Frankenspeaker to the rescue

vasubandu

One thing that has really surprised me is the extent to which people modify speakers.  I would have thought that the way speakers were made was sacrosanct and that you could not change anything without risk of ruining the whole speaker.  But people gut speakers and replace their crossovers and other parts.  All with the intent to improve them, but I thought that the speaker makers would know all the tricks.  There is a lot more flexibility and room for creativity than i expected.

So naturally, I took all my speakers apart, and now I don't know which pieces go to which speakers.  OK, that is not true.  I am a very long ways away from even thinking of doing that.  But not a long ways from getting someone else to do it.  And thank God for @jjptkd because he lives not far away and has more speakers than his other half would prefer.  Plus he knows how to gut speakers and bring them back to life.  

My favorite speaker is my RC-7.  I just love that thing to pieces, so I have been asking around about using them for LCR.  I mean it has 2 8-inch woofers, so it ought to be up to the task.  But @jjptkd had a better idea.  He went into a room with 2 RF-5 and 2 RC-7 and came out with 2 RFC-5 and 2 CRF-7.  They both have the same woofer, but the CR-7 has a 1.75" true compression driver instead a  a 1" titanium driver. So I guess it was a simple transplant, but the crossover had to be transplanted too.  And they all lived.  

So now I have 2 RC-7 in the body of an RF-5.  No weird horizontal right and left.  And I even get to keep the mutant RC-7, which I hope to use for Atmos.  

I have not heard these guys yet, but I am amazed and delighted to see that my RC-7 all the way around idea could actually be implemented.  I am just afraid the Klipsch will hear about my idea and steal it.

• Moderators

Your funny,:D don't drive yourself crazy, anyway there is nothing that can't be upgraded. Look how much you have learned and what you have already, your doing well.

Reminds me of what a forum member once said.

"There a set collect them all"   

Michael Colter