Chorus 1 Build / Rebuild

jjptkd

As some of may know I've been trying to find a pair of Chorus 1's for a little over 2 years now local to me in the Seattle area without any luck. I grew so frustrated and impatient that I actually assembled my own creation with a mixture of parts that ended up being closer to a hybrid Pro CornScala / Heritage Inspired 362, details are in another thread. 

Long story short as I was adding the finishing touches to my 362 build a pair of empty Chorus 1 cabinets became available in Portland, a short 6 hour round trip from my house so I dropped everything and went and picked them up. I just finished assembling them a day or two ago and have been enjoying them ever since so figured I'd post a few pictures of the project so here it goes. Parts include titanium tweeters, NOS k-52-H mid diaphragms, Crites rebuilt Chorus II crossovers and new k-45 woofers. All horns / drivers input cups have gasket tape and I added egg crate acoustic foam inside the cabinets. The paint job turned out much nicer than I could have imagined, not perfect but very nice! 

ch1frntlft (604x640).jpg

20180111_084915 (640x480).jpg

20180111_093448 (640x492).jpg

20180111_093532 (480x640).jpg

20180116_114347 (480x640).jpg

20180116_165301 (480x640).jpg

20180118_082919 (480x640).jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

They look great. That is the paint that was often recommended/used by other members here years ago. On one project using that paint I wanted to knock down the sheen a little so I buffed with one of those Scotch pads, a fine grit. Turned out great. But that was just an amp stand. Didn't want it to steal any glory from my Chorus I's. They looked just like yours.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dtr20 said:

Spray paint cans?

No, used a 4" roller for the first two coats then a small smooth finish / trim roller for the final. Sanded them initially with 220 and again with 220 after first coat then 320 before final coat. Should have spent a little more time but they turned out decent enough. After I steam cleaned the grills the speakers look brand new. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MookieStl said:

They look great!!! BUT..... "I've been enjoying them.." is not much of a review on speakers you have been trying to score for a couple years.

I haven't had a whole lot of listening time with them yet and the woofers are brand new so they were breaking in during the few hours I got to listen to them. They really sound very similar to my 362's. I love the Chorus sound and have had a few pairs already over the years so pretty much knew what to expect. The Chorus 1's were the second pair of Klipsch speakers I ever heard as a young teen as my aunt went out and bought a pair after she heard my late uncle's (her brother) forte / Carver system. I'll post more after the weekend when I get a chance to really put them through their paces. 

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 10:48 PM, jjptkd said:

I haven't had a whole lot of listening time with them yet and the woofers are brand new so they were breaking in during the few hours I got to listen to them. They really sound very similar to my 362's. I love the Chorus sound and have had a few pairs already over the years so pretty much knew what to expect. The Chorus 1's were the second pair of Klipsch speakers I ever heard as a young teen as my aunt went out and bought a pair after she heard my late uncle's (her brother) forte / Carver system. I'll post more after the weekend when I get a chance to really put them through their paces. 

Yes man, very happy to hear you got the project built after all this time. They look fine am sure from here. Do let us know how they burn-in for you.B)

3 minutes ago, 314carpenter said:

If you were just starting out, I would have recommended using Dupli-Color 1608 black lacquer semi-gloss. This is within 5# of the original Klipsch black lacquer sheen. Another product link https://duplicolor.com/product/premium-lacquer

Thanks for all of your advice, I really should have done some research before taking on the task. My original plan did not include paint at all but when I picked up the cabinets they had sort of an orange-ish tint to them from the previous owner trying to stain them without any luck I guess than he half-heartily tried to remove the stain. The wife absolutely hates oak finish as it is and trying to convince her to let a pair of cheeto's sit in our living room wasn't going to go over too well so I just covered them up in a hurry. 

The paint turned out ok, better than I thought using rollers but I'm thinking I may add a clear coat soon but not sure. These things are heavy and already in place at the house, I'd have to pack them up and take them to my storage to do anything else to them and that sounds like a lot of work. 

• 1 year later...
On 9/30/2019 at 8:56 AM, rockhound said:

How about a long term review, since this thread is over a year old??

These sold a couple weeks after I finished them as stated above I had just completed or nearly completed my custom pro CornScalas around the same time as I started this project.

As much as I love the Chorus 1's the larger CF-4 horn (now being used in the Cornwall IV) mated with the A55-g mid driver and CT-120 tweeters easily won the side by side test. 

On 9/30/2019 at 11:34 PM, Dave A said:

I am curious too and would like to know why you used K-45's and not K-48's

My custom pro style CornScalas started out as two ki-215 subwoofers which came with dual k-45's. I kept one pair for me and used the other pair in these Chorus speakers since I only had a single k-48 at the time.

When assembling my custom speakers I ran the k48 next to the k45 and I honestly could not hear any difference between the two, not in sound or perceivable output level and believe me I wanted the k48 to be louder as the numbers say they should be but I couldn't hear it after pretty extensive testing. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, billybob said:

Remember awhile back your Chorus adventure s...that is interesting about the K-45's... not hip to them...cool

K 48’s...rock.

The k-45 / K-48 look identical on the outside same size magnet and everything difference is the k-48 is 4 ohm and the k-45 is 8 ohm. 

• Thanks 1