DSP options for your Pro Klipsch Audio

Turbox

On 3/7/2018 at 10:08 AM, JustAuBy said:

I use the Radian 760BePB 2" compression driver on my 402s.  

On 3/7/2018 at 10:55 AM, mark1101 said:

How do you like those Radians?  Any other driver you have compared them to?

On 3/9/2018 at 4:19 AM, Schu said:

Also in for reviews of alternative Beryllium drivers...

5 hours ago, mark1101 said:

I guess we may never know.

@JustAuBy I think this was directed at you.

I suppose the Klipsch forum does not email me anymore when my posts are quoted.  Sorry didn't know you had follow ups.  I love my Radians and will not be replacing them with anything.  They are mated to a K-402 horn and crossed at 600hz.  I have owned the TAD 4002 which was mated to the Dave Harris Eliptrac horn.  I didn't really like the TAD as it seemed dry and brittle to me.  My uncle owns a pair of JBL 2441s aluminum diaphragms on a custom horn that I also like a lot but they fall off above 10-12k.  The beryllium drivers will play down to 500hz if you want (don't use a lot of power tho) and also all the shimmery highs.  The horn is very important though as 2" compression drivers tend to beam on the highs after a certain point.  I fortunately don't have this issue.  I am not an engineer and do not have sweeps to back up my listening impressions.  Just a speaker freaker who has heard a lot of hardware to pick and chose what I liked best.  

If I had to but a descriptor on the Radians it would be "Effortless Liquidness".  I run all digital media and my chain is structured to take advantage of this.  I use Dirac on my pc with a few adjustments to the subs.  Chain looks something like this:

HF: Atma-Sphere S-30 OTL Amp -> Radian  760Be/K-402 (600hz - 20khz)

/

PC/Dirac -> Schiit Yggy -> Bride of Zen balanced pre -> Marchand XM44 Balanced XO's  

\

LF: Hypex Ncore NC400's -> KPT-904-LF (60hz-600hz)

Subs below 60hz eq'd through the amplifier seperate from the pc/dirac

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, JustAuBy said:

If I had to but a descriptor on the Radians it would be "Effortless Liquidness".  I run all digital media and my chain is structured to take advantage of this.  I use Dirac on my pc with a few adjustments to the subs.  Chain looks something like this:

HF: Atma-Sphere S-30 OTL Amp -> Radian  760Be/K-402 (600hz - 20khz)

/

PC/Dirac -> Schiit Yggy -> Bride of Zen balanced pre -> Marchand XM44 Balanced XO's  

\

LF: Hypex Ncore NC400's -> KPT-904-LF (60hz-600hz)

Subs below 60hz eq'd through the amplifier seperate from the pc/dirac

Awesome setup.  Non digital active xo  and tubes on top.  Outstanding.

The Marchand xo was really the key to what i wanted to do.  I wanted the Schiit Yggy dac as it's an R2R and sounds amazing.  Didn't want to use any active digital dsp downstream as it would render the nice DAC upstream useless.  So EQ had to happen on the PC which i was fine with.  It turned out to be a great setup.  Finally found my final form lol.  May upgrade the subs later but for now everything is great.

I bought the S-30 Atma-spheres used, they are the Mk II model not the updated versions.  Cost me $1400, which was comparable to some of the Transcendent Sound options.  I went with the Atma-Spheres because I had balanced connections all the way through and didn't want to change.  Probably didn't matter in the end but I'm a little OCD on weird stuff like that.  

Previously i used the hypex on a passive xo for the low and highs.  They handle themselves very well and crystal clear.  I like what the OTL's do to the mid range for 2ch music however.  When i do my theater i will have the HF as Ncores, their dynamics are amazing and super silent.  Zero background noise

On 3/16/2018 at 6:53 AM, JustAuBy said:

The Marchand xo was really the key to what i wanted to do.  I wanted the Schiit Yggy dac as it's an R2R and sounds amazing.  Didn't want to use any active digital dsp downstream as it would render the nice DAC upstream useless.  So EQ had to happen on the PC which i was fine with.  It turned out to be a great setup.  Finally found my final form lol.  May upgrade the subs later but for now everything is great.

I thought the Yggo used a Analog Devices set of chips not an "R2R" resistor config?

On 3/16/2018 at 8:05 AM, JustAuBy said:

I have owned the TAD 4002 which was mated to the Dave Harris Eliptrac horn.  I didn't really like the TAD as it seemed dry and brittle to me.

Did you measure the output using something like REW, etc.?  How flat was the output EQed vs. frequency?

On 3/16/2018 at 8:53 AM, JustAuBy said:

So EQ had to happen on the PC which i was fine with.

What did you use for an EQ application in the PC, if I might ask? 

23 hours ago, Chris A said:

Did you measure the output using something like REW, etc.?  How flat was the output EQed vs. frequency?

What did you use for an EQ application in the PC, if I might ask? 

I use Dirac for everything except the subs.  I then REW the subs separate and input EQ into the Inuke dsp software.

On 19/1/2018 at 4:47 PM, CECAA850 said:

You can't put quiet ones in?  I swapped out all my QSC fans and they're virtually inaudible.

What fans do you use as replacements?

We use 2 QSC DCA series amps and are looking for replacement fans which are a bit more quiet.

9 minutes ago, Wim M said:

What fans do you use as replacements?

We use 2 QSC DCA series amps and are looking for replacement fans which are a bit more quiet.

Been a while but I think it was a Panaflow.  Just look for a 24v fan with a low dB rating.  Also be sure it's an 80mm fan and you orient it correctly.  Here's a small list but there are others.

Delta AUB0824L
* Delta AFB0824L
* Panaflo (Panasonic) FBA08A24L
* Papst TYP8414L
* SanyoDenki 109RO824H402

• Like 1