Anonymity vs Privacy vs Security

MyOwn

On 4/5/2018 at 11:31 AM, CECAA850 said:

I had a relative stay with me for a while.  I'll just say he's in some branch of law enforcement.  He'd do stake outs while at my house using his lap top and whatever pole cam he wanted.  It's pretty creepy what's out there and available to spy on us.

Yes, law enforcement put up and take down "Physically" Pole cams all the time. They also use Facebook to watch individuals....How? you ask??? Easy, a friend of a friend of a friend ...

On 4/5/2018 at 12:05 PM, WillyBob said:

the kids, nowadays, think it is OK and voluntarily give it up.  Don't care that their i-phone pics have gps coordinates encoded in them

I think this starts with the parent learning and caring about privacy and passing it on to their children.

54 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:
2 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

IOW, we get who we deserve and I contend with discussion and debate we can get better.

You are in the tiny minority.  Most people are just voting for who they want to worship - an "image" of sorts.  It's efficient, entertaining and requires less work than actually understanding the workings of government.

Jeez, Jeff.  It seems you gave me a compliment and then reason to be discouraged.  :wacko:

5 minutes ago, Steve_S said:
On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 12:05 PM, WillyBob said:

the kids, nowadays, think it is OK and voluntarily give it up.  Don't care that their i-phone pics have gps coordinates encoded in them

I think this starts with the parent learning and caring about privacy and passing it on to their children.

I feel the need once again to caution that most adults get their news from Facebook and most  parents are only giving lip service to "learning or caring about privacy," and only slightly understand it themselves....Gotta say, excluding the Facebook analogy I am still on the learning curve myself.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

I feel the need once again to caution that most adults get their news from Facebook and most  parents are only giving lip service to "learning or caring about privacy," and only slightly understand it themselves....Gotta say, excluding the Facebook analogy I am still on the learning curve myself.

I have to agree,  Quote from the below news article...

"Yeah, so if you ever need [information] about anyone at Harvard, just ask," Zuckerberg said to his friend. He added, "I have 4,000 emails, pictures, addresses, [and] SNS." The friend sounds surprised, and asks, "What? How'd you manage that one?" Zuckerberg replied, "People just submitted it. I don't know why. They trust me. Dumb f***s."

https://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/what-mark-zuckerberg-said-years-ago-about-facebook-could-haunt-him-amid-cambridge

Edited to add this

https://www.businessinsider.com/well-these-new-zuckerberg-ims-wont-help-facebooks-privacy-problems-2010-5

• Like 1

On 4/6/2018 at 11:21 AM, Zen Traveler said:

understand being cynical but you appear not to trust anyone in regard to their opinion . :unsure: Insofar as forming an opinion based on your own speculation--Dude!

On 4/6/2018 at 11:21 AM, Zen Traveler said:

Have a great weekend and fwiw, I don't engage in discussions just to debate. There are things I greatly care about and feel my concerns are universal and caution folks not to get caught up in "talking heads" rhetoric, as well as online memes because that is where brainwashing occurs and IS part of the problem. That makes this thread a good starting point for examining the situation of Internet Security and that not all of the danger has been exposed and we are living in a critical time in combating it, regardless of your political persuasion.  

1 hour ago, Zen Traveler said:

There's a reason you are on the learning curve.  It's amazing how much stuff can be tracked on you and the methods they use to track, sort and analyze it.  You can only think, "Wow!," followed by concern of how it might be used against you.  When it comes right down to it, they just want to know enough to sell something to you.  They don't think you're a special snowflake, and your delusion of living in a "Walter Mitty world" isn't going to change that.  You're just an entity with dollars that they want to get from you.  Quite boring, actually.  And if you want to live off the grid in a bunker with MRE's, go for it.  I kind of like living in the Age of Information.  It's very convenient.

47 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

I kind of like living in the Age of Information.  It's very convenient.

Want to have some fun??? I use Firefox for my browser, Firefox fans install NoScript, don't make an changes to it until you understand how it works...

Why does this pop up in NoScript when going here https://community.klipsch.com/

google-analytics.com

and this

gstatic.com

1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

I totally respect the opinion of others and really do like to hear them; but, i’m much more cautious in who I will let influence me. Frankly, I’ve never communicated with anyone on this forum on that deep of a level. 

Believe me. I am cautious as well and only those that seem to know what they are talking about influence me. Otoh, I have had many deep conversations on important subjects in this forum. Like I said, it surprises me that friends I have recently been re-acquainted on facebook don't comment much on political topics I start--Sad.

I think i’ll stay away from that place -- it seems to have a strange power over people, and i think this recent chaos is just the tip of the iceberg.

I agree and the point folks seem to miss well over a year ago is how much CRAP was being pushed overt the internet tubes,  just because they figured out how susceptible a free society is to propaganda. 

Funny, my brother was telling me one day that a co-worker was late for work. Somebody said that the guy had just posted on Facebook that he couldn’t find his socks. My brother is wondering “why are you posting on Facebook instead of looking for a pair of socks?” 

Facebook would be just as addicting to me as the old BS Forum if anyone talked about anything important. Some do and keeping up with old friends and talking about Travel and Dead Sea Scrolls is fun but for the most part I have yet to engage in a prolonged important discussion on there.

59 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

When it comes right down to it, they just want to know enough to sell something to you.  They don't think you're a special snowflake, and your delusion of living in a "Walter Mitty world" isn't going to change that.  You're just an entity with dollars that they want to get from you. You

You are correct to a point but unfortunately your pov is already somewhat antiquated. If you study the subject you will find that Cambridge Analytica, WikiLeaks, and the Russians weaponized propaganda and the only people in it for the money was Facebook, Twiiter and the other social media platforms.

Quite boring, actually.  And if you want to live off the grid in a bunker with MRE's, go for it.    I kind of like living in the Age of Information.  It's very convenient.

What? :huh: I never lobbied to live off the grid and have continuously pointed out the benefits of living in the Information Age....What seems to be "convenient" is when folks leave their intellect at the door and delve into hyperbole or rants. 

5 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

How sad.

I agree and really didn't understand what that meant until I joined Facebook. It appears non-stop memes is the norm and because I post links to Rightwing websites I am starting to have them come up on my news feed as if I may be interested.

2 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

don't consider 40% most though.

No, but it appears Facebook is the number one place where people get 'news' if you read the study. 

1 hour ago, Steve_S said:

Want to have some fun??? I use Firefox for my browser, Firefox fans install NoScript, don't make an changes to it until you understand how it works...

Why does this pop up in NoScript when going here https://community.klipsch.com/

google-analytics.com

and this

gstatic.com

I have no clue what you are talking about.