K52 Replacement Phenolic Diaphragm 127120

CANT

5 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Are these are new product being offered or new old stock from years back?

These are new OEM product being offered online through SimplySpeakers same as the Ti replacements 127122. They actually seem to be built the same as the Ti diaphragms just with a phenolic material. Same terminals, same flat copper ribbon leads, same VC former... these may be negligible changes but I was still curious?

I should also point out that I have no idea how long they have been produced like this, it may and likely has been for some time? I just recently noticed.  

Based on this information I bought some new old stock k-52-H drivers from the guy in Canada a couple years ago? Don't know if they are really anything special as @moray james seemed to suggest in that thread but they appear to be a little lighter in color than others I have seen. That's what I'm using now in my Chorus 1's and they sound great, wonder what simplyspeakers is selling?

Well K52 is basically the designation for the 1.5" motor (phase plug, diaphragm, magnet) assy used with various horns in the K-52-K, K-53-K, K-57-K, K-58-K, K-59-K, K-61-K and K-62-K. The K52H refers to that motor coming with a snout that allows you to mount it to a 1" horn. There are also, to my knowledge, 2 versions of this snout... the older metal one that allows it to be mounted to the early horns with a 5/8" throat/inlet (K600, K700) and the later resin composite/molded one that was used when mounting it to horns with a more current 25mm throat/inlet (K703 in the KLF and the K604T in various Pro speakers).

Most of the old diaphragms with the dual spade terminals are all about the same though I have noticed slight variations in VC former material. You have to go WAY back to when the phase plug was separate from the diaphragm to get some very obvious differences. Oh, and there were also 2 versions of the phase plug and the motor it self changed some time in the 90's (I think) to add some volume to the area behind the diaphragm (I can't for the life of me remember what that space is called right now).

I should take some pictures...

And here are some close ups on VC former variations... 

1. The standard and most common I've seen. Definitely Klipsch

2. Possibly a later variation or maybe aftermarket?

3. Crites replacement part

I've seen others but 

unnamed-4.jpg

unnamed-5.jpg

unnamed-6.jpg

I almost forgot about the Magnet...

The black one is an original Heppner which was potted in a metal bowl/bell/not sure what to call it? The first Klipsch parts where produced with the same flat pole piece but structurally looked more like the current part. Then at some point they moved to what you see in the second photo.

Magnet Old.jpg

Magnet New.jpg

16 hours ago, CANT said:

Phase plugs... 

unnamed-1.jpg

unnamed.jpg

Mr/Ms CANT:

There's a visual disconnect here that puzzles me. 

The phase plug on the left has small holes drilled above the main outlets. Yet, the top, inside view has holes drilled close together very near the apex of the cone. Is this the same phase plug?

57 minutes ago, boom3 said:

There's a visual disconnect here that puzzles me. 

The phase plug on the left has small holes drilled above the main outlets. Yet, the top, inside view has holes drilled close together very near the apex of the cone. Is this the same phase plug?

Yep, same plug. While the main apertures are basically drilled straight down, those smaller ones are practically drilled straight through the side. A few years back I actually came across a one piece molded phase plug/diaphragm that had that same plug variation, not sure where it went though? If I remember correctly, that plug has slightly higher output above 5kHz but nothing too earth shattering.

Thanks, that makes sense. When the distance between the outlets is comparatble to the wavelengths of interest, the phase plug will be more like a barrier. The set of smaller holes acts almost like a "second" phase plug at some frequency. Eons ago, I had some Utah horn tweeters that used cast metal phase plugs over paper diaphragms. They were fine between 5-14 KHz, after that they dropped like a stone. They only had 4 outlet holes spaced equally around the base of the cone. 

I wonder if anyone has a curve on the K-52-H/K-601 combo?