Anonymity vs Privacy vs Security

MyOwn

5 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

From the link:

Commissioner Elizabeth Denham also announced that prosecutors will file criminal charges against Cambridge Analytica’s parent company, SCL. These preliminary findings come after a four-month investigation into around 30 organizations that was launched shortly after news first broke of the data scandal.

Oops.  Guilty as charged.

So I found this article, which provides more detail.  What a strange law!  It sounds a lot like the Logan Act in the sense that one has to wonder whether it is Unconstitutional for vagueness.  I didn't see any reference to crimes being committed for the way they gathered data.

• 4 months later...

those of us with separate routers and modems...

An 2015 article about cable modems...I have an Arris/Motorola and just today found out I could ping it's address  192.168.100.1 locally...Im on a 10.x.x.x subnet . so I used Firefox and typed in this url http://192.168.100.1...To my surprise my cable modem page popped up....

https://www.computerworld.com/article/2880475/talk-to-your-modem.html

block it

https://www.computerworld.com/article/2887243/using-a-router-to-block-a-modem.html

On 4/7/2018 at 10:02 AM, Zen Traveler said:

Fwiw, I thought Comey made mistakes but didn't think it was conspiratorial and there was at least reasoning behind his various decisions. Again, he had served in Republican administrations and I didn't think he was being overtly biased on Hillary or President Trump. That said, I take you point there will always be some doubt but it's easier to claim 'politics' if the folks are from opposing parties. 

Yes Comey made a big mistake...    FBI  Investigation, they investigate and pass on the findings for others to make the determination as to whether anything criminal happened and to prosecute. It was not his call.

4 hours ago, whatever55 said:

Yes Comey made a big mistake...   

His mistake is old news and now he is a witness in a Special Council investigation. 

FBI  Investigation, they investigate and pass on the findings for others to make the determination as to whether anything criminal happened and to prosecute. It was not his call.

He sure shouldn't have been talking about it in public and now the FBI seems to be uncovering quite a bit of unsavory and illegal dealings that happened in the 2016 election....

Soooooo, how about make your digital footprint as small as yo can...

Understand what being online means...

My bank debit card got whacked this past Thursday, I got a call from the banks fraud alert. $68.56 being charged in New York....

I'm getting issued a new card in 7 to 10 days....

I've decided I'm strictly cash for now on...It will be a change from convenience to actually interacting....

17 minutes ago, MyOwn said:

Understand what being online means...

My bank debit card got whacked this past Thursday, I got a call from the banks fraud alert. $68.56 being charged in New York....

I'm getting issued a new card in 7 to 10 days....

I've decided I'm strictly cash for now on...It will be a change from convenience to actually interacting....

It's not inconvenient. I've got one card with a low limit for online purchases. Had issues with the account one time in almost 40 years. Otherwise it's cash. I did work with a guy around 10 years ago that couldn't buy a coke because he didn't have a dollar. But he had a card.

Keith

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

His mistake is old news and now he is a witness in a Special Council investigation. 

He sure shouldn't have been talking about it in public and now the FBI seems to be uncovering quite a bit of unsavory and illegal dealings that happened in the 2016 election....

Yes,  but it is all in the eye of the beholder......    too bad they did nothing about hillarys email server....   if I did that I would have been fired then Leavenworth not to mention selling uranium rights. Let us not forget the plane load of money to our friends.....

Maybe there is still time for justice.

2 hours ago, whatever55 said:

if I did that I would have been fired then Leavenworth not to mention selling uranium rights. Let us not forget the plane load of money to our friends.....

Just be happy your life hasn't been under as much scrutiny as hers, while the conspiracy theory mentioned above can be  researched and evaluated for those that like fiction...Let's get back on topic with this: 

16 hours ago, MyOwn said:

I agree we should be wary of what we post on the internet and how we use our credit cards, but the issue is should we try and expose what are unacceptable practices and at least curb, if not criminalize stealing of people's personal material? 

1 hour ago, Zen Traveler said:

Just be happy your life hasn't been under as much scrutiny as hers, while the conspiracy theory mentioned above can be  researched and evaluated for those that like fiction...Let's get back on topic with this: 

I agree we should be wary of what we post on the internet and how we use our credit cards, but the issue is should we try and expose what are unacceptable practices and at least curb, if not criminalize stealing of people's personal material? 

I agree we should get back on topic.... but breaking the law is breaking the law    nobody is above the law and ignorance is no excuse  

All of these free apps come with a price. You sign up and they get your information to sell

I don't have a debit card, and I seldom use cash.  I have one credit card.  I charge everything - even items under $1.  I pay it in full every month.  Let the credit card company pay me cash back and accept the risk of identity theft.  Works for me.  Plus, counting change sucks.  Swiping is fast!!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

I don't have a debit card, and I seldom use cash.  I have one credit card.  I charge everything - even items under $1.  I pay it in full every month.  Let the credit card company pay me cash back and accept the risk of identity theft.  Works for me.  Plus, counting change sucks.  Swiping is fast!!!

Agree.... with the exception if I can get a discount for cash  a buck is a buck better in my pocket.  My cards are monitored through an OPM service because of a data breach... so far they are pretty good.

I had to sign up twice to this forum and my wife once...  all 3 times after the sign up we started getting spam emails....... your data is never safe

21 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Plus, counting change sucks.  Swiping is fast!!!

Ha! This is the year I stop hoarding coins and searching for rare ones because they really don't seem to be gaining ground on being worth anything more than face value and to some they are a nuisance. I used to cash them in each year for a vacation fund but found even then it didn't add up to much....These times they are achangin', even in regards to change. ;)

Btw, good to see you aren't having to count your pennies Jeff and hope all is well, comrade. 

13 minutes ago, whatever55 said:

All of these free apps come with a price. You sign up and they get your information to sell

Yep, but I'm not sure many people care, sadly.....I can only imagine how kooky it's gonna get. I'm old school but been on the internet almost since it began. I've never had an issue, but insurance companies, home depot, banks, credit ratings companies etc.....they have. Common sense is a usual the key. I don't even let my wife use my pc/chromebook. I use duck duck and vpn.

When did everything that's crazy become so popular? Crying online to the world? Telling everyone your biz ? Saying it's ok to see everything I've ever done or will do ? The cops ,media, marketing etc...must think they are in heaven with all this info..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fish said:
25 minutes ago, whatever55 said:

Yep, but I'm not sure many people care, sadly.....I can only imagine how kooky it's gonna get.

I think we are there and the pendulum is going to swing the other way. No, there will be malicious apps, websites, and internet fishing crap, but we can't throw the baby out with the bathwater--Some apps. websites and social media enhances my life as I'm sure it does most posting here.

1 minute ago, Fish said:

I'm old school but been on the internet almost since it began. I've never had an issue, but insurance companies, home depot, banks, credit ratings companies etc.....they have. Common sense is a usual the key.

EXACTLY! 

1 minute ago, Fish said:

I don't even let my wife use my pc/chromebook. I use duck duck and vpn.

Oops. Can't go there because my wife may read my posts. :) 

1 minute ago, Fish said:

When did everything that's crazy become so popular? Crying online to the world? Telling everyone your biz ? Saying it's ok to see everything I've ever done or will do ? The cops ,media, marketing etc...must think they are in heaven with all this info..

I'll tell ya what gets me--There can be an argument that Facebook has been more globally Historically significant than anything so far invented in the 21st century and yet Americans use it for such superficial reasons...Not sayin' it's all bad because I like keeping up with people but the idiotic memes sometimes gets annoying and what I post usually brings up obvious propaganda from the sites to which I've linked.  

18 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

Not sayin' it's all bad because I like keeping up with people

I joined when it first went online. I thought this is gonna be great. I found old friends from childhood in other states. So nice to know what became of them and neighbors. One guys mom still lived in the same house 40 years later. It wasn't long till I decided the world has too many issues for me to witness.....I do go on and wish my wife Happy Anniversary or birthday. Otherwise I don't venture there.

My wife has a pretty good understanding of internet insecurity. She likes the idea that if anything gets hacked she's not involved. She uses her tablet to yack and check email, no biz.

This thread also made me think of some great youtube videos where guys with the time and inclination hack telephone scammers 

1 hour ago, Zen Traveler said:

There can be an argument that Facebook has been more globally Historically significant than anything so far invented in the 21st century

And Hitler is arguably the most historically significant figure in 20th century history (yeah I went there).  The point is that both are evil.

40 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

And Hitler is arguably the most historically significant figure in 20th century history (yeah I went there). 

Equating Hitler with Facebook is like Cosby with pudding although the latter 3 do have their redeeming qualities. 

40 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

The point is that both are evil.

I don't believe in Evil but do think there are folks that deserve the strongest negative language possible. Hitler being one of them is something we can agree upon.