External preamp or no?

Hello. Using Klipsch Powergate, Klipsch R-15m and Pioneer Pl-30-K (Switched from 3600l to at95e). Both have built-in riaa, I get a good clean treble and wide sound image with the one in the turntable, but I do not think the bass really is there. Get a clearer bass with the one in the powergate, but then the treble is not as clear and clear I think, and I think the sound image becomes narrower. Should an Oehlbach Phono Preamp Pro be able to fix it or do you not think it will make any significant difference? Have already ordered one, but can cancel before they can send it.

Skickat från min G8141 via Tapatalk

Hello. Using Klipsch Powergate, Klipsch R-15m and Pioneer Pl-30-K (Switched from 3600l to at95e). Both have built-in riaa, I get a good clean treble and wide sound image with the one in the turntable, but I do not think the bass really is there. Get a clearer bass with the one in the powergate, but then the treble is not as clear and clear I think, and I think the sound image becomes narrower. Should an Oehlbach Phono Preamp Pro be able to fix it or do you not think it will make any significant difference? Have already ordered one, but can cancel before they can send it.

Anyone?

I would just make sure your 'equalizer switch' on the turntable and the 'line-phono' switch on the power gate are both set correctly when you are doing your comparisons.  From your description, are you hearing a huge difference between the two that is immediately apparent?  Or do you have to really listen hard for a while before your audible memory thinks it can hear a difference?  

• Like 1

I would just make sure your 'equalizer switch' on the turntable and the 'line-phono' switch on the power gate are both set correctly when you are doing your comparisons.  From your description, are you hearing a huge difference between the two the is immediately apparent?  Or do you have to really listen hard for a while before your audible memory thinks it can hear a difference?  
Of course i have tested them individually [emoji846] And yes, the difference is very clear [emoji846]

Then use the one in the turntable and add a subwoofer ;-)  I really don't know then.  There should not be a big difference in built-in phono preamps when driving a very standard (easy) 3.5mV MM output from the AT95e.  On the one hand, it might be worth $100 to see if you prefer an external phono preamp.  On the other hand, you could just be adding a 3rd flavor to the mix.

• Like 1

Then use the one in the turntable and add a subwoofer ;-)  I really don't know then.  There should not be a big difference in built-in phono preamps when driving a very standard (easy) 3.5mV MM output from the AT95e.  On the one hand, it might be worth $100 to see if you prefer an external phono preamp.  On the other hand, you could just be adding a 3rd flavor to the mix.
I was thinking that, or bigger speakers. But i dont have the until we move to a bigger place. The preamp ive ordered has a switch for mm or mc. It is entry level compared to the top ones, but probably alot better than the integrated ones on newer stuff. The older integrated ones are better than the new ones. But i dont know if it will make a difference, but i hope so.

I do not think you will find many members here familiar with that phono preamplifier. Are there any adjustments on any of the three phono preamplifiers? It may just be a mismatch on your cartridge and the phono pres in question. Most of the cheaper phono preamplifiers are based on a integrated circuit chip. Variations of the NE5532. Here is a popular one in the USA for half the money you are looking at.As you can see it has some adjustments. I cannot say it will fulfil you needs though. I am a diy'er and have built many phono pres for my own use. It is hard to beat a good chip based phono pre when designed right. 

https://www.amazon.com/ART-Audio-DJPRE-Turntable-Preamplifier/dp/B000AJR482/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1516537114&sr=8-3&keywords=phono+preamp+for+turntable
No, not on the integrated ones. But the one ive ordered has a switch for mm or mc. Its a entry level compared to the top ones, but probably alot better than the integrated ones. The integrated ones on older systems are far better than the integrated ones on newer stuff. Thats why i thought it could give me better results.

Might want to check out the Schiit Mani - $129 US.  Crazy good for the money.  Lots of flexibility.  http://www.schiit.com/products/mani
Hm, interesting. Not alot more expensive. You think its better?

When i have the room again, i will get bigger speakers or a klipsch sub. I could get a full system, ive had that before with vintage technics stuff. But all im interested in really is streaming and listening to vinyls. I don't really need a full big system, and I don't really want one either.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, nicklaskarlsson8 said:

Sounds to me like you can't have clear treble and bass.................yet. What about the midrange??

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, nicklaskarlsson8 said:

Mid range is consistant, no differences from streaming, or with the amps. But this is not an top system, so what can you expect? But i get better sound than i expected when streaming.

Wideband speaker setup (with 2 subs) and room EQ is far more important than a phono pre-amp. You are barking up the wrong tree if you are trying to improve your sound, top to bottom.

• Like 1

Wideband speaker setup (with 2 subs) and room EQ is far more important than a phono pre-amp. You are barking up the wrong tree if you are trying to improve your sound, top to bottom.
Yeah, will upgrade with klipsch sub when we move to bigger and get more room. But for now i want to try if i can get a wider sound all over with that. I did with another preamp which you can control the level on. Got it for another system (pioneer x-hm22 and pioneer pl-990), but upgraded to what i have now. Got it because the built in riaa didnt give enough volume, or the mini stereo wasnt good on handling the signal. Its a monacor sla-35 preamp, but it is not a dedicated riaa.