Yamaha YPAO setting with Forte ll.

37scoop

I've been playing around with the options and would like to know from those who have been down this road.  Forte ll LR. Academy center. SVS PB200 sub.

Yamaha RX A1070. Am going back and forth with YPAO settings and finding it tough mostly because I cant A/B it quickly enough to compare.

Have received advice from both Yamaha and SVS. I'm throwing it out to you.

Option 1:

Set LRC to large and add "extra bass". This extends bass settings from the fronts to the sub and allows me to utilize the low end of the Forte lls while allowing the sub to join in.

Option 2:

Set LRF to small, set the crossover (recommended 80) and cancel the "extra bass" option on the receiver, thereby sending low at that set point to the sub only.

I'm in the process of trying it out now but wanted to hear from anyone who's gone before me.

Thanks.

• Moderators

Option 2

Well I went through the same thing almost the same speakers, but I did not have YPAO.

I had LCR Forte ll, rear center Forte ll and rear RL original Forte.  DIY sub 5 Cf, low 20hz

I tried all set large, front large rear small, a few different combinations and like you said it's hard to tell with time between the changes.

People here explained that with everything set to small this gave my AVR a break, also gave the speakers a break not trying to go as deep. I had a problem at first getting a grip on the idea of cutting off the speaker at 80 hz. Well I tried it both ways off and on for a week, I did end up hearing the difference after a couple of times.

They were right, set to cross at 80 and sending the rest to the sub made the AVR and speakers sound better. Also one thing was when set to large the bass sounded not as clean sounding, It was like with the lower bass coming from so many different positions it just didn't blend in as well.

This was just my experience

Cool setup you put together, I went with another Forte ll for a center because at the time the Academy cost as much as a pair of Forte ll's or more and not easy to find.

Thanks for your reply dtel. I'll tried the large setting last night for the first time with a 4K sic-fi movie with lots of low end. I could hear the silverware rattling in my kitchen. Regarding your center selection, for a while I was using a Quartet on it's side. I had it in use for a few months before I decided it was just way too big (my HT is in my living room). I switched back to the Academy center and dont really notice the difference. In my next life I'll use it again in a room where the aesthetics dont matter. My wife would be happy if I got rid of the Forte's all together because of their size. I have them on stands that put the mid horn at ear level and it makes a difference. Unfortunately, it also makes them appear huge. Not sure I'll win that battle in the long run.

• Moderators
13 hours ago, 37scoop said:

Thanks for your reply dtel. I'll tried the large setting last night for the first time with a 4K sic-fi movie with lots of low end. I could hear the silverware rattling in my kitchen. Regarding your center selection, for a while I was using a Quartet on it's side. I had it in use for a few months before I decided it was just way too big (my HT is in my living room). I switched back to the Academy center and dont really notice the difference. In my next life I'll use it again in a room where the aesthetics dont matter. My wife would be happy if I got rid of the Forte's all together because of their size. I have them on stands that put the mid horn at ear level and it makes a difference. Unfortunately, it also makes them appear huge. Not sure I'll win that battle in the long run.

That's funny, living room here also 18d x 24w, open another 16' behind the sofa so roughly 34' x 24, the funny part is what you said about your wife.

Aesthetics is considered after sound for us, my wife also like the way it looks. But we have a rule, we live here and like it, if anyone has a problem with it please don't offend yourself by coming back. :lol:

Huge, you have no idea, well she doesn't, I will look for a pic so you can show what huge is. Convince the wife your well within normal and there are much worse habits/hobby's.

The 6 forte's in the room is for HT, there is also a 2 Ch setup in the room also which make the 6 Forte's look tiny. The sub shared by both setups alone is bigger than all the forte's put together, and each 2 ch speaker is almost 6' wide. 

The funny part about your wife was I have no idea what that's like, my wife picked out the much bigger 2 ch speakers and would not get rid of any of them. 

No new pics of the living room so this was before the sub, Tv on cabinet.

house-08-1.JPG.0bf9adece873c941e59c59b576e1c635.JPG

• Moderators

This is after the sub, Tv now mounted the wall and electronics on top of the sub. For size that's a 65" TV.

So you can get an idea how it would look, the room was change a little for the holidays for a tree so no new pics, almost back to normal/ abnormal. 

Show this to your wife, it will make the forte's look smaller, three in the first pic, the rear 3 are right above that first pic on the side of a beam going across the ceiling, can't see them in that pic or that side of the room. It all sounds great.

New sub/electronics holder. :emotion-21:  Your feeling normal now. :D 

house sub.JPG

• Like 1

Great set-up. You obviously made the furniture/stands as needed. Room looks very nice. Must be amazing to settle in, close the drapes and listen. We grabbed ourselves a 65" Sony for Christmas that were enjoying hugely. Great for 4K movies and we cant wait for expanded 4K broadcast (especially football) to become more available. I'll find room elsewhere in the house for the Klipsch set-up if and/or when the time comes so I'm not too concerned.     

• Like 1

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, 37scoop said:

Great set-up. You obviously made the furniture/stands as needed. Room looks very nice. Must be amazing to settle in, close the drapes and listen. We grabbed ourselves a 65" Sony for Christmas that were enjoying hugely. Great for 4K movies and we cant wait for expanded 4K broadcast (especially football) to become more available. I'll find room elsewhere in the house for the Klipsch set-up if and/or when the time comes so I'm not too concerned.     

Thank you, not sure what furniture/stands your talking about ? The original TV stand I did make and the 4 bass bin speakers L&R, holding up the 402 horn and front Fortes,  Klipsch made the sub.

Yes I love the new Tv, much better than our last one, got a new BR player that does 4K UHD to try it out. 4K football would be cool, I guess like they did with HD  it will slowly switch to 4 K.