Rf3II vs. newer Reference Premier RP-260, 280 & RP-450C

mykwazowski

New to the community all, but long time Klipsch supporter. 

I've been using the RF3II ( Fronts)and RC3II (Center) I'd say well over 12 years, they have gone through many homes, configurations, receivers, amps, etc...I've had them paired up with an Onkyo TX-NR929 for the past 2 years, for the most part i've been pretty happy, before that a Yamaha RX-V3900, The Onkyo seems to give the speakers a bit more punch, not quite as relaxed as the Yamaha or Denon I've had them paired up with, Although I have mixed results with Auddessy it seems to do ok.

My questions are regarding the newer models, specifically the RP-260's or possibly the RP-280's (fronts) and  RP-450C (center) I'm looking to upgrade, either stay with Klipsch or switch to Martin Logan Motion 60xt (fronts) Motion 50xt (center) I've demoed the 260's with the smaller motion 40 side by side, it wasn't the perfect demo, but gave me a good starting point. 

At first my ear was drawn to the Klipsch....Force of habit really, I've grown accustomed to that "horn" sound, but after listening for 20min or (stereo, pure audio mode) I noticed that overall the ML's seemed a bit warmer, smoother, and maybe a bit more details/clarity in the music. They both seemed to get really loud with minimal distortion or reaching their limits, unfortunately they didn't have the larger models for me to compare, I'd assume they would still have the same soundstage, but sound a bit fuller and louder.

I'm really into 2 channel and 5.1 music, also movies. I'd say about 60/40 music/movies, I tend to play concert films and 5.1 music (studio or live) at reference level, when it's mixed correct and at that level, most of it is though. I love loud music! I've heard that the ML's lend themselves a bit better for music? Maybe because they don't have that "in your face" sound the Klipsch's do...Personally I don't mind that. I will say I don't have the perfect listening space at the moment, it's only 20ftx20ft...give or take, but want to size up in speakers just because I plan on using them eventually in a much bigger environment. 

I also am using RB-61II's (bookshelf) for rears, I'm a huge fan of direct sound, as opposed to dipole because of all the 5.1 music, sure not as immersive for movies, but its a happy medium I deal with. 

I am also using one Sunfire True Signature (12") subwoofer, which like the rears has it's drawbacks for music, but rocks for movies...I'm looking at adding a Dymo 1000 or 700 to pair with the sunfire, or possibly ditch the Sunfire for 2 700's. The sunfire is in a corner placement,  I must admit I haven't tried placing it next to one of the fronts, maybe it would tighten up the low end a bit...?

I just wanted to get some perspective from people whom may have demoed these models side by side. I do understand they are like comparing apples to oranges though, and everyone has their own preferences etc. Thank all. Cheers! \,,/ 

Quite a bit of difference in price of the ML 60s and RP family.  The AMT should provide very detailed sound and the MLs will provide more relaxed, smoother sounding (though maybe not in reality).  The Klipsch RPs will be less relaxed with more jump factor.  The key is weigh the cost with the perspective on the sound you like.  RPs and MLs are both very good speakers.

*Update*

I was able to demo a Motion 50xt (center) and compare it side by side -at home, and to be honest I was hoping to be blown away, truth though...I wasn't! Sure, the Martin Logan is 3 times what I paid for the Klipsch RC-3II, It was prettier :) but it didn't perform any better than the Klipsch, I did notice maybe a bit more smoothness...maybe, they both had about the same low end, and clarity, I kept going back to the Klipsch. I tested them both as front Left, Right also as a dedicated center channel. I think I'm going to wait till August, and go with the new 2018 Reference premier models, hopefully I'll be able to demo them first.