Thinkers and Malcontents

Zen Traveler

6 hours ago, Mallette said:

Happens regularly.  Joe did it once while I was there.  They aim low...and these guys know how to aim.  At most, the shot bounces into the dog from the ground.  Never seen one injured.  

Dave

When growing up, a buddy and I use to shoot jack rabbits by bouncing our 54 cal muzzle loader slugs off the ground..... The impact from a  450 grain slug was so brutal, that all four legs of the rabbit were almost always broken at mid height. Ah, the good ole' days..

4 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Inconsistent logic.  or are you just afraid of Gilbert?

I'm not sure of what you mean about Gilbert but I like Dave's idea about having our own rules. 

2 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

When growing up, a buddy and I use to shoot jack rabbits by bouncing our 54 cal muzzle loader slugs off the ground..... The impact from a  450 grain slug was so brutal, that all four legs of the rabbit were almost always broken at mid height. Ah, the good ole' days..

Okay, maybe a little, but still don't get the point (oldtimer).

15 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

The point is the place already exists.  Why does facebook appeal instead?  Facebook is a thousand times a thousand times worse.

I like the idea of their being rules and told you how I feel about internet bullies. What Dave describes seem to be a happy medium and folks can join without the "beat and greet," innuendo.  

2 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Which one?  Nietzsche quote, that is.

I like this one:

“Success has always been the greatest liar - and the "work" itself is a success; the great statesman, the conqueror, the discoverer is disguised by his creations, often beyond recognition; the "work," whether of the artist or the philosopher, invents the man who has created it, who is supposed to have create it; "great men," as they are venerated, are subsequent pieces of wretched minor fiction”
Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

6 hours ago, Mallette said:

Well, let's talk about what to do.  What about an FB members only group?  I'd be happy to start one and extend admin to a few of the old timers to approve new members.  Moderation, and expectations of civil behavior, would be about the same as the old BS Forum.  I know many here are FB adverse, but one CAN create a pretty well locked down FB page if you wish and probably send no more data to FB than you do to others.  

Dave

Zen, what rules?  I see no difference.

Just now, Mallette said:

Brian, no desire or attempt to compete.  But there are those who I wish to discuss things with who don't seem to want to join us there.  So what the heck.  

Dave

I expressed my reasoning to both he and you. I have nothing against the place but it seems a Facebook group that is invite only could grow and have some insightful discussions if the idiotic name calling and badgering wasn't allowed. That is what destroyed the place here. 

6 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I like this one:

“Success has always been the greatest liar - and the "work" itself is a success; the great statesman, the conqueror, the discoverer is disguised by his creations, often beyond recognition; the "work," whether of the artist or the philosopher, invents the man who has created it, who is supposed to have create it; "great men," as they are venerated, are subsequent pieces of wretched minor fiction”
Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.

And if thou gaze long into an abyss the abyss will also gaze into thee" 

6 minutes ago, Mallette said:

Brian, no desire or attempt to compete.  But there are those who I wish to discuss things with who don't seem to want to join us there.  So what the heck.  

Dave

Good luck with getting anyone to go somewhere else.  Facebook, the web, whatever.  It seems getting old dogs to tread new paths is more difficult than imagined.  That, and true freedom scares people more than oppression.

• Like 2