DSP options for your Pro Klipsch Audio

Turbox

Turbox glad you posted this as I’m in a similar scenario. I have kpt-904’s but recently purchased the 402/510 combo. So I’m going to go active and either use the 904 LF with the 402 or with the 402/510. I have a couple of pro amps now (QSC 1804 and Crown K2) and don’t really want to buy all new amps. So I think I’m going to go with xilica 4080, as this product seems to be highly recommended by Chris and others with similar setups. Now I have heard @totalcomfortand @kharmondds Jubs with the crown xti ‘s and both sound fantastic!

I got my popcorn ready watching this thread closely. 

P.S. You have some outstanding gear that 1802 is a beast.

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, rockhound said:

P.S. You have some outstanding gear that 1802 is a beast.

It really is, in Kharmondds= kevin's mancave he has jubes with a 1802 between them, on top of the sub mounted on the wall is a 70" LCD. We will be listening to music back there and he will really crank it up and the center of the Tv get's distorted from the bass, I have never seen that happen before. The bass and overall sound those 3 speakers put out is shocking in a (just a guess) 25'x 25' room.  And not just loud, it's clean and tight sounding, if not no one would want it loud.

I have to say the 1502 is right there with the 1802, amazing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2018 at 3:19 AM, Turbox said:

I've just realized that Xilica is very close to me.

Late to this thread but I was gonna say the same thing. And Kent is very knowledgeable and easy going. Just got my 4080 and I've been on the phone with him a couple times already. He even responded to an email last night and it was like 9PM Toronto time.

@Turbox

Oh no, decent klipsch gear is very hard to come by here, its easier south of the border. I will likely have to store them for a bit until my other room(which I am planning) is done.

I'm likely going to have to store my new gear as well for quite some time before I can get it set up(walls need to come down). Its unfortunate or fortunate which ever way you look at it. I've been able to free up the cash, but don't have the space quite yet. I wouldn't want to delay getting the gear. When it comes to new gear, patience isn't a strong point, much like a kid who cant stop thinking about it.

On 2/2/2018 at 3:00 PM, mark1101 said:

+1 on the Xilica.  This is an excellent processor.  Another thing I found out is that it is also home audio friendly.  I drive mine with a NOSValves NBS tube preamp.  I can't say enough about this point.

So @mark1101  or anyone else  , Can you use this without a line level shifter ? I currently have to use one to go from a consumer AVR to pro Amps .

I use balanced connections on the Pre/Pro and on the amplifiers--except for the First Watt F3 driving the TADs on the Jubs. 

It turns out that the relative gain using a balanced Crown D-75A is the same as the First Watt F3 using XLR-RCA cable (by chance alone)...verified using REW and a calibrated microphone to check relative levels.

I found this out when I sent my F3 back to Nelson Pass for repair: there is one FET on each channel that gets really warm and the solder connections eventually make intermittent contact. I now flip the F3 over, apply a big soldering iron to the connectors for a couple of seconds, then put everything back together again.  Voila!  Works again.  I've got a hand full of FETs that NP included as spares. 

P.S. the F3 is on probably 15 hours/day, and over 4 years, accumulates a lot of hours.  I'm still not giving up my F3, however...

Chris

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, babadono said:

@MetropolisLakeOutfitters these work with home gear correct?

They work fine, you just need adapters.  Worked fine on mine even with the amp gain only 1/4 of the way up, I just bumped up the output on the DSP.  We don't listen to stuff loud enough where it mattered.  If you bump up the gain there's zero problems.  I will say that all XLR's is much cleaner though, having several of those adapters is a little ghetto but it works.  

• Thanks 1

@Gnote so it sounds like the Xilica will do your level shifting for you. Nothing will be needed between your AVR and its inputs. I am assuming your AVR has pre outs on RCA type connectors. You will then need something to go from RCA to XLR. My humble suggestion is to use adapter cables from Monoprice. They are wired the proper way to keep the unbalanced AVR outputs signal ground/chassis ground current only going into the chassis of the Xilica.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=115&cp_id=11509&cs_id=1150902&p_id=4777&seq=1&format=2

I'm sure there are probably other manufacturers who make similar and properly wired cables but Monoprice I know from personal experience are correct(and they're inexpensive:))

If I have time this afternoon I will put my Xilica on the bench and inject unbalanced signals at consumer reference levels and see (measure) what it does. And report back.

Just now, babadono said:

@Gnote so it sounds like the Xilica will do your level shifting for you. Nothing will be needed between your AVR and its inputs. I am assuming your AVR has pre outs on RCA type connectors. You will then need something to go from RCA to XLR. My humble suggestion is to use adapter cables from Monoprice. They are wired the proper way to keep the unbalanced AVR outputs signal ground/chassis ground current only going into the chassis of the Xilica.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=115&cp_id=11509&cs_id=1150902&p_id=4777&seq=1&format=2

I'm sure there are probably other manufacturers who make similar and properly wired cables but Monoprice I know from personal experience are correct(and they're inexpensive:))

If I have time this afternoon I will put my Xilica on the bench and inject unbalanced signals at consumer reference levels and see (measure) what it does. And report back.

Thank you for all your help :D No Rush on testing  . It will be a while before I can go this direction but the passive MCM XO's have to be getting long in the tooth :o and I think going this direction would be a wiser choice than having them rebuilt especially considering the added cost of a level shifter  and the versatility I would gain !