub. I can fit 3 large (15 to 18 lbs) briskets in my smoker, which is just enough time to get in a game of golf, and kill a few cigars and scotch with some friends.

I think anyone here can make good BBQ, but what sucks is when you crave it for a lunch break, you go in some giant shingle that someone has thrown up and its just bad.  We have a few Q places around here, but they're mostly pre-cooked/smoked meat coming right from Sysco.  Manufactured Cole slaw, etc. etc. 

I live in and grew up in Texas.  Rarely have I ever had good bbq.  I've also traveled all over the US and just can't say I've ever been much impressed with any bbq.  I think the really "good" ones are few and far between so you have to know where to go.  

The best I recall having was a little family run affair, I think it was in Rowlett Tx, years ago.  I think it was a mirage and I was dreaming, because I could never find it again.  But it was the best BBQ I've ever had.  It was classic TX bbq, but everything was just really good, felt like it was infused with love and joy of making it.

I tend to shy away from BBQ these days, as I'm pretty tired of bad bbq and it's not worth wasting a meal/money on bad food.

There are supposedly 1 or 2 really good bbq around the Austin area.   I find places like County Line, and Salt Lick to be decent, and at least ok to have once in a while.  

I think part of it is that it's low quality cuts of meat, that you have to really work at to make taste good.  Give me a tenderloin roast any day, even if you screw it up, it still tastes good and is tender lol.

That said, I'd like to try the crock pot pork as descried earlier in this thread.  Simple to do, maybe it will be better than the crap I get from restaurants.  

3 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

The crock pot pork is not BBQ, no matter how good it might be.  It takes real smoke to make real BBQ.  There is a lot of good out there, but it is mostly made in people's back yards not restaurants.  Part of the magic is the personal aspect.

Yeah I hear ya.  I suppose I should just get a decent smoker and start the trial and error process until I find a method I can repeat.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bkevind said:

Yeah I hear ya.  I suppose I should just get a decent smoker and start the trial and error process until I find a method I can repeat.

I think that's the ticket there.  we got one about a year ago & love it.  we don't use it often but get pretty good results.  now, we haven't searched for any feedback from others, and don't really care - yanno?  if we like it, what else is there?  and I'm no expert by any means, but love the finished product.

when I bought our house about 5 yr ago, seller included a natural gas grill.  before we got the smoker, we would grill a couple times a month.  now, I don't think we've used the grill in the year that we've had our smoker.  and don't miss it too much.

• Like 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Gilbert said:

Apple wood will make some killer smoked turkey. Turkey's a challenge, haven't mastered that one yet.

Never tried Apple on a turkey, :emotion-21:

I do like hickory with turkey, comes out with a ham flavor.

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

It takes real smoke to make real BBQ.  There is a lot of good out there, but it is mostly made in people's back yards not restaurants.  Part of the magic is the personal aspect.

That's true, and it is kind of personal, you go to a restaurant and you never know who is back there rubbing your butt.

• Like 1

Now you've pushed me over the edge, Jim. I'm going to go out in the snow and fire-up the smoker. I've been waiting for several days for a complete thaw so I could smoke two racks of pork ribs & one of beef. "Shack" sauce, homemade.

SSH

Now another way to veer off this topic is to ask which is everyone's preference as to cooking BBQ....meaning what type of grill, method, etc.  A lot of folks BBQ'ing at home don't mind tending to the pit all night long to get that perfect smoke but I've gotten away from that in the past year.  I bought a Green Mountain Pellet Grill and also one for my best friend that he (and his wife, mainly) helped us get my mothers house ready to sell last year.  Yes, there's better ways than a pellet grill but in 30+ years of grilling and BBQ'ing, it's been hard to beat.  I've done St Louis Ribs (cut from full racks), baby backs, brisket, butts, shoulders, chickens, turkeys, and even salmon.  I have not yet had one falter.  I love BBQ and could eat it once a week if weather permitted.  It's all about ones own personal technique, timing, and hitting that temperature point.  Most everything I BBQ is done with a dry rub and people can put their sauce on whatever it is at the end.  I like the Franklin's sauce as it's easy to make and tastes quite good if you need it.  I go simple on dry rubs depending on what I'm cooking; some things get only salt and pepper, like briskets, and with others, I'll use a more spiced out rub.  But I just don't like it to be too loaded and take away from the smoke flavor....I want it  to blend.  I tend to use olive oil to hold my rub and my buddy said he tried mayonnaise  awhile back with decent results.  You don't really taste that part, though.

Crock pot bbq?  Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.  I'd rather have the real thing.

7 hours ago, Max2 said:

I think anyone here can make good BBQ, but what sucks is when you crave it for a lunch break, you go in some giant shingle that someone has thrown up and its just bad.  We have a few Q places around here, but they're mostly pre-cooked/smoked meat coming right from Sysco.  Manufactured Cole slaw, etc. etc. 

In the Houston area, we have a BBQ chain restaurant named, "Spring Creek BBQ."  They are consistently good.

6 hours ago, bkevind said:

That said, I'd like to try the crock pot pork as descried earlier in this thread.  Simple to do, maybe it will be better than the crap I get from restaurants.

Trust me; you'll like it.  Just do the sauce however you prefer.  Even none is perfectly fine.  The rub is a must-have.  Throw some onions of jalapenos in if you like.  

6 hours ago, oldtimer said:

The crock pot pork is not BBQ, no matter how good it might be.  It takes real smoke to make real BBQ.  There is a lot of good out there, but it is mostly made in people's back yards not restaurants.  Part of the magic is the personal aspect.

When it comes to smoked meats, I like them, but I get my fill for a while rather quickly.  I like BBQ maybe once every 1 - 2 months.  Same goes for the crock pot, too!  It's good just to mix it up.  I don't consider one method better than the other.  If you're in the mood for a mouthful of smoke, smoke it up!

6 hours ago, dtel said:

you go to a restaurant and you never know who is back there rubbing your butt.

I love this sentence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Big fan of pecan wood for smoking but if I want to bump up the smoke flavor I'll go with cherry or apple. Can't seem to do anything decent tasting with mesquite so I mostly skip that. Same for hickory which should be reserved for bacon.

There was actually for many years around here a company that sold their pulled pork in the major grocery stores, and it was pretty darn good.  Way above anything you'd find in a chain store today. Mostly meat, with just a bit of sauce but a we bit sweet. Of course, I can't recall the name.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bkevind said:

Rarely have I ever had good bbq.  

Just down the road from Austin, less than an hours drive is Lockhart, TX....... aka The BBQ Capital of Texas.

In Lockhart you've got 4 good choices to choose from, some have been in business since the 1800's. My family likes mine best :D, but I'll take Kreuz's BBQ any day of the week,  just don't ask for sauce, not that you'll need it anyway.

Hell, even in Austin you have Franklin's, and there's a Black's also. Franklin's can get crazy though, the line can go around the buillding and down the corner.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Just down the road from Austin, less than an hours drive is Lockhart, TX....... aka The BBQ Capital of Texas.

In Lockhart you've got 4 good choices to choose from, some have been in business since the 1800's. My family likes mine best :D, but I'll take Kreuz's BBQ any day of the week,  just don't ask for sauce, not that you'll need it anyway.

Hell, even in Austin you have Franklin's, and there's a Black's also. Franklin's can get crazy though, the line can go around the buillding and down the corner.

Franklin's and Black's were the two I was thinking of that I have yet to go to check out.  

There was a place we used to ride to in the motorcycle club but I can't remember what it was called.  It was pretty good.  You would pick your meat out from what they had on the grills/smokers.  They had giant pots of beans out to grab your own.

Looks like I'll have to check out Kreuz's.

• Moderators
6 hours ago, ssh said:

Now you've pushed me over the edge, Jim. I'm going to go out in the snow and fire-up the smoker. I've been waiting for several days for a complete thaw so I could smoke two racks of pork ribs & one of beef. "Shack" sauce, homemade.

SSH

If your talking about your homemade sauce, I can say it's very good, you gave me a bottle when you left a bunch for Rodney. Really good, not overly sweet and a little spicy, very good recipe. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, thebes said:

Can't seem to do anything decent tasting with mesquite so I mostly skip that. Same for hickory which should be reserved for bacon.

I had the same problem with mesquite, mostly use oak sometimes hickory, tried most of the others. I do love the smell of hickory burning.

We have a wood burning heater as our only heat, so I always have red and white oak, as much as I smoke it's convenient.