Anonymity vs Privacy vs Security

MyOwn

I've become kind of a nut about privacy/anyonymity/security. I understand that if someone wants something they will get it somehow , so it's not fool proof.

I use a VPN and entware on our home router to encrypt data and remove trackers. I use an open source varaint of Chromium and duck duck go, Proton email. I run an open source custom Android ROM on my phone without any Google apps. No Facebook yadda yadda. 

I usually encourage friends and family to ditch the "convenience" and take back some of their privacy. The people who say they don't care usually don't know how much is tracking is being done and how much is stored. The argument of I have nothing to hide is silly. 

Would you allow all the businesses or people claiming to be in business stare in your home windows because they will be able to better take care of your needs or ....better exploit you. What about letting them open you mail? Only the junk mail, medical bills, is there a limit to what you would allow? Or does one not mind the above example?

People are usually unaware until someone shows them. Google tracks and store your location, errands, route, time and places it on a calendar ...every day. It stores your voice command as well as recordings of errantly enabling those feature.

Go and dig into your Google data and see what's really there. It's accessible although not always easy to locate and delete. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
3 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

I use Facebook to keep up with my kids.  When signing up I put the minimum ammount of info on that was required to let me in and have never posted anything on it.  They keep asking for age, birthday, location, occupation etc.  I just bypass all of it.

They track people like you with drones.

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 10:08 PM, dwilawyer said:
On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 6:32 PM, CECAA850 said:

I use Facebook to keep up with my kids.  When signing up I put the minimum ammount of info on that was required to let me in and have never posted anything on it.  They keep asking for age, birthday, location, occupation etc.  I just bypass all of it.

They track people like you with drones.

:huh: I really don't know what to say except the above doesn't seem so humorous given what is actually in the News today: 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/facebook-says-cambridge-analytica-harvested-data-of-up-to-87-million-users/ar-AAvsXeS?OCID=ansmsnnews11

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 7:23 PM, Steve_S said:
On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 6:58 PM, richieb said:

This Forum is it for me and at times I find it is over the top.

Exactly...

Me too and I love the place but sometimes I find the silence deafening. 

• Like 1

On March 30, 2018 at 3:59 AM, Rivervalleymgb said:

Have you noticed the cameras along the interstate? You are being put into the national facial recognition database. Really pisses me off. Next time you go by a weigh station, look for cameras. Oklahoma is the worse state for this that I have found.

I drive wearing a mask - so far my license plate reveals the car has had 4,375 drivers -- 

this is just catching up with the most of you.

that stuff has been used for some time down here.  Cams on "telephone" poles.  When I go cutting wood, I always see BorderPatrol and tell them,"If you don't see me come out in a couple hours, come find me, there has been a problem".

internet privacy

If you post it ... the whole world knows.

55 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

Cams on "telephone" poles. 

I had a relative stay with me for a while.  I'll just say he's in some branch of law enforcement.  He'd do stake outs while at my house using his lap top and whatever pole cam he wanted.  It's pretty creepy what's out there and available to spy on us.

• Like 2

they use ground sensors, too. They can tell foot traffic from livestock.   You can go for a hike and never be alone...

and the drone.  you can hear it. Sounds like a lawnmower and a mile away. Can't see it. Just know it's there.

Tell ya what I find even scarier than them spying ... the kids, nowadays, think it is OK and voluntarily give it up.  Don't care that their i-phone pics have gps coordinates encoded in them...

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

they use ground sensors, too. They can tell foot traffic from livestock.   You can go for a hike and never be alone...

and the drone.  you can hear it. Sounds like a lawnmower and a mile away. Can't see it. Just know it's there.

Tell ya what I find even scarier than them spying ... the kids, nowadays, think it is OK and voluntarily give it up.  Don't care that their i-phone pics have gps coordinates encoded in them...

That and the new Samsung or Iphone or whatever ads that have the new, "Turn your face into an emoji" or "Use your face as a password" features that most certainly take your facial recognition data and ship it off to God knows where.

On a side note, when we lived in Utah our well ran dry during the summer partly because the NSA datacenter in Bluffdale sucked the water table down to cool the servers.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, WillyBob said:

this is just catching up with the most of you.

that stuff has been used for some time down here.  Cams on "telephone" poles.  When I go cutting wood, I always see BorderPatrol and tell them,"If you don't see me come out in a couple hours, come find me, there has been a problem".

internet privacy

It really irritated me when the Border Patrol put up a check point several years ago between Alamagordo and Las Cruces. There are at least a dozen cameras on the southbound lane. Many more on the northbound. I just quit going to Las Cruces. Still have to go to New Mexico for work, but stay away from anything within 100 miles of the border. 

5 hours ago, WillyBob said:

internet privacy

It goes deeper than that. What the deal with Cambridge Analytica exposed about Facebook is that people's information was being used in a psychological profile knda way and they were being spoon fed things that would manipulate them into action. Of course the same could be said about television, but now with the internet folks are being conditioned and trained to pass on propaganda and without really discussing anything. :blink2: I really think most Facebook users will say they weren't affected but I think the proof is in what was accomplished. 

• Like 2

that "temporary" checkpoint has been there for 30 years..

I have to go thru checkpoints to get out of here. It is a gray area. We are US citizens but suffer guilt by proximity.

you have a surprise... there are BP checkpoints quite a ways north .. VanHorn TX , I-40 Flagstaff for instance

gonna go off for a sec

I was coming back from PuertoPenasco [RockyPoint] Sonora. Went thru the port of entry at Lukeville AZ. I got to the BP checkpoint 25 miles north. No big deal. The BorderPatrol asked where I had been and then asks "Did you come thru the port of entry?"

I'll wrap this

I asked someone in town about that. Was told that we can come across anywhere. Are sposed to check in at the nearest BP ...

5 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

He'd do stake outs while at my house using his lap top and whatever pole cam he wanted. 

Hmmmmm...  When I was in law school, I took Criminal Law II, which really dealt quite a lot in search and seizure.  I remember being taught there was some level of privacy right within one's own curtilage.  

1 hour ago, Zen Traveler said:
6 hours ago, WillyBob said:

internet privacy

It goes deeper than that. What the deal with Cambridge Analytica exposed about Facebook is that people's information was being used in a psychological profile knda way and they were being spoon fed things that would manipulate them into action.

You're getting sleepy.  Very, very sleepy...

hypnosis-black-and-white1.jpg