Anonymity vs Privacy vs Security

MyOwn

40 minutes ago, Steve_S said:

tl; dr, but I got to this point, which seems to be a recurrent theme throughout many writings on internet security:

Just this past March, the Senate passed a bill allowing ISPs to track, gather, and sell whatever information a user sends through their wires. What’s perhaps worse is that they can now do this without asking permission.

Whenever did industry require permission to track you in any way it possibly could?  This was all lawful even before the internet.  It's just now, we interact in different ways, which allow them to gather information more efficiently, as opposed to less efficiently or even not at all.

I switched from Outlook to Google for all my mail, contacts, etc. about a year ago or so.  Google tells me explicitly it tracks everywhere I go.  It asks me to be a contributor of reviews for all kinds of places I've been.  It knows when I go to certain restaurants and asks me to review.  

I think it's brilliant!  It democratizes the consumer watchdog process.  Who should be afraid?  The BBB, for one.  Direct, mostly-unfiltered customer reviews are far more reliable than "stars" assigned by an outfit which makes its living charging membership fees to the service-provider.

Google often asks me if I want to review places I haven't been - like the Sushi restaurant next to the grocery store I was shopping at.  I just say, "I wasn't there."   I suppose it learns to be more precise by that answer, but maybe not...

There are folks that could not care any less to understanding how the digital age works...I'm not one of them...I want to know because I believe in... My Life, Not Yours to dissect and figure out.

This said, for folks that are curious...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Hey, Steve.  I just noticed your signature and went to the site.  Are you affiliated?

Not at all, Just my favorite search engine...I do work in the field and I'm concerned about online security.

Mozilla uses it as the default search engine on all it's browsers, because it does not track you.

I'm still a big fan of Mozilla and use their SeaMonkey browser.

Now granted that can cause some extra work on your part cause it doesn't remember just how much searching I do involving  various bands, groups and musicians, not to mention other stereo stuff.

Money is evil...

He can do almost everything that Google or Bing can't because it could damage their business models, and if users figure out that they like the DuckDuckGo way better, Weinberg could damage the big boys without even really trying. It's asymmetrical digital warfare, and his backers at Union Square Ventures say Google is vulnerable."[8]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DuckDuckGo

Read this earlier this week.  Bear with it and it has some very interesting things to ponder about regaining control of personal information through use of block chain.

Link

Have been slowly trying to work my way out.  Mozilla for the past five years.  DuckDuckGo for the past couple of years.  New email account at Proton.

• Like 1

Long term transplant, originally from Oshawa. Had relations here and would come for summer jobs back when I was a student. Moved here in 82. Moved south for a decade and returned in 05. Will be here until I retire, then back to the south.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Pretty good thread at AudioCircle "Done With Facebook" Any thoughts on this?

Me..... I Joined Facebook years ago and within the matter of 3 days after joining I realized My Life and Thoughts are for me and my closest family and friends...

I dumped Facebook years ago,...

I never joined Twitter and the other stuff that is out there...Except "Google gmail"...

The folks I work for use the business version of gmail, I wish they hadn't done this....

I also have a personal gmail account that I'm moving forward to stop using and eventually deleting.

I use Facebook to keep up with my kids.  When signing up I put the minimum ammount of info on that was required to let me in and have never posted anything on it.  They keep asking for age, birthday, location, occupation etc.  I just bypass all of it.

• Like 2

Wife signed me up to post pics and video of a fireworks show. I said 'you did what'? I was in and out like a ship in the night. No FB, no Twitter, Snap, etc. etc. etc. With the numerous ways of tracing me, us, I don't need to voluntarily add to it. This Forum is it for me and at times I find it is over the top. Through no fault of mine, of course. 

• Like 1