Chorus 1 Build / Rebuild

jjptkd

8 hours ago, jjptkd said:

These sold a couple weeks after I finished them as stated above I had just completed or nearly completed my custom pro CornScalas around the same time as I started this project.

As much as I love the Chorus 1's the larger CF-4 horn (now being used in the Cornwall IV) mated with the A55-g mid driver and CT-120 tweeters easily won the side by side test. 

Ok cool thanks, I'm picking up a pair in a few weeks that I got for a great price. I have owned the version 2 and thought it was outstanding. Never heard the version 1's.

I believe the K-45 is used in the KPT-456 KPT-904LF type bass bin and is capable of 400 watts where the K-48 is capable of 200 watts. I can tell you that a KP-301 or Chorus sounds like a book shelf speaker next to something like the KPT-456 with two 400 watt woofers and a 2" throat horn in there.

Ok cool thanks, I'm picking up a pair in a few weeks that I got for a great price. I have owned the version 2 and thought it was outstanding. Never heard the version 1's.

The Chorus I's are my favorite vintage speaker. Front ported and can go anywhere and sound the same. Respond really well to recapping and new tweeters with B&C DE10 drivers. I am not a big fan of passives as they get torn up way to often and only work well with a wall or corner behind them. Bass is sharp and crisp and none of that boomy box sound I so dislike with Cornwalls.

38 minutes ago, Dave A said:

I believe the K-45 is used in the KPT-456 KPT-904LF type bass bin and is capable of 400 watts where the K-48 is capable of 200 watts. I can tell you that a KP-301 or Chorus sounds like a book shelf speaker next to something like the KPT-456 with two 400 watt woofers and a 2" throat horn in there.

The Chorus I's are my favorite vintage speaker. Front ported and can go anywhere and sound the same. Respond really well to recapping and new tweeters with B&C DE10 drivers. I am not a big fan of passives as they get torn up way to often and only work well with a wall or corner behind them. Bass is sharp and crisp and none of that boomy box sound I so dislike with Cornwalls.

post-36834-0-81020000-1444355759_thumb.j

Rebuilt a pair of Chorus I for another member a few years back. Toyed with the idea of using the mid horn from the II but was working on a budget.

It would have been nice to try since we built the cabinets from scratch. I too prefer the front ports to the rear passive, but would assume the the tractrix horn would be an improvement. Sounded very nice when done.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Dave A said:

What plans did you follow?

I had the old water damaged cabinets. Built the same as original with a few extra braces for good measure.

I'm pretty sure I saved the route file for the motorboard (1" thick) with the recesses etc.

The rest of the cabinet was cut on a table saw.

post-36834-0-20460000-1443490794_thumb.jpost-36834-0-22820000-1443643864_thumb.j

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

If you are working on them and have them opened up, I would add some that attach to the inside walls. You don't want anything to block the port.

The return is minimal, so I wouldn't make it a project just to add the foam. Others have added tubes to the port and felt it was an improvement as well. Worth the effort if you have them opened up or are bored and looking to tinker. Improvements would be minor. If you like what you hear, as jimbo implied, leave it alone. The smart guys at Klipsch didn't put it in, so it can't be a big deal. 

port.jpg.184337885f086d9e32e20ec2e5e4f5d9.jpg

8 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

If you are working on them and have them opened up, I would add some that attach to the inside walls. You don't want anything to block the port.

The return is minimal, so I wouldn't make it a project just to add the foam. Others have added tubes to the port and felt it was an improvement as well. Worth the effort if you have them opened up or are bored and looking to tinker. Improvements would be minor. If you like what you hear, as jimbo implied, leave it alone. The smart guys at Klipsch didn't put it in, so it can't be a big deal. 

port.jpg.184337885f086d9e32e20ec2e5e4f5d9.jpg

I'm with Mookie on this. Recap and new tweets is all I would ever do to the Chorus I. OK you might get deeper bass with those tubes but I will bet you money the sound will become muddy or stiffled in some form or fashion. I like the crisp precise bass from those and would not dream of changing it.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Onform said:

I do own then yes and actually find them a bit too bass heavy in my room, (too small), was just wondering what effect lining the inside walls with foam would have? Would it tighten the bass or be more boomy? 

More boomy, that's not what you want to do.

On 1/15/2021 at 2:34 PM, Onform said:

Surely a bit of extra bracing would tighten things up a bit? 

CW 1,2 and 3 yes but not Chorus. I have taken clamps to the sides and front to back of Chorus speakers just to see if it would make a difference. At any reasonable volume level I could hear none. Past a certain point sound begins to break up in my listening environment unless it is with a pro Klipsch box which seems to overcome room problems better. Once I get that loud with Chorus speakers I have lost sound quality anyway and not because the box needs bracing.

At some point in time you might begin thinking about a bigger better speakers as tinkering will only bring you so much and then further tinkering can actually take you backwards. The Chorus is well engineered but may not be enough for you now.