Thinkers and Malcontents

Zen Traveler

35 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Why?  Because we don't want to do politics unless its on the Klipsch forum?

It just seemed odd.  I believe the facebook group was created out of a need and it seems that now the need is no longer there.  I suppose there are many conclusions that can be drawn.

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:
3 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

None of which make sense as far as I can tell...

Exactly.  That's why I'm not speculating but found it interesting.

I will posit a guess. Folks felt uncomfortable with some of the rhetoric and language going on.  I have thick skin but that was the main reasons I left and who knows if the few ladies who joined felt like they wanted to be subject to it.  Fwiw, it was billed to me to be a civil discussion Forum and if that is the new norm then we REALLY are going to have an unraveling of our civilization. Seriously, if we are living in the Communication Age and this is the way we communicate then so much for the Word ( or even Logos) being important. 

On 1/21/2018 at 10:45 PM, Zen Traveler said:

I want a place where issues are discussed and name calling is frowned upon. You and I have had many discussions where we haven't agreed but it never resorted to that.

I apologize if I ever name called anyone. I was younger and drank more perhaps. 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/22/2018 at 5:27 PM, Jeff Matthews said:

That's the whole point.  They don't want people arguing because in some cases, the people stop getting along, and it gets rather nasty!  We've seen that in the old arguments over "tubes vs. SS" and "digital vs. analog."  People will argue about anything. 

The difference is that Klipsch, on the one hand, desires its unusually high activity for a manufacturer's forum.  On the other hand, it wants it to be all fun and games with very modest dissent, if at all.   I can certainly see the balance there, and from appearances, I guess it seems to work out alright.  I am seeing new names all the time with more than a few hundred posts.  Something's working.

Granted, it's a lot more boring than in those days of old, but most assuredly, arguments over speaker coils can get a bit over the top.  It wasn't the speaker coils that were so entertaining, but rather the spectacle of the participants going at it on a speaker forum of all places!  Had there been freedoms like those you can find in the Netherworld of the internet, I don't think it could have possibly been as fun to watch.  

I haven't even looked over in 2-chan in a long time.  Is 2-chan relevant anymore?  Do they still argue about these things over there, or are these just memories of a bygone era?  It wouldn't matter, anyway.  Digital and SS won.  

2 channel is stale. Digital and analog is a tie and tubes rule.

3 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

So you're saying it failed due to lack of moderation?

I don't know what happened after I left. Insofar as moderation is concerned, I thought several things were over the line and evidently was the only one, so I decided the place wasn't for me....I still think the number one reason people don't discuss political issues is because of uncivil discourse.  

Btw, I gather conversations aren't continuing over on the Facebook Heritage Group. If  it's demise happened when I left I contend it's due to those who don't understand what I said above....Regardless, I hope everyone is doing well and can't help but think the political climate is leaving people with opinions they'd like to share, somewhere. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CECAA850 said:
3 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

Great! I'll pack up and meet you there. 🙂 

I think I'm going to Kathmandu.  That's really really where I'm going to.  If I ever get out of here, that's what I'm gonna do.

If that was an invite I already accepted Jeff's invitation. Plus, he has a 10 point plan I want to use as a blueprint going forward....If he can ever find it. 🤑

1 minute ago, CECAA850 said:

It would be a more attractive world too.

No doubt. Everyone has an opinion on how to change the world but when it comes down to an individual level to get down to business, they throw the responsibility to politicians and pundits. Unfortunately,  propaganda IS being exposed by government on a massive scale and that does have major bi-partisan consensus.

Otoh, chaos will bring on major change and even in the bible the learning process can be disastrous to humanity. Imo, folks need to stop speaking in tongues and more towards their fellow traveler.....On that note I must get to work.   

7 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Exactly.  That's why I'm not speculating but found it interesting.

@CECAA850

Carl,

I was a member of BS for several years as you well know. What you probably don't know is that I was a moderator on Dave's Facebook forum. In my estimation, the Facebook forum failed because it was the polar opposite of the BS forum. For your information purposes only, the BS forum was a stacked deck, with about 4 to 5 people on one side of the spectrum for every one on my side of the aisle. On Facebook, almost EVERYBODY involved was on my side of the spectrum, with only one or two on the other side of the aisle. And people got their feelings hurt with the role reversal. NO, it wasn't fair, but neither was BS, people still got ganged up on, though I wasn't so thin skinned, or maybe I'm just thick in the head like that.

Roger