JMO

Hello,

Current speaker setup,

RF-82 Fronts

RC-62 Center

RS-52 Surrounds

RS-42 Backs

SVS PB12 Sub

I also have a spare set of R-14M Bookshelf’s I picked up.

I recently made the transition from a Denon 3808CI 130w 1080p AVr to a Denon X4400H 125w 4K AVR (Atmos and DTS:X).

I am unable to put any speakers on my ceiling as it is sloped (no attic space) and has a large beam running down the center of the room.  Actual Atmos upfiring speakers wouldn’t be worth it based on the left to right slope of the ceiling.  The room is about 22’ long (65” OLED at one end and 20’ wide.  Sitting position is about 12’ from the screen and RS-52 Surrounds are slightly behind seating on side walls.

I would like the best setup I can get for Atmos and DTS:X material given he limitations I have.

Which of these options would be better utilizing what I have ($ cutoff by wife...),

Option 1:

RF-82 Fronts

R-14M set as Front Heights above RF-82s

RC-62 Center

RS-52 Surrounds

RS-42 set as Backs

SVS PB12 Sub

Option 2:

RF-82 Fronts

R-14M set as Front Heights above RF-82s

RC-62 Center

RS-52 Surrounds

RS-42 set as Rear Heights

SVS PB12 Sub

Thanks for any advice!

J

Edited by JMO
Change Title and Added Room Info

6 hours ago, dimanata2007 said:

Do you think the R-14M would perform good enough as height speakers? I'm looking to add 2 down firing Atmos speakers and size and budget wise the R-14M look like a good choice. I'm planning to put them above my fronts and angle them down toward the MLP.

I use a pair of r15ms as back surrounds and they do fine.  Honestly if you already havd them use them, but if not I would look to get a used pair of rb41s as they are cheap, match your other speakers and are higher quality.  i say this as someone who owns both the r15ms and rb51s.  for height they should be fine.  i often see pairs of used rp140s cheap used too, another good option.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RoboKlipsch said:

I use a pair of r15ms as back surrounds and they do fine.  Honestly if you already havd them use them, but if not I would look to get a used pair of rb41s as they are cheap, match your other speakers and are higher quality.  i say this as someone who owns both the r15ms and rb51s.  for height they should be fine.  i often see pairs of used rp140s cheap used too, another good option.

Yeap, they caught my attention cuz they are pretty cheap (I've seen used pairs in great condition for $100) and match my other speakers. I haven't seen any cheap dedicated "Atmos" speakers and paying $300-400 for a pair of R-14SA or RP-140SA is "a bit" more than I can afford.