Looking at a new receiver

Charles M

2 hours ago, charles m said:

Well I did a full turn around and said no to  Pioneer,  Onkyo , and even Anthem .  I went back to Marantz and picked up the New Marantz 7012 ! 

What the hell I haven’t even takin it out of the box yet . I hope I made the right choice but I feel I did ...... well I do respect your  opinions and yes please giv it to me lol 

1E3859B0-663A-409B-BF0E-7E56E5619F43.jpeg

I have the Marantz SR6011.  I think you made an outstanding choice.  You'll never regret buying the best.

Aside:  The only thing wrong with my 6011 is it has more features (like 4 Atmos channels) than I'll ever be able to use.

• Thanks 1

I've only ever had Marantz and Klipsch, so I'm totally biased and with little experience with any other combo.  I have three Marantz AVR's, one in the little HT room with all Klipsch and SVS, one in the master bedroom with Klipsch and a UMAX 15/Inuke3000dsp combo, and the oldest Marantz out in the garage with some crappy Yamaha speakers and a 50 watt sub, works fine for in the garage and when placed out back.  I hope you enjoy your purchase. 

• Thanks 1

Acv02 

so do they sound good on Klipsch? 

I will soon find out I need to get at setting this up . I did had a cheep Onkyo TX NR 747

but it did sound good but not great.

on the othe hands others couldn’t believe the sound . I was kind of pissed this morning that Best Buy , they are selling the Marantz SR-7012 

at their stores here in Canada. Well here in Canada we  consider Best Buy Product are junk!

they are selling them for $2500 plus tax .

not a bad price but the good side I got mind a few hundred Less . That’s why they call me cheep Charlie....lol 

• 2 weeks later...

What kind of Klipsch speakers do you have?  I think you have RF 7s?  Right?  Speakers of that efficiency or similar could get more than enough power from your new receiver. 

AVR manufacturers -- good ones and not so good ones -- have just about given up rating power in what would be the honest, standard, time honored way.  Separate power amps are not so bad that way.  Car audio is hopeless.   "True" ratings are watts per channel with all channels operating, at 8 Ohms, 20 to 20,000 Hz, and at low distortion (< .09%, often quite a bit lower).  In general, as of a few years ago, this would produce about 60% to 80% of the misleading 2 channels operating, wrong impedance, 1K rating.  If that is still true, that would make your receiver between 120 and 160 w.p.c., all channels operating, 8 Ohms, 20 to 20K, which is more than enough to drive speakers of the sensitivity of RF 7s to way beyond movie industry reference level (THX and Audyssey, 105 dB brief peaks through each speaker at the main listening position), in a 3,000 cu ft room. Hopefully your powered subwoofer is also up to the task -- it would need to be capable of 115 dB brief peaks at the MLP

Marantz is a good brand.  My Marantz pre/pro is very good indeed.  The old Marantz equipment that was designed by Saul Marantz was legendary, so they have a reputation to keep up.  They slipped a little in the late '70s, but they're baaaaaack! 

I'd advise enjoying your system for a few weeks, then set it up with the Audyssey XT32 Marantz provides, to correct your room's frequency response and the time domain.  Audyssey improved my HT immensely.  I takes a few hours to set it up right.  Don't forget, Audyssey attempts to provide flat response, not preferred response.  The Harmon people found that most listeners not only prefer some bass boost, but judge bass boosted response as flat!  Almost all Audyssey users feel it is a little bass light, which they fix by turning up the subwoofer a little and using Dynamic EQ for sound levels below reference.  Audyssey can still be very helpful, because turning up the bass on a smooth curve is better than turning up the bass on a kinky one.  Speaking of kinky, I don't particularly like Dynamic EQ (but love the rest of Audyssey, except for Dynamic Volume), so I turn DEQ off, and then the Marantz true tone controls (not the sliders, which are terrible -- PM me if you want to know why) become available, so there is where I turn up the bass.

Given that most manuals are poorly written, and contain some errors, you owe it to your self to read this "Audyssey FAQ Linked Here"

when you get ready to set up Audyssey.  It is written by people who know Audyssey inside out, and is very clear.  Probably 45 minutes reading and thinking time, but worth every minute!

• Like 2

I have 

TWO RF7 II
RC 64 II CENTER 
TWO RP250S REARS
KLIPSCH P-312 SUB 
Klipsch Heresy 
Mosscade Saturn 12 Subwoofer
Klipsch IC-650T ceiling speakers 

I do have Bass and thanks for the info .

the link doesn’t seem to work . Yes there is going to be adjustments , I am here to learn 

so give me the info please. 

• 2 weeks later...

5B82A7DC-8176-4079-8867-B453A350E072.thumb.jpeg.ae78c14a5e2841bb92f2cd687e194cc4.jpegI been working on the sound with the NEW 

Marantz sr 7012 , I am happy with it The sound 

is great . It’s truly sounds like a theater now !

I also know there is better stuff out there but it comes to a time where my ears can’t hear grass

growing ! It’s blows the Onkyo out ! 

The Marantz how i see it works well with Klipsch’s! 

27196C00-643A-4445-965C-5505C8118A55.jpeg

17 minutes ago, charles m said:

5B82A7DC-8176-4079-8867-B453A350E072.thumb.jpeg.ae78c14a5e2841bb92f2cd687e194cc4.jpegI been working on the sound with the NEW 

Marantz sr 7012 , I am happy with it The sound 

is great . It’s truly sounds like a theater now !

I also know there is better stuff out there but it comes to a time where my ears can’t hear grass

growing ! It’s blows the Onkyo out ! 

The Marantz how i see it works well with Klipsch’s! 

27196C00-643A-4445-965C-5505C8118A55.jpeg

I've always been a Marantz fan.  Klipsch and Marantz go well together, in my opinion.  Nice looking setup.  If it were me with that nice piece, I would remove the sticker on the lower right corner, it's an advertising piece.  The in-wall construction is a bonus.  Otherwise, looks like you're good to go.  Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I went through this fun trip down receiver lane just this past month. Narrowed it down between the Yamaha 3070, Marantz 7012, or Denon X6400H. I tried a Yahmaha A770 for 30 days. Not too impressed with the surround capabilities. I have Never owned a Marantz, but have heard good things about the power and video upsacling. I’ve had a Denon for the past 8 years, and was impressed with it. The X6400 is an 11.2 channel to give you a full 7.2.4 without adding any amps. All 4K pass-through and video upscaling. 140W per channel. All new sound formats, and all video formats out of the box. No firmware updates needed. For my needs and price point the X6400H was the choice for me. 

At the higher end price point most receivers have the same qualities. It boils down to what features you want. Even what one you think looks the best. 

Any shared experiences with receivers above $1500 would be great to hear. 

• Like 1

I've been a happy Marantz + Klipsch owner for multiple sets throughout the years.  However, on my most recent set up, my SR-6011 + Forte III's have been making a popping/cracking sound when I stream cable tv.  I will start another thread regarding this so we don't veer off topic.  

FAIA, I've noticed better sound clarity and detail when i added my Rotel RMB-1585 amp.  

Marantz 6011 owner here, one notch down from the flagship models.  It works well with Klipsch, currently driving RF-83 and RC-62 in 3.0 mode.  The Marantz is known to have a smooth sound with Klipsch.

Both Marantz and Denon are top AVR's.  In general the Marantz is considered a little better for music, the Denon for home theater.

I’ve had an old Denon Paired with Klipsch for Home Theater for last 9 years. Sounded great. I’m a fan of their Audessey room correction setup. As I said above once you get up to the flagship receivers the differences are almost bias and preferential. The specs are close. I have heard Marantz has a lil edge on music, and Denon has an edge on Home Theater. 

I’ve looked into all mentioned above, minus the Pioneer/Onkyo. Go with what you plan on using it for. For Home theater I’m a strong advocate for the flagship Denons. You want music, go Marantz. You want last forever, go Yamaha. Keep in mind Yamaha makes dirtbikes and motorcycles too. That’s what shy’d me away from them, that, and I’ve heard Yamaha for hometheater, wasn’t impressed. Best advice is try em all, and pick the one that sounds best to YOU, and fits your budget.