KPT-904

2deafears

1 hour ago, Robert Gervais said:

I have red concerns about powering the 904s with a small amp but also read no issue because of their efficiency....

As mentioned before, I have a pair of 904's which I power with a  Marantz 2252B (52W/ch).  Per Klipsch recommendations (800W/ch) way underpowered.  From experience ... I have had my 904's up to ear-bleeding levels ... no distortion whatsoever ... and never had my amp turned to max :D  And, have had this setup for almost a year now ... no problems :)  (As a side note; there are many audiophiles running Klipschorns with tube amps of only a couple of Watts while specs say 100/400W.)

Cheers, Emile

Add-on ... Friend of mine had a Sansui G-9000 (160W/ch) he wanted to sell ... we hooked it up to the 904's ... not any better; actually preferred my Marantz and did NOT buy it :D 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Emile said:

As mentioned before, I have a pair of 904's which I power with a  Marantz 2252B (52W/ch).  Per Klipsch recommendations (800W/ch) way underpowered.  From experience ... I have had my 904's up to ear-bleeding levels ... no distortion whatsoever ... and never had my amp turned to max :D  And, have had this setup for almost a year now ... no problems :)  (As a side note; there are many audiophiles running Klipschorns with tube amps of only a couple of Watts while specs say 100/400W.)

Cheers, Emile

Add-on ... Friend of mine had a Sansui G-9000 (160W/ch) he wanted to sell ... we hooked it up to the 904's ... not any better; actually preferred my Marantz and did NOT buy it :D 

Am I reading your post incorrectly?  In my experience, Klipsch does NOT "recommend" sending any specific power level to any specific speaker, only stating what the efficiency is of that speaker with (usually) 1 watt @ 1 meter, and what the peak power handling capability of the speaker may be.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

In my experience, Klipsch does NOT "recommend" sending any specific power level to any specific speaker,

See https://f072605def1c9a5ef179-a0bc3fbf1884fc0965506ae2b946e1cd.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/product-specsheets/KPT-904-Data-Sheet-v04.pdf , bottom right for "recommended minimum amplifier power."  Yes; NO CLUE why :D 

16 minutes ago, Emile said:

See https://f072605def1c9a5ef179-a0bc3fbf1884fc0965506ae2b946e1cd.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/product-specsheets/KPT-904-Data-Sheet-v04.pdf , bottom right for "recommended minimum amplifier power."  Yes; NO CLUE why :D 

Because its a pro sound cabinet made for large spaces, you need power to fill up a large space.

Installed in a home you won't need the extra power unless hearing damage is the ultimate goal.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Emile said:

Cheers, Emile

thank you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Westcoastdrums said:

That is hard to answer without much more info.  Room size, eq or not?   SPL preference?   Does the AVR have proper ventilation?   I think with proper ventilation and one of those fancy top mounted fans on top that @Youthman recommends, you will be OK.   Personally, if you are going to keep your AVR, I would get a pro amp for the front two speakers if you are looking to stay at a reasonable budget (for 2 channel music) .   Ideal scenario would be separate amp for all channels and at least using the AVR as the preamp.  If you are happy with the sound, I say stop there, ventilate better and put a fan on top.   I don't think you will "burn up" anything that way as long as you are monitoring your gear and not trying to push things to the limit regularly.   

My HT is about 740 sq ft.  I did purchase a fan unit (AC Infinity S8) to put on top.  I have looked at separate amps and will consider as funds allow.

This is what I ended up with:

Marantz AV8802A (pre-amp)
Marantz MM8077 (LCR & surround amp)
Marantz MM7055 (Atmos amp)
4 Klipsch CDT-5800 (Atmos speakers)
4 Klipsch KPT-8060H (Surround speakers)
3 Klipsch KPT-904M (LCR)
2 SVS PB16 Ultra Subwoofer

The thin sound was caused by AV8802A setup and bad cables.

92923C2C-677D-4962-9757-4D665A310A2D.JPG

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Robert Gervais said:

So I read conflicting reports on how to power the 904s.  I have a Denon 7200 AVR that I'll be running a 7.2.4 system with 3 904s for the L/C/R.  I have red concerns about powering the 904s with a small amp but also read no issue because of their efficiency....

Thoughts?  Don't want to burn up my AVR or 904s.

More power (all things being equal) will mean less effort and in turn better performance. And personally  always been a big separate amp fan. When we talked I mentioned In my experience with the rf-7ii (rc-64ii,rs-62ii) the added amp was really nice upgrade. With a 904 all pro set up, running just the avr for power to be just as good (this is with same avr and power amp as used with 7s set up). 

My opinion is you will never get an all one way or the other here or on any forum (its just that kind of debate). Plus I can tell by talking to you that you yourself is on the fence :). So you will always wonder what if to some extent no matter how many way smarter than me people on here tell you one way or the other. So my best advise is to find a great deal on a used amp live with it for a few months, Then take it out and live with that. You will hear it right away if you lived with it for a few months if somethings missing or everything as was. Then you can sell the amp. Or keep the amp if your system performance seems better with it. Or even sell the amp and buy a better amp that you might want more to keep long term. Its a win win and most importantly you will never wonder what if however it turns out. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2018 at 6:02 PM, 2deafears said:

This is what I ended up with:

Marantz AV8802A (pre-amp)
Marantz MM8077 (LCR & surround amp)
Marantz MM7055 (Atmos amp)
4 Klipsch CDT-5800 (Atmos speakers)
4 Klipsch KPT-8060H (Surround speakers)
3 Klipsch KPT-904M (LCR)
2 SVS PB16 Ultra Subwoofer

92923C2C-677D-4962-9757-4D665A310A2D.JPG

What are the Yamaha speakers?

On 12/24/2018 at 8:41 PM, Oicu812 said:

Glad you found the problem. I have had 9 sets of those bass bins now and anemic is not a word I could ever use describing them. I can take the same wattage that makes a Forte II sound good and switch them over to a set of KPT-456's and the volume increases dramatically. A 200 watt per channel amp is more than enough for me and I rarely even get past half way on volume. Those are life time keeper speakers when you get them set up right.

• Like 1