Thinkers and Malcontents

Zen Traveler

The title of this thread is to give homage to @thebes for one he started shortly after the No BS Forum was closed. I really miss the old place and realized at the time how cathartic and educational it was. What those cumulative years  encapsulated was how each of us viewed contemporary events that now have become history....Not many people get to learn from what they said over the decades and how it affects how others view them and their thoughts. Admittedly, we found not everyone views these important conversations the same, but imo what is missing in today's discussion (not here, but in Reality) is debating actual facts and defending positions...One of the things in retrospect I learned in over a dozen years of discussions in the BS Forum (and decade prior through email correspondence) is that quite a few folks are persuaded to cloud up discussions with minutia that only takes away from developing consensus. In the end I contend thinking people lose.

Until recently I was content that the Klipsch Forum is a "speaker forum" and chose to leave for a while realizing others were filling the void we/I once held helping people with their setups. On top of that I wasn't fond in discussing things normally found in the Lounge section because most of the things didn't interest me. I don't follow sports, care about cars or what anyone is listening to--Otoh, I also understand it is valuable in  making/keeping friends with likeminded interest and that is a Win/Win for Klipsch and folks who frequent here.

That said, the discussions we had in the BS/No BS forum did so as well and I came back here because I miss those guys--Pretty much all of them who didn't give me a misguided medical diagnosis or claimed I "spend too much time on the internet." ^_^ As time goes on I still reflect on those discussions and wish there was a way to keep all of us on-board because these relationships are real and I don't want to join FaceBook or Twitter...That said, I also see we can have important discussions without it going off the rails and have participated in two of them since I've come back--Any thoughts on what we can do to keep it real and beneficial for Klipsch Inc? 

• Like 1

Glad you're back ZT.

The now-closed other forum excluded most members and was nothing more than a name-calling place where trolling and personal attacks were not only accepted but encouraged.  There was no moderation whatsoever.  It was closed appropriately by Klipsch, Inc.  There are plenty of other places on the web where people can go to cuss, troll and call names.

Religion, politics and controversial current events have no place on a speaker forum.  It turns friends into enemies and bad feelings for any reason is not good business for our hosts.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Glad you're back ZT.

Thanks, wvu80. Good to talk with you again.

The now-closed other forum excluded most members and was nothing more than a name-calling place where trolling and personal attacks were not only accepted but encouraged. 

Believe it or not I agree with you. I wouldn't say outright encouraged but feel folks sense of humor, as well as sensitives are different. When I brought up what you are mentioning above I was told that was what the Ignore button was for--That worked for me until it didn't.  

There was no moderation whatsoever. 

I also think that was a reason for it's downfall--I think there should be moderation in regard to the policy set and none-more-so than the name calling. I never engaged in that aspect and would volunteer my services in that regard.

It was closed appropriately by Klipsch, Inc.  There are plenty of other places on the web where people can go to cuss, troll and call names.

Now we are in disagreement. I agree with the first but think your categorizing of the nature of the place is wrong. Yes the above happened every once in a while but shouldn't cloud anyone's perspective of the good that came there.

Religion, politics and controversial current events have no place on a speaker forum. 

Neither are most of the topics in the Lounge section even though that is one of the most frequented.

It turns friends into enemies and bad feelings for any reason is not good business for our hosts.

It also became a place where folks who are good for "our hosts" congregated and in fact had some of the oldest members still involved. Heck, I was invited to participate because I traveled to both Hope and Indy to meet some of the folks we had been having conversations with and enjoyed those as well. :emotion-21:

11 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

was nothing more than a name-calling place where trolling and personal attacks were not only accepted but encouraged.

Wrong

11 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

There was no moderation whatsoever.

Wrong

13 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Religion, politics and controversial current events have no place on a speaker forum.

Well then, I guess BBQ, college football and discussion regarding insurance policies, along with a multitude of other subjects don't either.

How ridiculous.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

...Well then, I guess BBQ, college football and discussion regarding insurance policies, along with a multitude of other subjects don't either.

How ridiculous.

I am with you on this one but gotta admit  I followed those Hot Sauce threads. ^_^ No. Seriously! :o  {Note to those that don't appreciate the emoticons: These guys help express my thoughts without having to use so many words. ;)} Btw, that Jaleban concoction was like a religious experience that could only be rectified by going back to the green formula. :ph34r:}

I agree with Jimbo 100%.

The thinkers as well as the malcontents included everyone who participated, it was at no time limited to any one set of individuals, and changed with the political landscape. To think that only certain individuals were thinker, while others, who disagreed with a particular point of view were malcontent, would be arrogant and condescending.

Zen, if you truly miss your one-sided "discussions", please know that there's a little patch of heaven that's beckoning your participation in a not too distant forum.

I'm going to have to talk myself into going to a Hope gathering so I can meet with you and the rest of the BS degenerates before God collects my soul to put in his trophy room. FWIW, I think your one of the kindest forum members I've come across, but don't let that go to your head, it's fat enough already. ;-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

I agree with Jimbo 100%.

The thinkers as well as the malcontents included everyone who participated, it was at no time limited to any one set of individuals, and changed with the political landscape. To think that only certain individuals were thinker, while others, who disagreed with a particular point of view were malcontent, would be arrogant and condescending.

Sure. As you know I pointed that out as well.

Zen, if you truly miss your one-sided "discussions", please know that there's a little patch of heaven that's beckoning your participation in a not too distant forum.

Thanks, Gil. I am not a fan of the name-calling aspect and prefer to engage those people in person. {Note: I don't  remember any "one-sided discussions, although remember some being side-tracked by non-sequiturs.}

I'm going to have to talk myself into going to a Hope gathering so I can meet with you and the rest of the BS degenerates before God collects my soul to put in his trophy room.

I have been to 3 pilgrimages and may have another one in me...That said, you taught me some things about Trophy Hunters and gave me a perspective on giraffes I'd never considered.  

FWIW, I think your one of the kindest forum members I've come across, but don't let that go to your head, it's fat enough already. ;-)

Now you are just buttering me up so you can meet me in Hope. ;) After I found out about the Alcohol and Gun policy I figured it wasn't really a safe place for me. That said, I would like to meet you in person as long as you convince @anarchist@Mallette and/or @oldtimer to be involved. 

• Like 1

Trophy Hunters, Giraffes?   you'll have to remind me on that one. 

I don't do "Butter-up", and I avoid bad people like the plague. Lifes to short to be wasted with bad people. I generally call'em like I see'em..... and I see you as a person with a kind heart; and that ranks at the top of my list when it comes to people I will associate with.

Since I've never been to a pilgramage, I'm not sure what to think about your alcohol and gun policy comment. I'd like to include my girls with me, because my plan is keep pushing into OK and go fishing with an old friend.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

I don't do "Butter-up", and I avoid bad people like the plague. Lifes to short to be wasted with bad people. I generally call'em like I see'em..... and I see you as a person with a kind heart; and that ranks at the top of my list when it comes to people I will associate with.

Since I've never been to a pilgramage, I'm not sure what to think about your alcohol and gun policy comment. I'd like to include my girls with me, because my plan is keep pushing into OK and go fishing with an old friend.

Hey, you know what happens when you mix alcohol, guns and rednecks!  

(Target practice!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

Glad you're back ZT.

The now-closed other forum excluded most members and was nothing more than a name-calling place where trolling and personal attacks were not only accepted but encouraged.  There was no moderation whatsoever.  It was closed appropriately by Klipsch, Inc.  There are plenty of other places on the web where people can go to cuss, troll and call names.

Religion, politics and controversial current events have no place on a speaker forum.  It turns friends into enemies and bad feelings for any reason is not good business for our hosts.

I agree with Jim on not agreeing with your POV. Another point is that you did not have to go there, but did on your own free will. No one was invited or made to go there. There were members that I didn't share their POV, nor their tactics, but it was my choice to engage in the topics, or not. Often, I chose not, maybe others should have made the same choice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

Well then, I guess BBQ, college football and discussion regarding insurance policies, along with a multitude of other subjects don't either.

How ridiculous.

Subjects thst have a tendency to pit one member against another have no place here. Some people get emotional and defensive over certain subjects.  Those subjects should be avoided.  Everything else is pretty much fair game.

17 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Gladly and this is one of the things I found fun about the BS Forum...Someone made the joke about hunting giraffes like it was a bad thing and you let us know how dangerous they could be to farmers and villagers and that was something I hadn't thought about.

Thanks, Gil and I for the most part agree. Yours and my personality seem to collide and some of the things you've said to me I took as offensive. 

The picture you shared with us on your daughters, if I am remembering correctly seemed to be two wonderful kids playing on the driveway--It left a warm impression on me that you probably say some outrageous things to them (not in a nasty way) that they roll their eyes and say, "That's just dad." You also said the single most important thing to me when I was in the process of being banned over at AVS and my dog had just died--That too left an impression on me...For the record, some of the other things I could've done without and acknowledge others appreciated more than myself...

The "guns and alcohol" comment was the realization that some folks don't like my communication style and as nice as you paint me to be, I also realize sometimes the way I communicate comes across as lecturing. That, along with my incessant  need to discuss important topics doesn't mix well with folks who have had too much to drink and I always worry what could happen with those who are also packin'. I genuinely try to treat people like I want to be treated, but also realize frustration can lead to anger and have seen folks act irrationally--In the real, in the flesh conversations, those have more ramifications.