Super Heresy project

mopardave

1 hour ago, jjptkd said:

These are what I used in mine: 

https://www.parts-express.com/erse-super-q-25mh-16-awg-500w-inductor-crossover-coil--266-908

I believe @Deang recommended these in a thread I found here from awhile back.

That is exactly what I just used in my recent build of another pair of Super Heresy, and they sound terrific, along with 2uf and 4uf ClarityCaps.

If Claude doesn't have any of the OEM inductors, I know I do.

58 minutes ago, avguytx said:

I ordered the model right below that one for my Belle Type AA crossovers I hope to build this weekend.  About half the price of the 16awg version but definitely better than the air coil.

https://www.parts-express.com/erse-25mh-18-awg-i-core-inductor-crossover-coil--266-556

The only air core in the AA is the .254mH in the high pass. There is no air core in the low pass -- just an iron core.

1 minute ago, avguytx said:

I thought he'd used an air coil on the low pass. I didn't for mine...only on the high pass. 

You can afford the losses on a high pass. Besides the primary component on a high pass on older Klipsch networks is a single capacitor and no inductor, except the autoformer, which just adds impedance to draw less current, and thus, less power and SPL to match the woofer's lesser output. You can't afford to lose anything in the woofer section.

14 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

MOPARDAVE: The most frustrating aspect of my Super Heresy modification has been the tendency for the Majority of the people thinking about or actually DOING the modification is to change things from the original recipe. Some guys want to try woofers they "happen to have laying around" instead of the K-42.

Different is not the same. In your case,  having an Air Core Choke on a woofer section is NOT common practice for a reason. Klipsch uses Iron Core on All woofer sections in Heritage line because of the lossy nature of Air Core. I know of no manufacturer that uses an air core choke on a Woofer. In fact many use a Toroid on a Subwoofer for the least amount of losses at a high Inductance value.

But you insist on using one in your non Klipsch network, then complain about the thin bass and subsequently assign the blame elsewhere. Then I offer a solution to your problem and you don't think it's important enough to do it right. It's a question of BALANCE, and it's more delicate than you think.

Again, I totally misunderstood.  I did post up some pics of the xo's in different threads and no one mentioned any thing wrong with them for what i was doing and therefore i thought all was good for the project.   Now i know and correct parts are on there way.    I'v also asked several times if the 2.0 hovland caps are any good on the tweet.   I assume yes.   Anyway, all good now and thanks for your help.  

50 minutes ago, mopardave said:

... having an Air Core Choke on a woofer section is NOT common practice for a reason. Klipsch uses Iron Core on All woofer sections in Heritage line because of the lossy nature of Air Core.

You can use an air core, but to match the DCR of a steel laminate or iron core - you would need to go to one wound with 10 gauge wire - and those are pretty expensive - and while not prone to saturation, are sensitive to proximity effects. 

• Like 1

Doing some listening today at low volume (70db) while on the computer.  Sounding very nice, maybe a little more low bass, but mid base is still tight and a touch more pronounced IMO.  I think the tweets could use some help now if anything.  Not as airy as my CW's and they both use the same k77m tweets.   Maybe the placement of the speaker?  Not many options in this little room.   Just an update.

9 minutes ago, mopardave said:

I think the tweets could use some help now if anything.  Not as airy as my CW's and they both use the same k77m tweets. 

I went with the Crites CT-120's and they were a very nice upgrade over the stock tweeters, possibly the best bolt on upgrade I've experienced to date, very nice and full sounding without a hint of brightness.