Thinkers and Malcontents

Zen Traveler

12 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

That is what destroyed the place here. 

No, it wasn't.  It was mental breakdowns on the part of one person, then another at a later date.  

Anyway, I am going to create this thing...but not tonight.  Time for bed and weather radio is screaming about tornados.  Crikey...Texas weather.  6 degrees a few days ago and now 70 with tornados.  

Dave

1 hour ago, Jeff Matthews said:

When you think about it, why even have a Klipsch forum at all?  We can talk about speakers on Facebook.

I'd prefer Chad to Zuckerberg.  FB has it's uses, but I much prefer the bbs format.  I know OldTimer has been frustrated by the lack of interest in his no moderation bbs and I empathize as I've tried this myself with the same result.  OTOH, there are a few who absolutely won't do FB...but less than those who won't do a BBS.  I don't mind Klipsch mining our data to whatever extent they do as much as with FB.

Dave 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mallette said:

I'd prefer Chad to Zuckerberg.  FB has it's uses, but I much prefer the bbs format.  I know OldTimer has been frustrated by the lack of interest in his no moderation bbs and I empathize as I've tried this myself with the same result.  OTOH, there are a few who absolutely won't do FB...but less than those who won't do a BBS.  I don't mind Klipsch mining our data to whatever extent they do as much as with FB.

Dave 

Yeah, I've tried to move to Oldie's BBS, too.  Nobody wants to go.  I predict the same will happen everywhere you try.  Either make new friends, or stay here and keep the ones you have despite all the censorship.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

I predict the same will happen everywhere you try.

I think I mentioned above that I'd tried to start a BBS with my oldest friends.  But it didn't work.  We started a close FB group, and everyone joined and it's been working for years now.  The group I am creating will show posts only to members, though the page and member list will be viewable by the public.  We can change the whole thing to "secret" so it's invite only and visible only to members if it works out and that is what we want to do.  Otherwise, we're likely to get requests to join from the curious.  

Dave

2 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

When you think about it, why even have a Klipsch forum at all?  We can talk about speakers on Facebook.  Who knows what the attraction to this particular web address is, but there you have it.

Because we're drawn to this place because of Klipsch speakers, not BS.  There's maybe half a dozen people lamenting the demise of the BS section.  The Klipsch forum can survive without the BS area but obviously the BS area can't survive on its own without Klipsch.

When you think about it, why even have a Klipsch forum at all?  We can talk about speakers on Facebook.  Who knows what the attraction to this particular web address is, but there you have it.

More people go to AVS Forum for help than here. I can't speak about Klipsch's Facebook page because I've never gone but think it would also get more hits than here. As I've mentioned before, not a fan of the Lounge section although I recently gleaned some important stuff in regard to the "Meltdown" situation that I may not have come across with out the thread--That said, There have always been various cliques here on the forum but now it's pretty much homogenized as the Forum has become more corporate...Nothing wrong with that and those folks seem to be good friends who enjoy the same kinda things. I gather forums now are 'old school' and surely it can't cost Klipsch much to keep it going--Bragging rights and all...

58 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Yeah, I've tried to move to Oldie's BBS, too.  Nobody wants to go. 

Fwiw, one of the main reasons I didn't go is the "Everything goes," atmosphere. Regardless what the mods are telling us of the BS Forum's demise I still contend the name calling and uncivil behavior by some is what turns folks off. It did me but I stayed trying to keep topical, religious/spiritual, and art topics alive and appreciate the few that did join in.

I predict the same will happen everywhere you try. 

I'm willing to try new things and I will bend into joining Facebook in the situation my wife explained that Dave is trying to setup....That said, I have no problem with anyone disagreeing with me but once they start using internet bully tactics instead of intellectual discussion that defeats the purpose for me.

Either make new friends, or stay here and keep the ones you have despite all the censorship.

I still think Klipsch is making a mistake kicking us out instead of simply allowing a volunteer forum where folks agree to keep it civil--This is OUR country and trying to reach consensus instead of always dividing us means all those interties that both the right and left hate 'win' as long as nothing gets accomplished--Jeff, BRING BACK YOUR LIST of the 10 things you wanted to see accomplished under this POTUSA that you posted prior to the election! I agreed with 8 of the points and it seemed we only disagree on Foreign Policy...Your main thing seems to be the Economy and on that I am sure we could hash that out better than the Congress we have today....On that note: 

1 hour ago, Mallette said:

OK, it's done.  But I need email addresses from those who wish to give it a shot so I can create the group.  If you are willing, send me your email address at damallette@mallette.org.

Dave

Done! Now I need to talk to my wife to see how I should set up my facebook account but that will be done later in the day because she is figuring Sales Tax stuff so we can help fund our local government. 

28 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Because we're drawn to this place because of Klipsch speakers, not BS.  There's maybe half a dozen people lamenting the demise of the BS section.  The Klipsch forum can survive without the BS area but obviously the BS area can't survive on its own without Klipsch.

If that is how you see it then I suggest you have gone corporate. I liked this place because it wasn't just about Speakers. I actually admired what Paul Klipsch seemed to personify--A renegade who seemed to flash his BS button even to his pastor when he didn't agree with him even though the dude owned Klipsch speakers. He also seemed to care about the same things we discussed in the BS forum more than the things in the Lounge. My 2 cents.

1 hour ago, RT FAN said:

I am just bummed that the No BS forum closed before I got to check it out. At the rate I post it would have taken me another 40 years to qualify for the 5,000 post minimum to be allowed to enter.

That was the problem with the new forum. The thing is that it's hard to get 1,000 posts much less 5,000 talking about speakers even if you are a person who tried to help the new guys with their decisions. Nowadays you can usually google and get the answers you are looking for without ever hearing about the Klipsch Forum--The Klipsch Owner's thread over at AVS has over 3 million hits! 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Well, uh, considering the section itself was shut down and future access denied by Klipsch......ya think?

Ok I'll simplify it for you.  Attempts have been made by others to have a BS section for those interested.  None reached the level of participation here.  None seem viable.

Well, it IS done, but I've had some issues with the banner and not sure it is visible yet.  I had to stop to come teach at UA, but will be back on it and probably have it completed by 3 or a bit after.  

Bear in mind, you MUST have an FB page to sign up.  Not my rules.  However, you CAN set up a page that is hidden except for those you friend.  In spite of the reputation, probably no less loss of privacy than going to Amazon or even spending time here. 

Dave