The Klipsch Audio Community
DISCO-INFERNO-70

Ultimate KLF30 upgrades

Hello guys, i just joined this forum to let you guys know about my KLF 30 upgrades.

I'm sure most of you already know about the Crites titanium tweeters, crossovers and A-55G midrange drivers for the KLF 30's, but from what i can see, nobody really has a solution for the woofers.

I thought about getting the Crites woofers as well, but i wanted more than just a replacement for the K 31 E's, i wanted a better woofer overall.

As many of you already know, the bass output on the KLF 30's is a bit shallow, and many people feel the need to add a sub for that extra kick. I wanted something that would eliminate the need for a sub, and there are only a handful of dedicated woofers that have a frequency range that would work well in these cabinets.

After much research, i found the PERFECT upgrades, the CIARE HW321.

Not only do these woofers fit PERFECTLY with no modifications, they look and sound amazing. It's as if they were perfectly tuned to work with the KLF 30 cabinets, and they are vastly superior in every way to the K 31 E. They are made in Italy, and are definitely high quality . In all honesty, i'm amazed the K 31 E sounds as good as it did, because they are really flimsy and low quality.

I swapped everything out with crites crossover, titanium tweeters and the A-55G mids, and then the CIARE HW321's.

Overall, everything cost me about $1400, but i feel like it was a bargain. Here's my final verdict:

I can't believe how much better these speakers sound now, not only in terms of clarity, but raw power. I didn't change ANYTHING in regards to equipment, or speaker placement, and the difference is staggering. The Crites upgrades are worth every penny, as the highs and mids not only reach another octave, but there is NONE of the "harshness" that is usually associated with Klipsch horns.

Some people say that Klipsch's are an acquired taste, but there is a warmer and softer tone to the highs and mids with these Crites upgrades.

As for the CIARE HW321 woofers, HOLY CRAP what an improvement. NO ONE will claim they need a sub once they hear these woofers, which feel like they were designed SPECIFICALLY for these cabinets. The bass is phenominal across a wide range, and combined with the Crites pieces, these towers will out perform much more expensive reference speakers. In fact, they will EMBARRASS many audiophile picks.

I got these woofers from US SPEAKER online, as parts express doesn't carry them. You will NOT find a better speaker for these cabinets.

Here are some of the specs. 

SPECIFICATIONS

Nominal Basket Diameter

12" / 304mm

Impedance

8 ohms

AES Power Rating

150 Watts

Program Power 300 Watts

Frequency Response

25Hz - 2.5kHz

Sensitivity (1W/1m)

93dB SPL

Air Gap Height 8.0mm

Voice Coil Diameter

2.0" / 50mm

• Like 3

Thanks for posting this. I'm very interested in these woofers.

I have two pair of 30's and just completed all of the upgrades you stated above. These DO NOT sound like stock KLF-30'S. Your description on sound quality mirrors mine.

In addition to all these upgrades, another thing I did that was HUGE in improving their performance was sealing the cabs with PL Premium X3 and adding front to back bracing.

I fixed two of the speakers that were obviously coming apart......but after that even though everything seemed fine, I fixed the other two that didn't seem to have any problems anyway and that's when my jaw dropped.

I have the stock K-31 woofers and when I lay into these babies it's like someone is pounding on the floor with a sledgehammer.

Thanks for posting this and I would seriously think about reinforcing your cabs if you haven't already.....even if they seem fine. I know I'm glad I did. Moray James here has been preaching this for years and I finally took his advice. Thanks MJ!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, SWL said:

Thanks for posting this. I'm very interested in these woofers.

I have two pair of 30's and just completed all of the upgrades you stated above. These DO NOT sound like stock KLF-30'S. Your description on sound quality mirrors mine.

In addition to all these upgrades, another thing I did that was HUGE in improving their performance was sealing the cabs with PL Premium X3 and adding front to back bracing.

I fixed two of the speakers that were obviously coming apart......but after that even though everything seemed fine, I fixed the other two that didn't seem to have any problems anyway and that's when my jaw dropped.

I have the stock K-31 woofers and when I lay into these babies it's like someone is pounding on the floor with a sledgehammer.

Thanks for posting this and I would seriously think about reinforcing your cabs if you haven't already.....even if they seem fine. I know I'm glad I did. Moray James here has been preaching this for years and I finally took his advice. Thanks MJ!

Do yourself a favor and get the CIARE HW321's. They absolutely blow away the K-31's, and it's not even close. They go for $140 a piece, so they're not terribly expensive in my opinion, and they're better than anything you'll find on parts express. Also, they fit with ZERO modifications.

• Like 1

I'm really considering it. I need to sell an amp first. Anyone looking for a mint Crown Macrotech 3600vz?

ultimate klf30 upgrade is another pair of speakers :)

• Haha 1

You've not heard an upgraded KLF-30 with solid cabs.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Schu said:

ultimate klf30 upgrade is another pair of speakers :)

Like what? I'm not saying these are the greatest speakers ever made, but with these upgrades, they sound better than anything within this price range.

• Like 2

What would be an estimated frequency response range on these? 

I got these woofers today for my 30's. I won't go too much into detail yet but initial impressions are very, very good.

I'll give them a day or so before I light them up. Like Disco said....build quality is far superior to the originals. It's also nice that you can install all 8 screws without having to deal with that stupid plastic ring on the originals.

So far, the overall fidelity that the speaker throws out there now with these woofers installed is admirable.

I bought these from US Speaker out of NJ. Alex was a great guy to deal with and was extremely helpful. They shipped immediately and from NJ to WI I got them in three days. Very smooth transaction. I will definitely be doing business with them in the future. More to come.....ed75d12025fd1391e804c882a01a345d.jpgf047c432005f50688b12de3ac466371c.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SWL said:

I got these woofers today for my 30's. I won't go too much into detail yet but initial impressions are very, very good.

I'll give them a day or so before I light them up. Like Disco said....build quality is far superior to the originals. It's also nice that you can install all 8 screws without having to deal with that stupid plastic ring on the originals.

So far, the overall fidelity that the speaker throws out there now with these woofers installed is admirable.

I bought these from US Speaker out of NJ. Alex was a great guy to deal with and was extremely helpful. They shipped immediately and from NJ to WI I got them in three days. Very smooth transaction. I will definitely be doing business with them in the future. More to come.....emoji106.pnged75d12025fd1391e804c882a01a345d.jpgf047c432005f50688b12de3ac466371c.jpg

Do they fit the recesses in the KLF30 well?  How do they match efficiency wise to the mids (without using something that will auto-eq - receiver)?  

MUST RESIST.... MUST RESIST :blink:

On 1/21/2018 at 8:58 PM, DISCO-INFERNO-70 said:

Like what? I'm not saying these are the greatest speakers ever made, but with these upgrades, they sound better than anything within this price range.

100% agree on your point about KLF30s.  They are the real hidden gem in the Klipsch line.  Fed right and in a good room, they can keep up with Khorns though need a bit more current and power.  All in the amp pairing.

Do they fit the recesses in the KLF30 well?  How do they match efficiency wise to the mids (without using something that will auto-eq - receiver)?  

MUST RESIST.... MUST RESIST :blink:
Installation was just like Disco Inferno said....they drop right in with no modifications. The screw holes lined right up with the originals and I didn't have to deal with the plastic ring to drill the additional four so there's a total of eight mounting screws.

One thing I noticed right off the bat is how the lower mids sound cleaner and smoother. I mean actually, the mids and bass in general sound cleaner and smoother.

The only thing that concerned me so far with these woofers is that they don't come with any kind of gasket to seal them to the cabinet. No problem though..... I just used a cord of mortite on the flanges. I use mortite on all of my cabinet to flange seals. Stuff works great for making a tight seal.6a8d30c98c43182defaf72d33742effd.jpg81ae4d8030dbb423d8b8f2f6748861cc.jpg5d0fe5fb8eab108b3f3f7b4744b0c950.jpg

• Like 2

If these are an upgrade for the klf 30 it makes me wonder if the same would be true for Jubilee's, since they both use the k31?

Hole. Lee. She. It. Did you feel that?!!

So I'm humming along at 100db with a stupid look on my face. Just totally digging it. I decide to go run some errands and let it pound away for a while. Loosen things up a bit.

Pull back into the garage. I hear the 'thump, thump, thump'. Sit down in the sweet spot, still at 100db. Everything is cool. Really cool. I mean the bass is so solid, tight and has serious authority. I'm trying my hardest to contain myself. I've been here before.

Then comes on, Earth Wind and Fire 'Lets Groove' the instrumental version. It is beyond foot tapping at this point. Does anybody head bang to Earth Wind and Fire? LOL. Screw it, I can't wait anymore.

The gains on my amp are at 1:00. Not anymore. I turn them all the way up. Old school, "Real Crown" power at it's finest.
I am totally floored. The bass is ROCK SOLID and the speaker from top to bottom is so contained. So keeping it's composure at 115db.

Then I start making my way into the heavy stuff. Pantera just totally kicked my a$$. I got a full body massage. I haven't had powerful bass like this since I had four RF-7'S in here along with 6 subs. I'm not kidding. Oh, and as far as the Tubas I have in here...... I turned them off so they could just get the hell out of the way and let the 30's do their thing. Freaking awesome.

Many thanks to Disco Inferno for posting this thread and making everyone aware of these outstanding woofers. I already had all the other upgrades done but I wanted to get some more woofers just so I had them in case. You know.....when Metallica decides to show up. I really didn't want to get the same EV woofers. I wanted an upgrade and this is it.

I did a couple extra things to mine in addition to what Disco Inferno did to his. If you go this route, I guarantee you won't regret it.

1. Titanium tweeter diaphragms
2. A-55-G midrange drivers
3. Crites crossovers with new internal wiring
4. Ciare 12" woofers
5. Sealed cabs with PL Premium X3
6. Added front to back bracing (minimal)
7. Swapped the stock metal jumpers with 10 guage Mogami jumpers. This one surprised me.

Since I've done these upgrades, it seems placement/location is less important. It still is but I can pretty much put these anywhere and they're going to perform well unlike before.

Of all these upgrades, I would have to say that making sure the cabinets were sealed and reinforced was probably the most important. Even my cabs that didn't seem to have any 'issues' benefitted from sealing them up and adding some 3/4" x 3/4" front to back bracing.

These things pound like sledgehammers and they're totally under control. They're not in your face. They're punchy and dynamic sounding. Live sounding but comfortable and smooth to listen to. I will add that I do EQ mine in the digital domain. Nothing is boosted and the highs are slightly rolled off. It just works.

• Like 6

Glad to see you are satisfied. 

These woofers should work just as well in ANY application that used the K-31's, and i suspect they would be an upgrade in ANY cabinet that uses a 12 inch woofer.

I joined this forum just as a way to help others who faced the same dilemma regarding replacing the K-31 woofers.

I couldn't believe how hard it was to get information regarding the specs on the K-31's, and i never even heard of Ciare before, but after calling US speaker, i was assured that these are top quality woofers. I can't believe i was actually contemplating replacing the KLF 30's altogether. I'm glad i didn't, because in all honesty, i seriously doubt there is anything in the Klipsch stable that can touch these now.

Hearing is believing...........

• Like 2

I just put my subs up for sale. These 30's are animals.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SWL said:

7. Swapped the stock metal jumpers with 10 guage Mogami jumpers. This one surprised me.

These jumpers actually made a noticeable difference? If so, in what way?