KPT-904

2deafears

I am running a pair of KPT-904M with Marantz AV8802 pre-amp and MM8077U amp. The speakers sounded really thin, almost like an in-wall speaker. I am either doing something wrong or the amp is way under power. Love to hear the members feedback.

Edited by 2deafears
  • Like 1

My first reaction was I wanted to drop to my knee and cry. My karaoke speakers, Yamaha DXR12, have a lot more kick and sound thicker. This cannot be. I am not sure where to start other than a bigger amp. Perhaps the Crown XLS2002? I hate to drop more shiny pennies without knowing if it will actually solve the problem. To the KPT-904M owners, what are you using for amp(s)?

If, as you say, it sounds thin then something is wrong.

Before everyone piles on with the usual "you need a tube amp" or "you need fancy capacitors" or " speaker wire" etc, please double check everything regarding hook up, polarity etc. If it still sounds bad try repositioning the speakers. After that borrow a friend's amplifier (does not need to be fancy) and try that. 

Good luck,

-Tom

• Like 1

On 1/19/2018 at 7:34 PM, HPower said:

I bet Emile will chime in her

OK ... bit late :(  Got my 904's a couple of weeks ago. Have them in my "TV room," replacing a set of Cornwall's. Hooked up separately from my AV system ... powered by a Marantz 2252B (with a decent NAD CD player).  Just AWESOME! Yes, "only 52W/ch) but at 1/4 volume they are giving 90dB's. Sound is louder than the Cornwall's (yes; they are more efficient) but "range" is just unbelievable ... bass is incredibly tight (2x 15" woofers) and mid/hi range is incredible ( 3" horn with 2" throat ). Have many Klipsch speakers (and tested a bunch more), but these "pro-series" cannot be beat (and yes ... there are bigger/better ones than the 904's). If you are not getting "awesound sound" then something else is wrong :( 

On 1/19/2018 at 8:28 PM, jjptkd said:

RECOMMENDED MINIMUM AMPLIFIER POWER TRANSDUCER AMPLIFIER POWER RATING MONO-AMP 800W into 4 ohms LF (BI-AMP) 800W into 4 ohms HF (BI-AMP) 100W into 8 ohms

Yes; probably for a full 200 seat theater. IMHO a 10W/ch tube amp will be more than sufficient in a "home setting." Next week I'll try my VTA ST70 tube amp with them :) 

On 1/20/2018 at 12:24 PM, Speakmeister said:

the problem is the HF is too hot by 6dB

Per specs, yes. :) But really did not bother me ... but I "love" horns :) I put the horns in a box with a grille and that probably reduced it by 3dB's ... working on grilles for the woofer boxes and don't think there will be a dB drop on those :)

Cheers, Emile

On 1/20/2018 at 11:24 AM, Speakmeister said:

Unless you've handled this in some other way, the problem is the HF is too hot by 6dB or so. You need to get and L-Pad on the feed to the driver and adjust to taste. Remember these were made for behind screen use and need some work to get right in the home.

Something else is up, Steven / scrappydue has these in his house and they are plenty fine even with a Denon AVR.  This shouldn't be necessary.  

I had a chance to connect some old amps to the speakers last night; JBL6290 to L&R and JBL6260 in bridge mode to C. They made a significant improvement compared to Marantz 8077. Based on everything I have heard here Marantz 8077 should do just fine. With Marantz 8077 I can turn up the volume and the sound gets louder, but very flat and thin. With the JBL amps the volume is down and the sound is much thicker.

With Marantz AV8802A, the front are set to Large. I switched to Small but it didn't make much difference. Rather than mess around with the setup, I will leave everything in place and just switch the AV8802A out for Sunfire Pre/Pro to see if it makes any difference.

I swapped AV8802A with Sunfire, replaced all unbalanced RCA from pre to amps with balanced RCA. Everything came to life. It’s probably something with the AV8802A setup. I appreciate if you guys can tell me your settings like input level, crossovers, large or small, and so on as reference points. Thanks.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
21 minutes ago, Robert Gervais said:

So I read conflicting reports on how to power the 904s.  I have a Denon 7200 AVR that I'll be running a 7.2.4 system with 3 904s for the L/C/R.  I have red concerns about powering the 904s with a small amp but also read no issue because of their efficiency....

Thoughts?  Don't want to burn up my AVR or 904s.

That is hard to answer without much more info.  Room size, eq or not?   SPL preference?   Does the AVR have proper ventilation?   I think with proper ventilation and one of those fancy top mounted fans on top that @Youthman recommends, you will be OK.   Personally, if you are going to keep your AVR, I would get a pro amp for the front two speakers if you are looking to stay at a reasonable budget (for 2 channel music) .   Ideal scenario would be separate amp for all channels and at least using the AVR as the preamp.  If you are happy with the sound, I say stop there, ventilate better and put a fan on top.   I don't think you will "burn up" anything that way as long as you are monitoring your gear and not trying to push things to the limit regularly.