Jump to content
mopardave

Super Heresy project

Recommended Posts

ClaudeJ1

  • Forum Ultra Veteran
  •  
  • ClaudeJ1
  • Heritage Members
  •  755
  • 5006 posts
  • Location: Detroit Area
  On 7/1/2014 at 1:48 PM, ClaudeJ1 said:

 

  On 7/1/2014 at 1:32 PM, jjptkd said:
Where did you get those tweeters? Are they 8ohm? How much were they? Thanks.

 

ALK Engineering. http://www.alkeng.com/ go to PWK upgrades horns, etc. and go to the bottom. I do no price other people's products, so ask him. Tell him Claude sent you.

 

Get the ones with the DE-10 driver. Also, you can find K55V drivers and K-700 horns on Ebay. You will have to cut about 3/4" off the tweeter corners to clear the mounting screws on the K-700 mid horn to fit the tweeter in. Other than the port hole, there is not other cabinet mod required as everything just drops in. I recommend 8 screws for the woofer instead of just 4, since the magnet is so heavy on a K-42.

 

I'm suggesting the DE-10 since it's much cheaper than the DE-120 and is perfect for a super heresy. Having listened to both, they each sound good and it's personal preference.

 

JimJimbo is now the proud owner of this pair of speakers (I have modified others for my HT surrounds in the same way). He was blown away when he heard them at my house in Indy and I gave him a good deal.

 

So if you have any questions about how they sound, you may want to PM him about it as I'm on to other projects not involving Klipsch mods.

 

PEACE and good listening to all.

Like

 

<p>2.2/6.2=Front L&R, Danley SH-50 horns powered by Hypex NC400 MonoBlocs, CenterFront, SurroundR, SurroundL and CenterRear Sound Physics Labs Unity Summation Apeture horns/TD-1 Powered by Yamaha Pro Natural Sound Class AB amps. Yamaha Pre/Pro CX-A5000. One OThorn and 1 Danley TH-50 Sub Center Front/Center Rear driven by a Crown K2.
Oppo 103 for CD 2.1, HDMI out for 6.1 DVD/Blue Ray. YPAO for all listening.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Must say, the Supers are coming around nicely.  Listened to them at low and mid volume most of the day and i'm beginning to really like the improvements.   Oh, and to my ear they do seem to go a bit lower and the mid base is stronger as well.  I think they sound better off axis of my ear.  I have them on the floor in opposite corners.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2018 at 9:46 PM, mopardave said:

Must say, the Supers are coming around nicely.  Listened to them at low and mid volume most of the day and i'm beginning to really like the improvements.   Oh, and to my ear they do seem to go a bit lower and the mid base is stronger as well.  I think they sound better off axis of my ear.  I have them on the floor in opposite corners.

Nice to see you are appreciating the improvement in detail. It was an exemplary commitment  on your part to get the more correct components where it counted. In the future, you might want copy me (or others who have the answer) directly in a PM in addition to just posting on the forum and hoping the right people will see it in time before you commit to buying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2018 at 9:46 PM, mopardave said:

Must say, the Supers are coming around nicely.  Listened to them at low and mid volume most of the day and i'm beginning to really like the improvements.   Oh, and to my ear they do seem to go a bit lower and the mid base is stronger as well.  I think they sound better off axis of my ear.  I have them on the floor in opposite corners.

You will notice even more improvement if you get them up off the floor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right now i think they sound better on the floor with my ears off axis of the horns.   I may have to move the mid tap and change out a cap as well.   If that makes them easier on my ears and cleans up the mid then i will find some stands for them.   I may take a trip to the furniture store saturday and see whats available.   thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, mopardave said:

Right now i think they sound better on the floor with my ears off axis of the horns.   I may have to move the mid tap and change out a cap as well.   If that makes them easier on my ears and cleans up the mid then i will find some stands for them.   I may take a trip to the furniture store saturday and see whats available.   thanks

I found my speaker stands, with drawers, at Salvation Army for $10 each. Piano black in 8/10 shape with real high quality construction with metal slides/bearings on each of 4 drawers. Gret for cord storage, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I found my speaker stands, with drawers, at Salvation Army for $10 each. Piano black in 8/10 shape with real high quality construction with metal slides/bearings on each of 4 drawers. Gret for cord storage, etc.

Thats a good score for sure.   I'm listening to the Supers now at a avg 90db and can't make up my mind if i want to lower the tap on the mid yet.  Some music sounds real clear and some sounds just like too much mid range as long as i listen off axis.   On axis i would deffinitly lower the tap from 3 to 2.    Might give it a try just to see.   Even off axis at 90db  they do start to wear on my ears after an hour or so.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a friend whose Cornwalls are lower on the tap because of his extreme sensitivity to midrange, plus he like a "fat bass." You should try it. It might be just right for your ears.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I have a friend whose Cornwalls are lower on the tap because of his extreme sensitivity to midrange, plus he like a "fat bass." You should try it. It might be just right for your ears.

Claude, just finished moving mid to tap 2 from 3 and switched the 3.9 input cap for a 2.0 as you suggested.  Only listened to a couple songs off an America CD and all i can say WOW!  What an improvement.  The Supers are much cleaner now and i can hear more bass i think.    Lots of listening to do to be sure, but man, these Heresys are bad *** and i think i just want to stay up all night listening, just as i used to with my CW's.   You were spot on with that tweak.   Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mopardave said:

Claude, just finished moving mid to tap 2 from 3 and switched the 3.9 input cap for a 2.0 as you suggested.  Only listened to a couple songs off an America CD and all i can say WOW!  What an improvement.  The Supers are much cleaner now and i can hear more bass i think.    Lots of listening to do to be sure, but man, these Heresys are bad *** and i think i just want to stay up all night listening, just as i used to with my CW's.   You were spot on with that tweak.   Thanks

Well it was just a guess, since I never measured and EV based K55 before.......or your hearing. So I'm happy it worked out welcome to the Super Heresy Club in Sonic Nirvana!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just listening at low volume now 75db and it sounds way better than i thought it could.   Maybe at high volume may not be so good?  Will see.   Just glued the 2.0 caps to the 3.9's.  Shouldn't hurt any thing.

20180202_175606.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still evaluating the Supers and they are sounding fantastic.   All of the distortion i was getting from the K55m mids is gone and can now listen on axis to my ears.   I think they sound great on the floor, but haven't tried them elevated yet.   Anyone with a pair of Heresy 1's should try this mod, but be sure to use a 2.0 cap on the input and  #2 tap for your mid if its a K55m and klipsch autoformer.   Low volume to high volume, doesn't matter, they sound  so rich and clean  that i can hear  everything now like cymbals and breathing.    With mid on tap 3 they were too distorted to hear the small things when listened to on axis to the ears and sounded much like a hollow horn if you know what i mean.   Thanks for all your advice claude, you knocked it out of the park buddy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 11:02 AM, mopardave said:

I did not know air core coils were a bad thing here.   I guess things change with time.   Didnt some of the ALK xo come with air core's?

Al knows all and if you don't believe him, he will shout you down until you leave or agree

 

Mark

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2018 at 1:13 AM, ZEUS121996 said:

Al knows all and if you don't believe him, he will shout you down until you leave or agree

 

Mark

He does have some good crossover designs. Some might say overkill. Strong opinions too, but never impolite to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×