Thinkers and Malcontents

Zen Traveler

31 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

There were members that I didn't share their POV, nor their tactics, but it was my choice to engage in the topics, or not. Often, I chose not, maybe others should have made the same choice.

I have always thought this as well. The reason I started this thread is because it seemed the baby was thrown out with the bathwater. 

8 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

That's not true.  You contemplated leaving when Rodney shot at a dog that was harassing his.

Happens regularly.  Joe did it once while I was there.  They aim low...and these guys know how to aim.  At most, the shot bounces into the dog from the ground.  Never seen one injured.  

Dave

12 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Subjects thst have a tendency to pit one member against another have no place here. Some people get emotional and defensive over certain subjects.  Those subjects should be avoided.  Everything else is pretty much fair game.

Then those that want to get "emotional and defensive" wins and the rest of us lose, imo. 

Well, let's talk about what to do.  What about an FB members only group?  I'd be happy to start one and extend admin to a few of the old timers to approve new members.  Moderation, and expectations of civil behavior, would be about the same as the old BS Forum.  I know many here are FB adverse, but one CAN create a pretty well locked down FB page if you wish and probably send no more data to FB than you do to others.  

Dave

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mallette said:

Happens regularly.  Joe did it once while I was there.  They aim low...and these guys know how to aim.  At most, the shot bounces into the dog from the ground.  Never seen one injured.  

Dave

I have a dog adopted from a little country place we used to have.  When we had her spayed, I asked the vet to go ahead and remove a BB from her chest and another one from her leg.  She's a really good dog!

5 hours ago, Mallette said:

Well, let's talk about what to do.  What about an FB members only group?  I'd be happy to start one and extend admin to a few of the old timers to approve new members.  Moderation, and expectations of civil behavior, would be about the same as the old BS Forum.  I know many here are FB adverse, but one CAN create a pretty well locked down FB page if you wish and probably send no more data to FB than you do to others.  

Dave

That is a great idea. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Facebook is evil.

I admit even though I don't believe in evil per se, I didn't realize how many people actually got their news from it. It really surprised me what folks were reporting in the old BS Forum about what the female members of their family were saying about contemporary discussions. :huh: Now that I learned how it could be manipulated it REALLY bolstered my contention of how many people can be swayed by propaganda and that it's not even generated by actual humans--BLEW MY MIND! 

That said, I am open to Dave's idea. Folks used to describe the various BS Forums that way however we knew that humans were the ones sharing their opinion. 

5 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:
5 hours ago, Mallette said:

Dave

I have a dog adopted from a little country place we used to have.  When we had her spayed, I asked the vet to go ahead and remove a BB from her chest and another one from her leg.  She's a really good dog!

That sounds like Joe's dog--Did you get him from Hope?